OT: Tyler Seguin Appreciation Thread

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I feel like they gave up on him too early but I understand it.

I wish him all the best.

Not sure about that Ali, alot of rumblings that he was repeatedly spoken to about getting his house in order when it came to committing to the game.

I get and agree with the fact he`s a young kid with a ton of cash but Seguin himself forced Chia`s hand IMO. If he had of done what was asked/expected, Boston would have been his.

Hope he finds his focus/commitment, we`ll see but it won`t be due to lack of opportunity he`ll get with Dallas. Not sure why I am envisioning him putting points up, but leaving behind the lessons CJ taught him and becoming a strictly one dimensional player

His improvement defensively was encouraging and I was and still am a Seguin supporter, but what`s the message sent to everyone, not just the prospects/younger players if Chia were to continue to permit Segs to do whatever he wanted??

Kaoz*

It'll be fun watching him turn into one of the leagues elite, it would have been far more fun watching it happen in a Bruins jersey.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It'll be fun watching him turn into one of the leagues elite, it would have been far more fun watching it happen in a Bruins jersey.

Not sure it will be fun but...;)

I think he`ll take some time to adjust to a conference that is far more physical, life won`t be as easy for him IMO in that regards

He`ll get loads of ice time, that will have him continue to put the pts up. I have no idea how Dallas even looks as far as being a contender/playoff team??

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Not sure about that Ali, alot of rumblings that he was repeatedly spoken to about getting his house in order when it came to committing to the game.

I get and agree with the fact he`s a young kid with a ton of cash but Seguin himself forced Chia`s hand IMO. If he had of done what was asked/expected, Boston would have been his.

Hope he finds his focus/commitment, we`ll see but it won`t be due to lack of opportunity he`ll get with Dallas. Not sure why I am envisioning him putting points up, but leaving behind the lessons CJ taught him and becoming a strictly one dimensional player

His improvement defensively was encouraging and I was and still am a Seguin supporter, but what`s the message sent to everyone, not just the prospects/younger players if Chia were to continue to permit Segs to do whatever he wanted??

Yes, he had off ice issues but I just feel like they should have given him the opportunity to prove himself after calling him out. Why call him out in the first place if you knew you were going to trade him less than a week later?

Like I said elsewhere, I understand why they did it and I love what we got back but I just think they gave up on him a little too soon.

To be clear, I don't like his behavior off ice. I've heard stories myself and I hope he straightens up.

Kaoz*

Don't be 21 and a highly skilled forward draft pick in Boston unless you're Sid Crosby. Expectations will be too high, you'll expected to be a mature, team leader, who carries this team offensively through the regular season and playoffs.

Too bad Chicago didn't sport this same attitude with Patty Kane, Boston would have likely had their second cup in 5 years instead of it being the other way around.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
Typical Boston media/fanbase garbage.

Guy is gone suddenly all these stories throwing Tyler under the bus come out of the woodwork... same thing happened with Kessel. As soon as PK was out of town, things just blew up and everyone was throwing enough dirt on him to fill the grand canyon.

Same here.

Segsy is dealt, suddenly he is this horrible professional who comes unprepared to games and is banned at night from bars for being too much of a partyier.

Typical mud slinging after we deal someone, straight shameful **** if you ask me.

If you need to piss on someone's grave to feel better, that's your call... I loved the kid and happy with what we got back... but still, would have prefered to keep TS here even for 1 more year and see what would have happened.

Kaoz*

Guy is gone suddenly all these stories throwing Tyler under the bus come out of the woodwork... same thing happened with Kessel. As soon as PK was out of town, things just blew up and everyone was throwing enough dirt on him to fill the grand canyon.

Same here.

Segsy is dealt, suddenly he is this horrible professional who comes unprepared to games and is banned at night from bars for being too much of a partyier.

Typical mud slinging after we deal someone, straight shameful **** if you ask me.

If you need to piss on someone's grave to feel better, that's your call... I loved the kid and happy with what we got back... but still, would have prefered to keep TS here even for 1 more year and see what would have happened.

So... so well said.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yes, he had off ice issues but I just feel like they should have given him the opportunity to prove himself after calling him out. Why call him out in the first place if you knew you were going to trade him less than a week later?

Like I said elsewhere, I understand why they did it and I love what we got back but I just think they gave up on him a little too soon.

To be clear, I don't like his behavior off ice. I've heard stories myself and I hope he straightens up.

Not sure of all the answers to the questions you pose but again, we only know "some" of the incidents that occurred internally and it would only be speculation that there was/had been more than just a misunderstood alarm clock and a few nights out.

Everyone understands that with youth/money and fame, comes a times to party, he chose to do so in the midst of a playoff series....not the wisest of decisions and I wouldn`t be one bit surprised if right then and there he sealed his fate within the organization, bottom line is that Chia/Cam and CJ didn`t just this season set the bar of expectations of the players on and off the ice, this culture was well in place the first time Segs pulled a Spoked B jersey over his head

I still like the kid alot, provided this fan with a ton of entertaining on ice thrills

thiscalltoarms

Jun 26, 2013
Boston- Seattle- NJ
Don't be 21 and a highly skilled forward draft pick in Boston unless you're Sid Crosby. Expectations will be too high, you'll expected to be a mature, team leader, who carries this team offensively through the regular season and playoffs.

Too bad Chicago didn't sport this same attitude with Patty Kane, Boston would have likely had their second cup in 5 years instead of it being the other way around.

This.

I think Chia can win another cup jeither this season or next because of this deal, but I also think that his deal will close the window faster than it had to. 2-3 good years, then we start rebuilding.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
He'll be missed.

He needed a wake up and unfortunately trading him was the only way for him to get on track again.

Kid will be fine in Dallas....they got a great player.

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
I wish him well, hope he keeps improving defensively. He is going to be an elite scorer in this league very soon.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Don`t see it that way

“I don’t want to really play that up too much,” Chiarelli said. “He’s a 21-year-old that played as an 18-year-old, and I think he was just a 21-year-old kid. He was maturing and growing up, and he liked to have fun like the rest of them. I don’t really think it was such a big deal. But when I said earlier about focus, just about little things, about preparing to play — it was nothing about extracurricular activities.
“No player is perfect, either as a player or an individual. All his stuff mushrooms into a proliferation of items on social media and I get overwhelmed by the number of stuff that comes out. Maybe some of it is true, but I know not all of it is true. . . . Tyler is a 21-year-old, he is a good kid, he’s got a good heart and he is going to continue to grow up.”
- See more at: http://bostonherald.com/sports/brui.../b_s_trade_problem_child#sthash.aJX5ZVuA.dpuf

While I think Chia wasn`t doing summersaults over Segs being out when it would have served him well staying in for a night, hardly the only issue.

Bruins Stooge

Spread Out
Aug 12, 2008
Hartford County CT
As a poster said, this trade makes my head hurt. I like it in the fact Bruins got Eriksson, if him and Bergeron are on the ice at the same time the other team can forget about scoring, and he's got some fantastic offensive skills. That said Seguin has a very high ceiling that he very well should reach. The point of Boston gave up on him too early is decent point to be made, as it happened with Jumbo and Kessell (both for different reasons). And also as far as the cap goes, Chia did this to himself somewhat with Peverley and Kelly's albatross contracts.

I do still like this trade, but it's tough to grasp and fully understand in a way. I love what Eriksson brings to the table now and the dimensions he'll bring that Seguin couldn't, but boy do I worry Seguin is really going to prove Chiarelli wrong, and it could be sooner then later.

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
As a poster said, this trade makes my head hurt. I like it in the fact Bruins got Eriksson, if him and Bergeron are on the ice at the same time the other team can forget about scoring, and he's got some fantastic offensive skills. That said Seguin has a very high ceiling that he very well should reach. The point of Boston gave up on him too early is decent point to be made, as it happened with Jumbo and Kessell (both for different reasons). And also as far as the cap goes, Chia did this to himself somewhat with Peverley and Kelly's albatross contracts.

I do still like this trade, but it's tough to grasp and fully understand in a way. I love what Eriksson brings to the table now and the dimensions he'll bring that Seguin could, but boy do I worry Seguin is really going to prove Chiarelli wrong, and it could be sooner then later.

Segs "should" reach that ceiling, I`m thinking based on Chia`s words, the Bruins and the powers that be have some questions about whether or not he`s willing to put everything into squeezing every ounce of potential out of himself

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I do still like this trade, but it's tough to grasp and fully understand in a way. I love what Eriksson brings to the table now and the dimensions he'll bring that Seguin could, but boy do I worry Seguin is really going to prove Chiarelli wrong, and it could be sooner then later.

He`ll get his pts, anyone here see the Stars being anywhere near a Cup contender anytime soon??? I think this is the "can we win with kind of player" scenario, much like we heard with Thornton

Bruins Stooge

Spread Out
Aug 12, 2008
Hartford County CT
Segs "should" reach that ceiling, I`m thinking based on Chia`s words, the Bruins and the powers that be have some questions about whether or not he`s willing to put everything into squeezing every ounce of potential out of himself

Right, it all comes down to can Seguin put his big boy mature pants on, put in the effort, and have the professionalism he needs to become the top tier player he has the potential to be. I would have loved to have seen that happen in Boston (but again I do like this trade)

He`ll get his pts, anyone here see the Stars being anywhere near a Cup contender anytime soon??? I think this is the "can we win with kind of player" scenario, much like we heard with Thornton

If the Stars goalie can stay healthy and they sign who they need to, they may end up being a 7 or 8 playoff team, but no I don't think anyone sees the stars there anytime soon.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Right, it all comes down to can Seguin put his big boy mature pants on, put in the effort, and have the professionalism he needs to become the top tier player he has the potential to be. I would have loved to have seen that happen in Boston (but again I do like this trade)

If the Stars goalie can stay healthy and they sign who they need to, they may end up being a 7 or 8 playoff team, but no I don't think anyone sees the stars there anytime soon.

And let`s face it, there`s more than a few teams out there who could care less about how he`ll conduct himself off the ice if he puts pts up on the ice. I`m glad this team and the attitude and culture they have worked hard to recapture aren`t willing to allow players, older or younger, dance to their own tune

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Seguin bordered on being an albatross in a playoff run that went all the way to the Finals.

The kid brought nothing night after night after night.

For more than a month, Toronto series started May 1 and the Finals on June 12, where he finally decided to play, or stop partying or whatever it was (don't give a **** anymore), he was completely disengaged. While his teammates ground themselves into a nub, leaving it all on the ice in an attempt to bring the Cup home.

Unless we heard he was playing with a broken back I was more than ready to see his ass shipped out.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I can hear the chants already
Thank you kessel
Thank you seguin

No hate on segs but he didnt fit here. Thats the bottom line. We needed taylor hall and instead hoped seguin was going to be as good, and it was too much of a dream. Now we get a player that fits the bruins philosophy better plus can really score the puck.

Turk 16

May 3, 2011
South Shore, MA
Stephen Harris article in Herald this a.m. P's me off. If you're gonna make allegations like that, name your sources.

I really hope it's not coming from the front office. If so, it reeks of CYA (if/when the deal turns very unpopular with fans), and runs counter to the "keep these things in-house" mantra.

That said, I don't necessarily doubt it's true. Lord, I can only imagine my own behavior at 21 with a multimillion $ bankroll.

Shocked at the deal when I heard it yesterday, hated it really, but couldn't judge objectively because I knew next to nothing about Erikkson and the prospects. Liked that we are getting out of Pevs' contract, though. Gotta say, the more I learn about Erikkson, the more I like.

But I will miss Tyler's hands and explosive skating. You don't see this skillset everyday. I hope he finds a way to put it all together (except when playing Boston). I sure won't be booing him when he returns.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Same here.

Great Post:handclap:

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
Seguin bordered on being an albatross in a playoff run that went all the way to the Finals.

The kid brought nothing night after night after night.

He was fourth in shots in the playoffs despite limited ice time; they just didn't go in (1.4% for god's sake) . He also had more hits than Bergeron, Horton and Marchand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad