Tyler Seguin=Joe Sakic?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Sorry, when I watch Seguin play, Joe Sakic doesn't come to mind at all. Completely different playing styles.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sakic was a great two-way forward, Seguin on the other hand isn't. I don't see similarities except for the shot.

Sakic didn't start becoming a great two-way forward until he was older than Seguin is now. The same for Yzerman's two-way game.

Anyway, Seguin being more dynamic and goalscoring than cerebral and playmaking supports the comparison to a young Yzerman rather than to a young Sakic.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Seguin reminds me more of Mike Modano to be honest. Don't really see similarities to Sakic.

Sakic was pass-first. If he ever learned to be just a tad more selfish and shoot the puck more, he'd probably have more than two 50-goal seasons. For a guy who had arguably the greatest wrist shot in history, he sure as hell didn't use it enough. Seguin loves to shoot the puck and isn't really a big time playmaker.

pedis

brochefs
Mar 14, 2014
mars
Sakic is my favourite player of all time and i despise seguin so I really hate this comparison

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
Seguin has a great shot. So I can see similarity in that regard. Not much else

[NHL]319355&catid=35[/NHL]

Last edited:

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
There's literally no similarity to their game other than both of them having world class wrist shots...

Seguin plays like Kessel

jappzilla

May 10, 2015
Crosby is the exact comparable to Sakic and Yzerman who come directly after the likes of Lemieux, Gretzky, and prime Jagr.

Sakic being the best player in the world during a time of prime Jagr, Yzerman, Fedorov, Lindros, Bure, etc. says a lot about how good he really was. Crosby, albeit, he is the best of his generation (along with Ovi), didn't have as much competition as Sakic did. The only other player on Crosby's level for his generation is Ovechkin.

Seguin does have some time go, but he just doesn't have the explosiveness as Sakic had. Sakic was extremely fast skater and shooter, along with the best playmaking skills, and a sound defensive game. Seguin although he's amazing, is notch below Sakic in all categories.
Sakic might have been the best player in the world for the first half of 2000-01 before lemiuex came back. At no other point was he the best in the game..

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I am not going to downplay the talent of either player here but I don't really see this as a good comparison.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Sakic didn't start becoming a great two-way forward until he was older than Seguin is now. The same for Yzerman's two-way game.

Anyway, Seguin being more dynamic and goalscoring than cerebral and playmaking supports the comparison to a young Yzerman rather than to a young Sakic.
Agreed, everyone is acting like Yzerman and Sakic came into the league like Toews, Fedorov and Bergeron defensively, both (especially Yzerman) became elite defensively later in there career then where Seguin is now. In the early and mid-90's it was usually Fedorov (maybe the best 2-way player i've seen at his peak) took the tough matchups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad