Tyler Seguin=Joe Sakic?

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Sooo... at the draft of 2010 Seguin said to be comparable to Steve Yzerman in term of playing style, well it seem at every draft there is a new Yzerman but Seguin unlike Weiss or Turris who I really like could turn out to be as good.

Seguin said Yzerman was his childhood hero and he try to play like him. But fast forward 5 years now and Seguin have more or less establish himself in the League, do your guys still Think its true?

Personally I Think Seguin is comparable to Joe Sakic, maybe not career wise but style wise he play a similar style to Sakic. North-South kind of player with a give and go playing style along with a wicked wrist shot.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Sakic was a lot smarter, although Seguin may be more physically gifted in terms of his skill-set (size, skating, etc.). Still though, for as well as Seguin can shoot the puck, that was Sakic's m.o.; the release he had was just absurd.

I don't know. I'm not really seeing that great of a comparison TBH.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
I don't know, Sakic was actually a better playmaker than a goal scorer (though he was really good at both), where Seguin looks like he'll be an elite goal scorer and a pretty good playmaker.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I don't see Seguin ever matching Sakic's numbers, nor do I see him wearing the "C" in Dallas any time soon or taking on the leading role that Sakic wore so well, for so many years in Colorado.

That said, if he can even come close to being the player Sakic was, then I've got some great years to look forward to. :yo:

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
I don't see Seguin ever matching Sakic's numbers, nor do I see him wearing the "C" in Dallas any time soon or taking on the leading role that Sakic wore so well, for so many years in Colorado.

That said, if he can even come close to being the player Sakic was, then I've got some great years to look forward to. :yo:

Ofcourse not, I dont Think many prospects/Young players can match Sakics numbers due to different era.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Actually a pretty good comparison IMO.

Sakic was better but there are certainly similarities.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Though Sakic's wrister was one of the more lethal weapons in the history of hockey he was still a pass first guy. He was also a phenomenal two way player.

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton
Nope as others stated, Sakic was more of a playmaker. Also better 2 way game and leadership. Seguin is a bit more physically dominant.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Sakic was more of a playmaker (who could capitalize on opportunities and score goals). He was also VERY good defensively. If Sakic was in the league today he'd the best two-way forward in the game.

Sakic was also one of the most consistent players in history. Even an aging Sakic was good for PPG seasons, with great defensive play. In 07 a 38 year old Sakic finished 6th in points in the league. Out of the 5 people ahead of him 4 are at least 10 years younger than him, and the 5th is 6 years older. That's how good Sakic was.

Seguin's a different kind of player.

Last edited:

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I wouldn't call Seguin a "North-South" kind of player. He is not good enough defensively to warrant such a title.

Just IMO - but Seguin is similar to Joe at the same age. People remember the "late in career" Sakic, and Yzerman, who were both very good/great defensively. Early in their careers - both of those guys were both liabilities in their own zone.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
I think an early career Mike Modano is a better comparison.
Good call, I think he's a lot more similar to Modano than Sakic. A little better offensively, not as good defensively.
Just IMO - but Seguin is similar to Joe at the same age. People remember the "late in career" Sakic, and Yzerman, who were both very good/great defensively. Early in their careers - both of those guys were both liabilities in their own zone.
I'm not sure that Sakic was a liability so much as he was on an absolutely atrocious team.

Last edited:

evermix*

Seguin doesn't even begin to touch Sakic. Sakic in his prime was the best player in the world at a certain point in time. Seguin in his prime won't ever be the best player in the world, at any point in time. Seguin is not even the best player on his team.

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
Seguin's shot might be close. Its a sick weapon. I think though that Seguin plays, and lives, with more flare :naughty:

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Seguin's a great player, but I'm not seeing the similarities.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Seguin is a better player then Sakic was at his age. Don't think he'll get the accolades of Sakic though.

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
A player can't be compared to Sakic if he doesn't have the leadership ability Sakic did. It was a huge part of his style. I don't care how close they play to each other on the ice. If a player can't match everything Sakic did off the ice and in the locker room then he's not a good comparable.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I think an early career Mike Modano is a better comparison.

Agreed, that's a MUCH better comparison. Still not perfect, as Modano had a killer slap shot (even though he didn't use it a lot); I haven't seen that from Seguin. But it's still a much closer comparison than Sakic or Yzerman, who were both smarter, much better defensively and better play-makers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad