Tyler Toffoli

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
I think TT has been good, but lets not pretend like he hasn't made mistakes as well. Just his mistakes he has 100-200 feet to make up for. Muzzin/VV's end up in the back of the net or with a great chance.

I still think Muzzin projects so well that 90% of this board are gonna look like fools....

TT is looking nice, I wonder how they will find room for him next year...or if they go with a slightly more offensive third line. (shouldn't be hard :laugh:)

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Absolutely not.

You are correct sir. Not even a little. I can try to post a few clips of a game where it was tried in Ottawa if anyone wants but it will only further establish the fact that the kid can't hang a louie. Not even a little. Might as well switch him to D.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Absolutely not.

Why not? Toffoli has scored a couple from the left side, and that's where he made his terrific play that got Voynov his goal. Sutter also indicated that he may have to switch to the left side in the near future:

Kings coach Darryl Sutter said last week Toffoli was recalled to add depth during the lockout-compressed schedule. Sutter then turned to seldom-used forward Brad Richardson starting with the Kings’ game March 31 against the Dallas Stars, leaving Toffoli as the odd-man out. Sutter also said Toffoli would have a difficult time cracking the Kings’ lineup in the immediate future because the team is loaded at the right wing and center positions. Sutter indicated Toffoli might be best served by shifting to left wing, where the Kings aren’t nearly as deep.

http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/20...kie-right-winger-tyler-toffoli-to-manchester/

On a side note, I didn't realize that The Daily News hired a new LA Kings blogger, it is kind of sad seeing all those blog entries and not a single comment, just a ghost town.

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
I still don't think he's a good enough skater to be a stud first line winger at this point. He's got enough talent/skill to get by and still be pretty productive but I think right now he's a 2nd line winger on the Richards and Carter line when everyone is healthy.

Still only 21, so if he can improve his skating like Tavares has since he's come into the league, the sky is the limit.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
How difficult is it for a player to switch from RW to LW?

There are many difficulties for wingers to make that switch if they are used to playing one position for most of their career. Here's a list of issues that the players may struggle with in making that change:

-Accepting passes on the backhand as opposed to forehand when playing on the off-wing.

-Taking pucks off the boards on the backhand or forehand.

-Rushing up the ice down the wing on the backhand as opposed to forehand.

-Cutting from the boards to the middle of the ice to left to right or vice versa, which can leave a player exposed to a backside checker.

-Players shooting from their off-wing inside the offensive zone may have a better quality shot as opposed to those shooting from their strong side, however, they also tend to put the puck wide a bit more. For example, a left hand shot coming down the right side is going to try to pick the top left corner since that's the strongest area of the net he could place a shot, and it isn't easy picking corners.

Those are just some of the things I could think of off the top of my head with what may cause a winger to struggle in making that transition. It's also about the individual players' comfort. If he's not comfortable adjusting to the opposite wing, then it isn't going to work.

I'm reminded of the Canucks trying to play Bure and Mogilny together, but they never clicked as linemates because they're both left-handed shots playing right wing, and one of them had to adjust to playing left wing, and their numbers took a hit as a result.

HolyShot*

I don't think its that hard to switch. I think its all political and coaching BS.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I don't think its that hard to switch. I think its all political and coaching BS.

1311_view.jpg

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Next season I'd love it if they'd put Carter on LW, Richie at centre and TT on RW just to see how it goes. Carter scores a lot of goals from the left side.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
To be honest, I like what I've seen from Carter the past two games. Not sure if I would move him back to LW again. He's much more involved now.

Can't even begin to tell you how wrong I was about him. Mark Morris SERIOUSLY did some work on this kid because he's nothing like he was in juniors.
Perhaps you just cant recognize talent. You admit you were wrong and than its because of Mark Morris. I dont agree.

I'm not saying Toffoli hasnt improved, but you wont change a player 180 degrees because he played a few months in the AHL. For instance, he always had those insane hands. All his goals/assists in the NHL were a result of that. He has a good shot, his skating was an issue but was massively overblown. He didnt work as hard in juniors but who would if you score 50 goals each season.

While I'm at it, this topic lacks one person who constantly needed to tell everyone that TT would get destroyed in these playoffs. That he wouldnt be an option to insert in the line-up. Of course he still has shortcomings, but so have Fraser, King, Clifford etc.

Last edited:

Captain Mittens*

To be honest, I like what I've seen from Carter the past two games. Not sure if I would move him back to LW again. He's much more involved now.
Can you give us this again without being honest?

Sydor25

LA Kings
Next season I'd love it if they'd put Carter on LW, Richie at centre and TT on RW just to see how it goes. Carter scores a lot of goals from the left side.

I would rather see Richards work all off season at playing LW and keep Carter at center. Richards hasn't looked as good on the wing as center, but I think it was because he kept drifting to the middle where Carter was and it screwed up the spacing. If he knows that he will come into next season on the LW, maybe he can start working on it mentally before camp.

Without signing anyone:

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Richards-Carter-Toffoli
King-Stoll-Lewis
Clifford-Vey-Nolan
Pearson/UFA

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
You have to adjust to either wing but it can be done. Alot depends on how comfortable a player is too. I prefer playing my off wing so I can one-time and cut to the middle a little easier to get off a shot.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
His style of play reminds me of Martin Straka. Not the biggest guy but will still go into the corners and doesn't appear to be afraid. I think his nickname should be Bunny Rabbit because he's always scrunching up his face.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
He's definitely not the best skater, but he seems to be keeping up with Carter OK. If he can keep up with Carter, he can keep up with anyone.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The Kings need to see if Toffoli can make the transition to the LW if at all possible.

I know it's difficult, but working on the skills required to make that change over the summer is something that would make him a better hockey player even if he does end up on the RW or at center.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Call me crazy but I wouldn't mind seeing him in Manchester next season with the occasional call up.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
He's definitely not the best skater, but he seems to be keeping up with Carter OK. If he can keep up with Carter, he can keep up with anyone.

His strides are just really choppy. Somehow he's still able to get around defenders on the rush. If he gets that cleaned up some, he'll be even more effective.

Someone compared TT's output with King of last year. Numerically, the comparison seems to work. Now, the difference is, King was opportunistic. He got chances and buried them. TT is creating opportunities and that makes all the difference between a potential 3rd liner and a potential 1st liner.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I still don't think he's a good enough skater to be a stud first line winger at this point. He's got enough talent/skill to get by and still be pretty productive but I think right now he's a 2nd line winger on the Richards and Carter line when everyone is healthy.

Still only 21, so if he can improve his skating like Tavares has since he's come into the league, the sky is the limit.

I still think he gets too much of a bad rap on skating. That dude has great hockey sense and he's probably the second best sniper right behind Carter *ALREADY*. Robitaille wasn't a good skater either. I think too many scouts look at skating. I'd take hockey sense and a wrist shot like he has any day of the week. The dude is just going to score goals. I think he's still pretty quick and he battles on the boards. And he's a friggin rookie! No way I trade this guy.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
working out in the summer will improve his CORE and overall strength which should led to improved skating also im sure jwills can move to 2nd line lw if needed to give the kid a chance to shine and give kopi the sniper he needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad