Tyler Seguin=Joe Sakic?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Completely different players. Benn is a lot closer to Sakic although nowhere near as good.

Seguin's style is more like Kariya.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Sakic was all class and I've a hard time to compare "Captain' Joe" to a guy that got traded for behavioural issues, even when comparing skills. Leadership is a skillset.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Sakic was all class and I've a hard time to compare "Captain' Joe" to a guy that got traded for behavioural issues, even when comparing skills. Leadership is a skillset.

Leadership is not a skill. It's a trait displayed by certain individuals. It's not something you can work on, like skating or shooting. Either you have it or you don't. It's all about your level of maturity.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Seguin doesn't even begin to touch Sakic. Sakic in his prime was the best player in the world at a certain point in time. Seguin in his prime won't ever be the best player in the world, at any point in time. Seguin is not even the best player on his team.

I dont think Seguin will ever be as good as Sakic, but Sakic wasnt the best player in the world until after 30. Seguin has another 8 or so years before we can really say that Seguin didnt touch that level. And Sakic as the best player in the world lasted a pretty short while, he was always one of the best but he never really separated himself like a Crosby did a few years ago.

Leadership is not a skill. It's a trait displayed by certain individuals. It's not something you can work on, like skating or shooting. Either you have it or you don't. It's all about your level of maturity.

Disagree. I dont think I would call it a skill per se but I definitely think its something that can be worked on. You dont only improve leadership with age/maturity. Its something you can see in others and work on to be similar to. Some people just think working on it is more important than others.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I dont think Seguin will ever be as good as Sakic, but Sakic wasnt the best player in the world until after 30. Seguin has another 8 or so years before we can really say that Seguin didnt touch that level. And Sakic as the best player in the world lasted a pretty short while, he was always one of the best but he never really separated himself like a Crosby did a few years ago.

Disagree. I dont think I would call it a skill per se but I definitely think its something that can be worked on. You dont only improve leadership with age/maturity. Its something you can see in others and work on to be similar to. Some people just think working on it is more important than others.

Leadership can be worked on, true. However, that doesn't make you a great leader, it makes you an acceptable one.

A great leader, or captain is one where it comes naturally to them.

Ewan McGregor*

I don't even like the Avs and I still thought this was disrespectful

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Sakic's 2-way game is underrated tbh. The Avs would not have been as good as they were if their top centre was just an offensive player.

evermix*

Crosby is the exact comparable to Sakic and Yzerman who come directly after the likes of Lemieux, Gretzky, and prime Jagr.

Sakic being the best player in the world during a time of prime Jagr, Yzerman, Fedorov, Lindros, Bure, etc. says a lot about how good he really was. Crosby, albeit, he is the best of his generation (along with Ovi), didn't have as much competition as Sakic did. The only other player on Crosby's level for his generation is Ovechkin.

Seguin does have some time go, but he just doesn't have the explosiveness as Sakic had. Sakic was extremely fast skater and shooter, along with the best playmaking skills, and a sound defensive game. Seguin although he's amazing, is notch below Sakic in all categories.

evermix*

Ofcourse not, I dont Think many prospects/Young players can match Sakics numbers due to different era.

Sakic put up elite numbers in all eras, including this one. He put up 100pts just back in '07 at like 38 years of age on a team that didn't have Patrick Roy or Peter Forsberg. In other words, Sakic was able to carry his team in the modern era, as an old man, without much help.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I agree that Seguin is closer to Modano than Sakic in terms of style. It isn't a perfect comparison though, and in some ways he might be closer to Selanne than either with how much he uses that slapshot. From what I've seen of Modano and Seguin, Mo was a better and more natural passer and playmaker. Seguin's game leans toward goal scoring much more than Modano.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Still not perfect, as Modano had a killer slap shot (even though he didn't use it a lot); I haven't seen that from Seguin.

Seguin uses his slapshot more than Modano did. What makes it a slightly flawed comparison is the difference in playmaking abilities. Modano created things much more naturally than Seguin and was IMO a better passer. Seguin is still a very good passer (both pass the puck very hard and accurately) but he is far more reactive than proactive in that regard.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I wouldn't call Seguin a "North-South" kind of player. He is not good enough defensively to warrant such a title.

What does defense have to do with it? A north-south player is generally a player that just gets from point A to point B in a ~straight line. Players like Kreider, Lucic, Perry, you get the idea.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Crosby is the exact comparable to Sakic and Yzerman who come directly after the likes of Lemieux, Gretzky, and prime Jagr.

Sakic being the best player in the world during a time of prime Jagr, Yzerman, Fedorov, Lindros, Bure, etc. says a lot about how good he really was. Crosby, albeit, he is the best of his generation (along with Ovi), didn't have as much competition as Sakic did. The only other player on Crosby's level for his generation is Ovechkin.

Seguin does have some time go, but he just doesn't have the explosiveness as Sakic had. Sakic was extremely fast skater and shooter, along with the best playmaking skills, and a sound defensive game. Seguin although he's amazing, is notch below Sakic in all categories.

I dont disagree with you, Sakics era was tougher for sure. But my point still stands. Sakic was barely the best in the world as the other poster implied and it didnt happen until he was past 30. Even then he was never the clear cut best.

What we'veseen from Seguin so far at his age, there might come a time where he is comparable to a guy like Sakic. Its too early to say he wont for sure. I doubt it, but Sakic didnt peak til his 30s so Seguin deserves time too

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Sakic was nothing special defensively at a young age - he didn't really develop his two-way game until his late 20s (older than Seguin is now).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad