Confirmed with Link: Tyson Barrie signs two-year deal ($2.6M AAV link #324)

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I think Elliott is going to go the way of Gaunce, Cohen, Williams, and many others before them. Don't think he'll ever get over playing scared.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Elliott has more scoring ability than Cumiskey. Offensively Elliott is the superior player. Defensively they are about the same, but Elliott has room to grow.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Elliot has a shot and skating. He's just as bad as Cumiskey in other departments.

Elliott can puck handle, has offensive IQ, is better at QB'ing a PP... basically everything offensively short of being as slick a skater. And honestly, aside from Cumiskey's speed being an asset defensively, he was probably worse than Elliott.

People just seem to forget that it was Elliott's strength that inhibited him, not his positioning. He actually tried to be in the right place and similar to Barrie last year/early this year had trouble keeping his positioning on the ice.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
People just seem to forget that it was Elliott's strength that inhibited him, not his positioning. He actually tried to be in the right place and similar to Barrie last year/early this year had trouble keeping his positioning on the ice.

To go along with that Elliott might be one of those people genetically limited to ever being able to put and keep on muscle. It seems like he can't get any bigger or stronger. IIRC that was always a major concern and one of the big reasons he slipped from being a top 25 pick.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Um. Wouldn't that then make your "ceiling" = to sea level? Which is kind of low…. ;)

Ahahaha. But the world is 71% water. Look at how long sharks have been able to survive. Plus I get all the mermaids I want. I need my mermaid love.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Few players could skate like Kyle Cumiskey.

I have a feeling the Avs are never going to see Elliott's top potential as a member of their organization. Either they're going to send him down again and lose him to waivers, or they're going to keep him as a 7th/8th defenseman and kill any continued development. Or they could trade him, of course.

The only other possibility is him making the Avs' top 6 on the blueline, but I don't see that as terribly likely. He'd have to have a monster camp, or someone else would have to get hurt.

And Elliott has that kind of skating with better puck skills and a wrister that's on par with those wheels. I to don't think he'll get there with our organization, but that doesn't mean I don't recognize the tools that are there and don't want to see him given as long as we can.

People get hurt and starting the year as our #7 didn't stop Barrie from becoming our second best dman by the end of the year. Now if everyone stays healthy and Redmond turns out to be a great pick up and not just an improved Benoit, then yeah it's hard to see Elliott breaking through but I'm far from convinced that if he got put on waivers he wouldn't end up back with our organization by year's end.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The problem with talking about Elliotts potential is that the gap between ability and potential is so massive that at age 23 potential becomes almost irrelevant.

Potential only means something if you have a chance to reach it. When it comes to Elliott it's better to speak of more tangible things such as the tools he has (skating, wrist shot, decent vision and passing).

As for Barrie vs Elliott. From the first ten games of each Barrie was that player that stood out. Not because he was more ready. I'm not sure he was but because of the combination of fearlessness/confidence and instincts. Those are things you have or you don't. He's been jerked back and forth by both Roy and Sacco and he still never is afraid to jump up in the play when he gets a chance.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The problem with talking about Elliotts potential is that the gap between ability and potential is so massive that at age 23 potential becomes almost irrelevant.

Potential only means something if you have a chance to reach it. When it comes to Elliott it's better to speak of more tangible things such as the tools he has (skating, wrist shot, decent vision and passing).

As for Barrie vs Elliott. From the first ten games of each Barrie was that player that stood out. Not because he was more ready. I'm not sure he was but because of the combination of fearlessness/confidence and instincts. Those are things you have or you don't. He's been jerked back and forth by both Roy and Sacco and he still never is afraid to jump up in the play when he gets a chance.

Sacco once tried to convince us all that barrie was the 8th man on the depth chart behind stalwarts Zanon, SOB, Quincey

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

I wouldn't say that... I would say that in the areas that Elliott lacks, he is going to have to make HUGE strides over the course of this season to remain in the organization (if he survives that long). He isn't lacking in many areas, but the areas he lacks in makes for huge holes in his game. In his areas of strength, he is pretty close to his potential.

If he comes into camp with 10 more pounds of muscle and has finally learned that he needs to be more physical, then he will be in the lineup opening night. If that doesn't happen, he will be on waivers within the first month of the season. This is by far the biggest training camp of his young career.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

If you're comparing first ten games between them, I don't think it's much of a competition. Elliott had the better debut with the club.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
One of my favourite Sacco moments was when he scratched Barrie one game and played him top pairing the next.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Some of us still believe in Elliott having a higher offensive season than Barrie. Is that such a bad thing?

Not at all. But "Elliott having a higher offensive season than Barrie" is different than "potential to be one of the best offensive defensemen in the NHL".

In any case, it would be really nice to see Elliott begin to realize his potential this season though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Not at all. But "Elliott having a higher offensive season than Barrie" is different than "potential to be one of the best offensive defensemen in the NHL".

In any case, it would be really nice to see Elliott begin to realize his potential this season though.

Barrie is probably a top 25-30 offensive defensemen in the NHL right now (probably regarded as 15-20 by the end of the season)... if Elliott has higher potentiall offensively, wouldn't that signal one of the best offensive defensemen in the NHL if he lived up to it?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Good interview with Barrie.

http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/worthreading/2014/9/8/avs-barrie-recounts-roy-boudreau-incident
On playing for Patrick Roy:

“It’s great. I think everybody gets to see the fiery passion that he has and get to see him go off the wall sometimes, but he’s good with us. You can tell he’s put his time in in juniors and he’s a really good coach. He never loses his cool with us. I think the great thing about him is you can tell he’s a really smart hockey person. He’s always making adjustments during the game and he’s got a good demeanor.â

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I recommend going to that article and clicking on the radio link to hear the actual interview from Barrie. Nothing earth shattering but it's a 10 minute interview so a lot of comments are expanded beyond the recap.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
You can tell from that quote that Barrie really likes the kinder, gentler approach from coaches. Most players do, I think, but some guys do really well with a fiery coach (Roenick, Jokinen with Keenan)

I get the sense that players like a fiery coach at first, but they get tired of it really quick when the team is not doing so hot. Fire and passion then turn to anger and screaming. Maybe that's just college though with nothing but basically kids on the roster.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I somehow totally missed that we had signed Barrie.

Fantastic deal imo. Cheaper than I expected and two years is a great bridge deal.

The season cannot come soon enough!!

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I get the sense that players like a fiery coach at first, but they get tired of it really quick when the team is not doing so hot. Fire and passion then turn to anger and screaming. Maybe that's just college though with nothing but basically kids on the roster.

That's why Patty has the perfect demeanor IMO. He's a player's coach, and he doesn't yell and scream at the guys, but when he talks, he's intense and passionate so he captures everyone's attention.

Usually players coaches are more soft spoken, and guys end up tuning them out a bit because there isn't as much accountability. There's plenty of accountability with Patrick because he's going to let the players know about every detail, and you can't really tune him out because of his inflections when he talks, and how passionate he sounds.

Combine that with being one of the smarter hockey minds in the business, his head coaching experience from 8 years behind the bench in junior, and his storied HOF career that instantly gains respect among players by itself, and I don't think you could have a better combination of traits for this new era of coaching.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
That's why Patty has the perfect demeanor IMO. He's a player's coach, and he doesn't yell and scream at the guys, but when he talks, he's intense and passionate so he captures everyone's attention.

Usually players coaches are more soft spoken, and guys end up tuning them out a bit because there isn't as much accountability. There's plenty of accountability with Patrick because he's going to let the players know about every detail, and you can't really tune him out because of his inflections when he talks, and how passionate he sounds.

Combine that with being one of the smarter hockey minds in the business, his head coaching experience from 8 years behind the bench in junior, and his storied HOF career that instantly gains respect among players by itself, and I don't think you could have a better combination of traits for this new era of coaching.

The other thing that makes Patrick so effective at getting players' attention is that he is perfectly willing to go ballistic at refs and opposing players and coaches. Even though he takes the kinder and gentler approach with his own players, I'd guess that they're all aware of what he is capable of and wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of one of his tirades.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Patrick is a leader of men. His presence alone commands respect. Hes kinda like a mafia Don in that respect. Patrick Gambino.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I think (hope) the players don't see Roy as a players' coach, or as a hardass coach.

I think (hope) they see him as one of them; that they're all in this together, through better or worse. He's part of the team, not just the coach of the team.

He's the kind of leader that leads from the front, not from the back. And I think (hope) they would follow him wherever/however he decides to go. He has their back, and they have his.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad