Player Discussion Tyler Toffoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The 'rumor de jour' has Tofoli wanting to return to Southern California.....so the debate over whether he re-signs here could soon be moot.

well that's normal for him too actually since he has a home in cali, of course his agent is probably telling him to explore other options too, and keep things flexible and open, there is no doubt in my mind he wouldn't mind playing here.

again guys we have the cap room to sign both toffoli and tanev, and also sign Hughes and Pettersson to their big contracts next year, but Markstrom will have to be gone, I think we need depth up front. Toffoli stepping up for Petterson numerous times during the regular season really help Petey's game, a luxury Edmonton doesn't really have and I think a mistake, they are making.

anyways i'm on bored with signing toffoli 5 million max. We let Pearson walk end of next year, his spot gets taken by Podkolzin. and we phase in our final piece of our core puzzle.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
are there many LTIR contracts out there that we can maybe take on in order to sign Toffoli and keep everybody else? The Leafs final cap hit was 95 million, which is a whopping 12 million more than Vancouver. That 12 million equates to two extra very good players.

This is not how it works. LTIR only starts to give you cap relief if you are exceeding the upper ceiling with the replacing player. Placing just Horton on LTIR would have not got them close enough to also signing Marner, hence they needed Clarkson.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
With Covid uncertainty having an impact to the cap structure let alone the feasibility of having a season, I do wonder if that impacts what Toffoli commands on an open market.

It’s suggested the non cornerstone RFA and UFAs, won’t get what they normally command.

I think Marky still will drive a high price, there are a number of good teams that were let down by unreliable goaltending this year.

Tanev and Toffoli, I’m inclined to think are less likely to get a major, major overpayment.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
This is not how it works. LTIR only starts to give you cap relief if you are exceeding the upper ceiling with the replacing player. Placing just Horton on LTIR would have not got them close enough to also signing Marner, hence they needed Clarkson.

Say what? So the Canucks can’t do what the Leafs did?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

You also have to fit the guys going on LTIR on the opening day roster and be cap compliant to use the LTIR cap relief because the injured player salary always counts towards the cap. Their cap doesn't go away. The team will be allowed to go over the cap by the amount of the cap hit of the player placed on LTIR minus the amount of cap space they had prior to the LTIR assignment.

You can also place them on the IR during the offseason prior to the start of the season to become cap compliant but you will lose a good chunk of the relief space that way (and maybe not get any...this is the scenario that always confuses me and I don't have a handle on tbh).

And, of course, you don't get to "bank" this relief for deadline additions like you can with actual cap space.

Reactions: Diversification

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Say what? So the Canucks can’t do what the Leafs did?

They can but it most likely wont help them in a way it could have helped Toronto. What the Leafs did was a precautionary thing to be able to sign Marner. Without Marner signed and without Clarkson the Leafs were sitting at about 79m caphit (incl Horton), which means they would not have been able to maximize the LTIR relief, to do so you must be as close to the cap (81.5m) as possible. In trading for Clarkson the Maple Leafs made sure they could create an opening night roster that would scratch at the cap ceiling even without having Marner signed they could have then LTIR'ed Clarkson and Horton to get about 10m relief and sign Marner. Now in the end they didnt really need the Clarkson contract as Marner signed before but it didnt hurt them either as they knew they would be a ceiling team and the contract would disappear.

It doesnt help the Canucks in the same way as they are already close to the cap, they dont need another contract to get them there. It is a different story if two of Markstrom, Tanev and Toffoli dont sign but again, what the Leafs did only helps under certain circumstances and whenever you touch LTIR it also means all the bonuses get deferred to the next year which could be very harmful for the Canucks in particular with Hughes and Pettersson combining for a potential 3.7m bonuses along with the 850k from this year that most likely will get deferred to 21-22

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
You also have to fit the guys going on LTIR on the opening day roster and be cap compliant to use the LTIR cap relief because the injured player salary always counts towards the cap. Their cap doesn't go away. The team will be allowed to go over the cap by the amount of the cap hit of the player placed on LTIR minus the amount of cap space they had prior to the LTIR assignment.

You can also place them on the IR during the offseason prior to the start of the season to become cap compliant but you will lose a good chunk of the relief space that way (and maybe not get any...this is the scenario that always confuses me and I don't have a handle on tbh).

And, of course, you don't get to "bank" this relief for deadline additions like you can with actual cap space.

LTIR in the off-season isnt really important as there is the 10% cap increase, it would only matter if you have already a high caphit team along with several potential LTIR contracts.

Most people assume that the full caphit of an LTIR player is saved but that is not the case. If your team sits at 75m and your $6m starplayer goes on LTIR you cant suddenly spend 12.5m on another players, in fact you would still only have 6.5m in capspace just like you had before. Now if your team is at 81m and your $6m player goes down you get a 5.5m relief that you could spend on a replacement instead of the 0.5m cap space you had before. The closer you are to the cap the more relief you get.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
If we re-sign him it will end up being a mistake.

This sort of late-20s 40-50 point player is the exact sort of player you absolutely do not want to give term to well into their 30s.

Agreed, anything over 4 years will be regretted.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
If we re-sign him it will end up being a mistake.

This sort of late-20s 40-50 point player is the exact sort of player you absolutely do not want to give term to well into their 30s.

Depends on the term. This is the only player I would re-sign out of the trio because his contract is likely to be the most moveable later on.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Depends on the term. This is the only player I would re-sign out of the trio because his contract is likely to be the most moveable later on.
And who replaces him in our lineup? Arguably, Marky can be replaced by Demko and a solid UFA, and
Tanev can be replaced by Stecher and Myers. Imo the drop off of the replacement for Tofu (Loui, or Jake, or Leivo) is far greater than with the other two UFAs.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
And who replaces him in our lineup? Arguably, Marky can be replaced by Demko and a solid UFA, and
Tanev can be replaced by Stecher and Myers. Imo the drop off of the replacement for Tofu (Loui, or Jake, or Leivo) is far greater than with the other two UFAs.

Adam Gaudette, the guy who scored at nearly a 50-point pace from garbage minutes in the bottom half of the roster and has no future on this team at C.

Toffoli is the easiest guy to replace, not the hardest. Finding someone to eat the minutes and matchups that Tanev chews up is *exponentially* more difficult.

Reactions: CherryCoke

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
One of the main reasons why Canucks are in cap trouble right now is they make too many mistakes trying to fix the top 6. Baer was suppose to play in the top 6. Did not work out, then they signed Ferland, Did not work out. It's like Benning is trying to find the right car, the lease is not finished yet, he decides to lease another car and another car until he finds one that is right. Now he is close to being in debt with so many car leases.

The point I am trying to make, Toffoli is the guy. He is legit top 6 guy, Find a way to sign him to reasonable contract. No more than 3 or 4 years at 5 M. If Benning doesn't resign Toffoli, chances are he might get more car leases that end up not being the right car.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sometimes a guy just works with a certain team.....and Tofoli may be that guy for the Canucks. He cut his teeth in the suffocating Kings defensive system of Darryl Sutter and is a seasoned playoff performer. Both he and Tanner Pearson have their names on the Cup. He's proven he can play up and down the roster. He's just as comfortable on the third line as he is in the top-six.

And from all reports, he really wants to return to VanCity and be part of this young corps going forward. I suppose there's a chance they could find somebody else as a UFA on the open market, but I doubt they'd bring as much to the table as Tofoli.

I really hope Benning can bring him back....but I guess it always come down to money and term.

Reactions: Canucks1096

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Canucks lack of scoring in tight games was a concern in the playoffs. The defence held up and played good considering the Canucks were hemmed in 70% of the time. The goaltending was good but became amazing when Demko stepped in. Forward depth was also poor; bottom 6 forwards not heavy, strong, fast and skilled enough. Based on these playoffs..

Priority #1 - Toffoli
Priority #2 - Tanev
Priority # 3 - Markstrom

Stecher should be resigned, but willing to let Virtanen go if it’s not a cheap contract.

Tanev could probably be replaced through free agency as there are some good defensive defenceman. Markstrom could be replaced by a decent veteran goalie that could split games with the up and coming Demko. Finding a replacement for Toffoli could also be found but there aren’t as many options and by not replacing him with someone comparable it would hurt the Canucks most in my opinion.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I'm skeptical of the Cali rumors. SJ is in cap hell right now and Northern Cali is not the same as living in LA, it's more like the Pacific Northwest. Anaheim is right up against the cap. LA has room, but they are a dumpster fire and just traded him out. I highly doubt he signs in LA, even if his partner works for the LA Dodgers.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Adam Gaudette, the guy who scored at nearly a 50-point pace from garbage minutes in the bottom half of the roster and has no future on this team at C.

Toffoli is the easiest guy to replace, not the hardest. Finding someone to eat the minutes and matchups that Tanev chews up is *exponentially* more difficult.

I’m not sure you can make the case that Gaudette and Toffoli have the same effect on the game.

Anyway, Tanev will be harder to replace, but Tanev is a clearly declining asset. His injury history only adds to the issue. On top of this, Tanev does not garner value league wide. There have been rumours that the market for him is soft (for a long time).

And so, there is no easy exit plan with a long-term Tanev contract. This is of the utmost importance with any player they sign.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad