Confirmed with Link: Tyson Barrie signs two-year deal ($2.6M AAV link #324)

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Figured maybe since he looked like he had finally started to establish himself in the NHL he was worthy of his own thread.

Where does he fit big picture on the Avs?
What term and salary is looking for?
Any residual effects of the ROR saga?
He is offer sheet eligible, so by the small chance it happens, what would the Avs look at matching vs taking the compensation?

I doubt much will be done until after July 23, but I think the Avs will shoot for a 2-3 year bridge deal @ < 3m.

If ROR is on his way out, however, it could open the salary cap door to a longer contract similar but probably less than Josi or Voynov's.

There is the Newport influence though, and the bridge deal seems to be something that is avoided as much as possible with more prominent Newport clients.

Thoughts?

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I am personally hoping for a bridge contract. He had a good year but who knows just how badly Cooke affected him long term. Plus it's not like we can give him anything too high considering we need space either for O'Reilly or for whoever comes back in a trade for O'Reilly.

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
What has he even accomplished? Getting kneed by Cooke?

Sign or get traded, serf.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I think the Avs shouldn't play hardball with Barrie. Offer him a Josi-like deal and get it done with. A bridge contract will just bite us harder in 2 years.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Too bad Dater couldn't have asked his "NHL source" about Barrie so we don't even know if its a "watch" or not considering we have not heard one thing about how talks are going. So maybe quiet is good.

I actually think a bridge deal makes sense for both parties in that he only really had half a season showing what he really could do. The Avs need to see if he can build off of that but Barrie also shouldn't want his long term salary set by such a small sample size. What if he turns into Karlsson, he could seriously devalue himself by taking the best he can get now long term.

If Newport absolutely insists he has to sign longer than 2 years it wouldn't be the hill I'd die on but then I'm sure they would be asking for the 4+ range. Someone his age would be dumb to sign long term for anything less than that.

I really don't know what value they are going for 2.5-3 seems to be a fair assumption but who knows what Newport has in mind.

I like Barrie but IF this turns into a similar type of fiasco we are accustomed to dealing with then I really have no qualms about moving on.

hawk30

Oct 5, 2009
Rochester, NY
The Redmond and Noreau signings, plus Elliott, make me uneasy about where this might be heading. I'd be upset to see Barrie leave.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
The Redmond and Noreau signings, plus Elliott, make me uneasy about where this might be heading. I'd be upset to see Barrie leave.

A ROR + Barrie trade could be pretty profitable though.
Not sure it's Seth Jones, Trouba, or dare I wish Fowler level, but it could return 2+ very good pieces to slot right into the lineup without seriously downgrading in an area.

I see Barrie as a 4/5 on a good playoff team though, so perhaps I'm more inclined to move him than some.

FoppaForsberg*

If we could package Barrie with ROR, that could net a very nice return. I'd rather not trade either though.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'm pretty sure signing older, unproven guys has nothing to do with Barrie and more to do with Elliott and building some depth.

Not worried at all about Barrie signing at this point.

hawk30

Oct 5, 2009
Rochester, NY
Not sure it's Seth Jones, Trouba, or dare I wish Fowler level, but it could return 2+ very good pieces to slot right into the lineup without seriously downgrading in an area.

I see Barrie as a 4/5 on a good playoff team though, so perhaps I'm more inclined to move him than some.
Definitely players out there I wouldn't mind flipping them for. In fact, notwithstanding their contract situations, Barrie and O'Reilly's values could well be near their peak.

OldSchoolAvalanche*

Give him 3.5 at 4 seems fair all the way around ... But its Newport maybe they want 10.5 @8

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
There's no arbitration with him so I have no worry about him being signed or being signed to something fair.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
There's no arbitration with him so I have no worry about him being signed or being signed to something fair.

He could hold out and do the exact same as O'Reilly did the first time. Not saying he will but just saying we are not out of the woods at all.

Sakic and Roy wouldn't let it get that far anyway. Barrie is a nice player to have but he's not a cornerstone, he doesn't have much leverage.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Jones and Trouba are on the verge of surpassing Fowler. Cam Fowler has no defensive game and his physicality is that of an ant versus a Dragonite.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I bet they want to do $2.8M for two years, and Newport is insisting on $3.5-4M for three.

Barrie is a prime example of a player that should get a bridge deal, having really only stuck in the NHL halfway through last season, and Newport is philosophically against bridge deals. Hopefully Barrie plays a bigger role in his negotiations than O'Reilly and puts a priority on just getting a deal done rather than top dollar at all costs.

Last edited:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

I think what we saw from Barrie during the playoffs was that of a future Dan Boyle, #2/3 type player. He was dynamic offensively and effective defensively because he made himself hard to play against using his speed and positioning. Given another few seasons to gain strength, he could very well add some lower body strength to help his defensive game.

3.75-4.25mil x 6-7 years would be fantastic.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I think what we saw from Barrie during the playoffs was that of a future Dan Boyle, #2/3 type player. He was dynamic offensively and effective defensively because he made himself hard to play against using his speed and positioning. Given another few seasons to gain strength, he could very well add some lower body strength to help his defensive game.

3.75-4.25mil x 6-7 years would be fantastic.

I definitely think Barrie has the potential to be a 2-3 defender. He is dynamic offensively and was progressing defensively. Having watched him play in Jrs, he also has the potential for a physical game (and we started seeing flashes of that towards the end of the season). However, my wariness comes from that knee injury, he relies a lot on his skating ability and he may not be as effective if that is altered long-term. I'd much rather a bridge contract and then a longer deal if he shows no ill effects.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I'd love a Josi-type deal. He does not deserve it now, and much less than Josi, but it could turn into something great if he keeps it up. Doubt Newport would do that though.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Jones and Trouba are on the verge of surpassing Fowler. Cam Fowler has no defensive game and his physicality is that of an ant versus a Dragonite.

Fowler's defensive game is improving quite a bit I think, and I agree his physical game is lacking, but I have rarely seen a game of his the last couple years that I did not like his play.

He's a long shot at best since the Kessler deal and his value to the Ducks with that contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad