Player Discussion Tyler Toffoli

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
What I noticed right off the bat is that Toff knows how to get into the clear. Something that Ritchie and the dearly departed Pitlick didn't really excel at.

If he can mentor Dube on how to do that as well we will have quite an effective '3rd' line along with Monahan.

I believe Toffili is genuinely excited to be in Calgary. His friends on the team will show him the area (when they have time) and when you're winning hockey is fun. Life too.

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
As a Habs fan, I will miss Tyler..I loved him in Montreal and I’m pretty sure you guys are gonna love him in Calgary. This was needed for our rebuild!

good luck Tyler

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
As a Habs fan, I hope he scores 40 next year playing with good players for a full season. He has a gift for scoring. He can do it.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
He's wonderful and I'll protect him with my life

75345359-74e2-4e54-8b06-2d81401a9c5b_text.gif

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I wanted us Habs to get more in a trade of Toffoli than we got.

But I'm rooting for him to get 40 with you guys at least in one season. I love the way he scores and is savy defensively, despite a lack of footspeed. Awesome player that I wish nothing but the best for.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Luckily he plays special teams

Im happy they made room for him on PP1, it makes this team much better, and make Toffoli a cost worth paying for (albeit I would have still preferred a centre, though it appears that may have not been an option).

It makes Monahan about as absolutely worthless as possible, but him being a buyout candidate is more real today than it’s ever been.

Hoping Toffoli can find some chemistry with Ruzicka; if those two found some chemistry and that third line became one that could score at any time… good luck come playoff time. Not many teams could look at that matchup.

Reactions: DFF

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
You ask any Flame at the beginning of the season I guarantee no one had Toffoli as our leading scorer with a dozen games left in the season.

I don't know how he did it, but the guy performed this year when everyone else was mediocre/faltered.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
You ask any Flame at the beginning of the season I guarantee no one had Toffoli as our leading scorer with a dozen games left in the season.

I don't know how he did it, but the guy performed this year when everyone else was mediocre/faltered.

I think he truly benefits and is super familiar with Sutter's system. He isn't a very fast guy, but he's responsible defensively, has a good shot, and is smart. He's had horrible puck luck with the amount of posts he's been hitting even going back to last year as well.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think at the same time there is a marked difference in how he is moving at the moment compared to this time last year. I really think something wasn't right health-wise, because last year on a very good team he was in full coast-mode and only really got chances when the puck happened to find him. Right now he's skating powerfully and driving play.

I was pretty fed up with him last year in the playoffs, but right now I'm super impressed and glad he's on the squad.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017

He's just a good player. He's not an amazing player. But he's a good player. He gets a good amount of scoring chances and despite lots of posts and bad puck luck, he always shoots and sometimes those shots are going to go in. He also might not be the best skater, but he works his ass off and the effort is there.

That's my biggest positive about Toffoli. He has some bad games. But I never look at him and say the bad game is a result of a poor effort

I think at the same time there is a marked difference in how he is moving at the moment compared to this time last year. I really think something wasn't right health-wise, because last year on a very good team he was in full coast-mode and only really got chances when the puck happened to find him. Right now he's skating powerfully and driving play.

I was pretty fed up with him last year in the playoffs, but right now I'm super impressed and glad he's on the squad.
I think a big part of it was the new team adjustment and he really didn't seem to find a line he clicked with. And since Tkachuk/Lindholm/Gaudreau were stapled he never got a chance to play with our best players. Which for a goal scorer is kinda a death sentence

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Toffoli got a bad rap last year but all the signs of this season happening were there, he just doesn’t skate nice and was playing in last years ineffective bottom six. He’s just an extremely cerebral player, and not afraid to battle for every inch. Pair that with some great goal scorers instincts and you get this season when he’s given more opportunity and has developed some chemistry.

Also I hear lots of people giving him and Backlund shoutouts amongst our forwards, but Lindholm continues to be the most under appreciated Flame and my vote for the guy who stirs the drink. Guy has been through his fair share of personal issues this year, and is still giving us amazing results. It’s no coincidence that last year he centers some new linemates and both his linemates have career years, then he gets new linemates this season, and both his linemates have career years again. Hope Lindholm and Toffoli are glued together next season as well, and ride that impending positive regression wave next year together.

On a side note, if Mangiapane-Lindholm-Toffoli all stay together I’d like to start a formal petition to rename that group the PING line. Those 3 have combined for 29 posts this season, no other team in the league has a trio of players who have hit more, and we decided to put them all on the same line.

Last edited:

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Toffoli already surpassed his career high by 2 points last game and there's still 13 games left remaining in the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad