Confirmed with Link: Tyrel Bauer 3 year elc

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Nothing wrong with having that element. But it is only one element and if that is all he brings to the table he will never make it. Nobody uses designated tough guys that can't take a regular shift any longer.
Who knows maybe we draft his d partner on the Thunderbirds. They seem to be able to lock it down pretty good at the W level.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Even if he comes and plays on the AHL team for the next 3 to 5 years riding shotgun for our younger,skilled guys its a win

My only gripe with this kind of signing is you can find a myriad of these types of guys already lifers in the AHL and lower who can beat the doors off people and play a little bit of a defensive hockey. Heck I played with like 5 guys growing up who are no different than this kid and are all 4th line/3rd pairing farm hockey lifers.

I'm not sure we really needed to waste a draft pick on the kind of player that is a dime a dozen. We could have just waited it out and tried signing him when he graduated.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
My only gripe with this kind of signing is you can find a myriad of these types of guys already lifers in the AHL and lower who can beat the doors off people and play a little bit of a defensive hockey. Heck I played with like 5 guys growing up who are no different than this kid and are all 4th line/3rd pairing farm hockey lifers.

I'm not sure we really needed to waste a draft pick on the kind of player that is a dime a dozen. We could have just waited it out and tried signing him when he graduated.
I see where you're coming from, but you never really know how these guys will develop after a few years. The Jets could have really liked him for all his physical tools and fighting prowess, and also saw room for growth in other areas of his game. A combination like that is probably worth a shot in the later rounds

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Turned on the game (Seattle vs Edmonton) to watch Bauer and Guenther. Guenther is not playing (?) and Bauer gets a game misconduct 5 minutes in.

Poop

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
A player who averages .25 pts/game or less in the WHL throughout his career will have no (positive) impact on the Jets organization now or in the future. This is a nothing burger signing.

I tend to agree that his chances of playing on the Jets one day are slim. Interesting to note that his production in Juniors was better than Ben Chairot in their draft years. Just like Benny you drop a player like this in the ECHL AHL for 4 or 5 seasons and see what happens.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Why is an Oilers fan perusing this thread on our board, of all threads? :laugh:

As for the hit, I don’t think it was that bad. A collision between too players with a very bad end-result, but nothing malicious there. Certainly isn’t worse than Sourdif’s hit (and wasn’t really a hit so much as it was a tackle, though) on Savoie.

I tend to agree that his chances of playing on the Jets one day are slim. Interesting to note that his production in Juniors was better than Ben Chairot in their draft years. Just like Benny you drop a player like this in the ECHL AHL for 4 or 5 seasons and see what happens.
Yeah, I think the best we can realistically hope for out of him is he becomes an everyday AHLer. But his draft position makes it no biggie and there’s no harm in signing him and seeing if he develops at the pro level.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

6th rd pick. How many of them ever make it in the NHL? Really nothing risked.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I watched game 3 and I wasn't overly impressed with Bauer. He stopped one play by being big that I remember, he had a PK goal go between his skate and stick, on a no look play that sealed the fate. Seems like he's the kind of guy that players with good edges should dance at the pro level.

If you can kill penalties in the NHL, special teams are so important now, there's a chance for you. That was Benny's chance. I like the comparison.

Reactions: ps241

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
It was totally predatory. Bauer did it on purpose. Seen him, lined him up and shoulders into him. Pretty sad. Probably get extra discipline.

Your opinion is terrible. Both guys looking at the puck in the far corner and they collide but Bauer sees him and braces at the last second and the other guy didn't. Unfortunate but I think to be predatory you'd need to actually move with an intent to hit the person. Bauer is essentially standing still and to Oil King skates into him.

In fact, if the Edmonton player wasn't injured I would be arguing that it should have been an interference penalty on them as they were picking the D so he couldn't get to the net front.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Your opinion is terrible. Both guys looking at the puck in the far corner and they collide but Bauer sees him and braces at the last second and the other guy didn't. Unfortunate but I think to be predatory you'd need to actually move with an intent to hit the person. Bauer is essentially standing still and to Oil King skates into him.

In fact, if the Edmonton player wasn't injured I would be arguing that it should have been an interference penalty on them as they were picking the D so he couldn't get to the net front.
I'm not a Jets fan so i'll tread carefully on your board.. Bauer sees him coming and leans into a guy that is standing straight up. and not looking at him.. completely unsuspecting. Didn't go running around looking for it but certainly made the most of the opportunity to lay him out... 5 and a game deserved. Supplemental possible.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Is this even a discussion if the Edmonton player gets back up? No, not at all.

This is what happens when you punish plays on the end-result/optics instead of the actual play.

This was a collision between two players and if the Oil King gets back up there then nothing is called.

Bauer is a nothing prospect for us for the most part but I fail to see anything predatory there at all.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I'm not a Jets fan so i'll tread carefully on your board.. Bauer sees him coming and leans into a guy that is standing straight up. and not looking at him.. completely unsuspecting. Didn't go running around looking for it but certainly made the most of the opportunity to lay him out... 5 and a game deserved. Supplemental possible.

He wasn't standing straight up, he was turning while looking at the corner and not to his left. Bauer does see him coming and extends his arm out as the player collides with him, but the Edmonton player was not standing straight up - it looks like he realized last second he was about to run into Bauer and tried to maybe alter his course?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Yup. It’s not Bauer’s fault the guy had no idea where he was and he ran right into a brick wall. And now Bauer got 2 games for it. Seattle fans are not happy.
That’s embarrassingly bad for the WHL. The ICE lost Pederson for a game for nothing but Sourdif took out Savoie with a high hit and got nothing. Makes you wonder.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
That’s embarrassingly bad for the WHL. The ICE lost Pederson for a game for nothing but Sourdif took out Savoie with a high hit and got nothing. Makes you wonder.

Yup. We lost one of top six guys in rybanski to a questionable hit.

Plus the birds only had 2 games at home due to a scheduling conflict. So we’re all in a piss poor mood

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Yup. We lost one of top six guys in rybanski to a questionable hit.

Plus the birds only had 2 games at home due to a scheduling conflict. So we’re all in a piss poor mood
I heard about the “scheduling mishap.” That’s pretty egregious for a league final. Was there really no way around it?

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Not Bauer related, but I am curious what you guys are hearing about Chaz Lucius. Is he going to juniors? Seattle has his brother, Cruz who just decommited from univ of Minnesota

I heard about the “scheduling mishap.” That’s pretty egregious for a league final. Was there really no way around it?

Apparently the home arena had high school
Graduations set up. But with all the junior rinks with in 2-3 hour drives and they couldn’t find one? Yeah disappointing

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Not Bauer related, but I am curious what you guys are hearing about Chaz Lucius. Is he going to juniors? Seattle has his brother, Cruz who just decommited from univ of Minnesota

Apparently the home arena had high school
Graduations set up. But with all the junior rinks with in 2-3 hour drives and they couldn’t find one? Yeah disappointing
From what I remember on our board I think the speculation was he was almost certainly going to junior next year.

Reactions: superdeluxe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad