Confirmed with Link: Tyson Barrie signs two-year deal ($2.6M AAV link #324)

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
That's a little crazy. You don't get paid Kane/Toews money for simply having a 80 pt season. They're the only ones making $10M+ for a reason.

I do think they'll lock him up next year though at the earliest, and it will be long term for around $7M.

Kane has had one season where he cracked 80 points. Toews never has. Yes, they bring more than just scoring (well, Toews does anyhow). But realistically, they are the only ones making that much because they are the only ones of that skill level that signed a contract this year. Do you really think MacKinnon will not be able to prove that he has the skill to match them, if he goes PPG in his sophomore year? What do you think Stamkos will be signing for next year (or the year after if he does not extend)? It wont be just 7 figures.

That said, I think that including UFA years in MacKinnon's next contract is a no-go. For both sides. Too much risk of injury wiping out his chances for the team to do it, and too much potential cash left on the table for Nate. But I would be surprised if he gets less than $7m per for the remaining RFA years, and it will be cheaper if the Avs get him to do them all on one contract.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't see why injuries would be any more of a concern when giving MacK his long term deal than they were when we extended Dutchy or Landy. So I don't really get your point there.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
They gave Landy a 7 year deal they can give Nate an 8 year deal. I'd have no problems giving that to him tomorrow. And if the unthinkable happens there is the bailout that is LTIR. Maybe they don't go 8 but 6 or 7 sets him for a very nice UFA payday when he's 27/28, it's not leaving money on the table. To give a 20 year old $50 million guaranteed is a lot of money. People tend to overestimate what players are going to get. Nate is going to deserve a lot of money, he already does now but he's not getting Kane and Toews money off of an ELC.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I guess I'm just not seeing what the difference in the injury risk is with regards to each guys experience. Yes it was dutchy's third contract but did that somehow make him less likely to have his career ended? What am I missing that makes you worry?

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
FTR, the $10m years would ONLY be the UFA years. ~$7m per for the rest of RFA, and $10m per for years after that. And that is only if he breaks 80 points this year. If he regresses, then the numbers dip a bit, or they wait until next year to extend.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Just the amount of money involved, for a player that has not played enough to show that he is not injury prone. NOT that I think he is...but at this point, he is not even 20yo yet, so the question nags at me.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Ok, that I can get, but the deal wouldn't be signed til next summer, and at that point, if he's still not missed any real time, he'd be looking less injury prone than either Dutchy or Landy were when they signed their deals.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't think it is a problem. Like I said, if MacK misses any significant time they can use LTIR to get that cap space back. There should be no reason to hesitate to give a player money because of possible injury at his age. He had a knee injury his final year in Halifax and is fine now. Its the last thing I'd worry about.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
The LTIR type injuries are not what bother me. It is the ones that allow a player to play, but never again at the level they once did. They are rare, but for some reason, I am worried about it with Nate. Which sucks, as he is my new favorite player (had a conversation this summer that changed my mind).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I actually share those worries, though I tell myself it's just me irrationally projecting everything that went wrong with roenick's career onto Nate, since the kid looks so much like an even-faster pre-injury JR, minus the being a total ****** off of the ice part.

Either way I don't think patty or Sakic will have the same hesitation.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Does it make you feel better that he's had a knee injury and is obviously ok? I worry about injury all the time too but nothing in the debilitating sense. He's a strong healthy kid, he will be fine. His entire game isn't speed anyway.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No, knowing that he already had a minor issue with his knee in junior makes it worse. But I know it's wholly irrational and based around the similarities with jr. So I don't stress about it, just a low level bad feeling when my mind wanders about where MacK will max out and how he'll be remembered after his career.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Kane has had one season where he cracked 80 points. Toews never has. Yes, they bring more than just scoring (well, Toews does anyhow). But realistically, they are the only ones making that much because they are the only ones of that skill level that signed a contract this year. Do you really think MacKinnon will not be able to prove that he has the skill to match them, if he goes PPG in his sophomore year? What do you think Stamkos will be signing for next year (or the year after if he does not extend)? It wont be just 7 figures.

That said, I think that including UFA years in MacKinnon's next contract is a no-go. For both sides. Too much risk of injury wiping out his chances for the team to do it, and too much potential cash left on the table for Nate. But I would be surprised if he gets less than $7m per for the remaining RFA years, and it will be cheaper if the Avs get him to do them all on one contract.

They get that money because they are highly skilled, and highly proven in both the regular season AND the playoffs where they've lead their team to the cup twice playing big parts in each. They were also both pending UFA's.

Nate will get a very hefty raise, but he doesn't get $10m+ for a 60 point rookie year, and an 80 point follow up and no cups. Even with a cup this year, it seems rather high for a 20 year old. You have to have an insane first two seasons to earn as much as the highest paid players in the NHL.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
They were also both pending UFA's.

And I am talking about Nate's UFA years. It would be stupid of him to give any one of those away for less than $10m per. It may not seem like he is worth that much now, but if things go as projected, he will be worth at least that much when the time comes for him to sign that first UFA contract. Inflation means that the $10.5m those guys are getting in his contract year becomes the equivalent of $8.63m in today's dollars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad