Prospect Info: Tyler Smilanic (Leaving Wisconsin)

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He had nice words for Rob Ramage, which seems to be par for the course for Ramage. He seems to have an impact with our prospects.

Good to hear Similanic stepped back to focus on himself.

Yea, Ramage has been good for the Habs. A lot of prospects have said how much Ramage has helped them because he's in constant communcation with them.

Just with the Boston area prospects Martineau interviewed lately, Tuch and Struble both mentioned Ramage. I recall Josh Brook talking about both Ramage and Bouillon. Evans said the fact Ramage never stopped going to see him or call him throughout his NCAA career was a reason he chose to sign with Montreal because he felt like the Canadiens cared even if he was a 7th round pick.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Mentioned this in the Rookie Camp thread, but will post it also in Smilanic's thread.

Godin is confirming that Smilanic is leaving Wisconsin & the NCAA to turn pro. He will obviously try to convince management to sign him. And according to Godin, it will most likly be an AHL deal, only thing to determine is if it will be a one-way or a two-way AHL/ECHL contract.

Habs have his rights for another year before they have to sign him to an ELC.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Not that I disagree, but 3r is a hell of a lot tougher sell for an american then Laval, especially for day to day living, it should be laval or university and nothing else IMO

University is out the window. He's planning to turn pro. Now if he's not willing to go to the ECHL, then maybe he's not worth signing (even an AHL deal) because it gives the impression he's not willing to put in the extra work required to start at the bottom and work his way up.

If he doesn't do enough to earn an AHL deal, they might do what they did with Tourigny last year and with Rohrer this year. That is send him to Europe to play a year of pro hockey there before coming over.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Not that I disagree, but 3r is a hell of a lot tougher sell for an american then Laval, especially for day to day living, it should be laval or university and nothing else IMO
There’s nothing to sell, it’s 3R or go home.

He’s a dime a dozen prospect who’s rights belong exclusively to the Habs and he’s decided to leave the ncaa by himself.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Mentioned this in the Rookie Camp thread, but will post it also in Smilanic's thread.

Godin is confirming that Smilanic is leaving Wisconsin & the NCAA to turn pro. He will obviously try to convince management to sign him. And according to Godin, it will most likly be an AHL deal, only thing to determine is if it will be a one-way or a two-way AHL/ECHL contract.

Habs have his rights for another year before they have to sign him to an ELC.

Odd he never finished his degree. I would have finished my degree. That close to finish Must been on hockey scholarship

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
There’s nothing to sell, it’s 3R or go home.

He’s a dime a dozen prospect who’s rights belong exclusively to the Habs and he’s decided to leave the ncaa by himself.
I think your misunderstanding my position, I honestly thought he’d go unsigned next summer.: just that three rivers would be a nail in it

Reactions: bcv

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Drafting someone who goes NCAA, you have their rights for 4 years.

Florida drafted him in 2020. So his rights expire in 2024.
I know that in general, but I thought that stops if the player quits school. However, it may still run less than 12 months to the next annual deadline, that is what I was not sure of.

Or maybe I'm totally confused.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Odd he never finished his degree. I would have finished my degree. That close to finish Must been on hockey scholarship
As long as you go to at least one semester, most, if not all colleges will allow you to finish your degree at a later date so he can always go back when he’s older or during off-season, etc.

Reactions: DAChampion

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
To be honest I didn't expect him to get signed even with an extra year of school. Turning pro early is certainly a choice. He was a big fish at a poor school and didn't produce, jumped to a better school and didn't even get ice time. Like actually worse than Jack Gorniak who the Habs didn't sign.

It's ECHL or nothing. If there's something there he has to prove it from the lowest level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad