Oct 15, 2011
Myers 5.5 cap hit 3 salary expires summer 2019
Mason 4.1 cap hit 4.1 salary expires summer 2019

Cap hit total 9.6
Salary total 7.1

Package only any interest?

Edit:

We would be interested in:

- 2018 picks especially 1st or high 2nd since we don't pick until 62 ;)
- D-man prospects

Also don't be afraid to ask for other Jets assets to be included such as Nic Petan or Marko Dano. We have an excess of young forwards.

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I could see Buffalo having interest if the price is right

Assuming this is a cap dump proposal and the return is minimal.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Probably doesn't add value to Myers by tacking on Mason. If anything, it lowers it.

That's entirely the point. Frees up cap space. Jets are going to end this season 400k under the cap and have a lot of signings this summer and next.

They're going from an internal cap team to a salary cap team. Myers contract isn't as valuable to us as it once was. but maybe it is to someone else?

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
That's entirely the point. Frees up cap space. Jets are going to end this season 400k under the cap and have a lot of signings this summer and next.

They're going from an internal cap team to a salary cap team. Myers contract isn't as valuable to us as it once was. but maybe it is to someone else?

Toby gone - 5.8 million

Myers traded - 5.5 million one year, we would get a ok return for him.

Mason traded (yes we would add an incentive) - 4.1 million one year

What's the concern? We just cleared 15+ million....

I doubt any single team would take both Myers (who holds value) and Mason (who holds zero to slight negative value).

Reactions: Brock Radunske

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Trouba and Morrissey - our top pair d - get contracts. Hellebuyck gets a contract. Then a bunch of guys having good years get contracts.

Then the following summer Laine and Wheeler get contracts. Avoidance of a bonus overage next season is important.

Also if we move salary that opens up other moves.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Myers 5.5 cap hit 3 salary expires summer 2019
Mason 4.1 cap hit 4.1 salary expires summer 2019

Cap hit total 9.6
Salary total 7.1

Package only any interest?

IMO its a mess to try to package them together, and does more to reduce the overall return then trading them separately might get.

Eliminates so many potential trade partners that might be interested in one piece or the other.

Reactions: Hunter368

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Trouba and Morrissey - our top pair d - get contracts. Hellebuyck gets a contract. Then a bunch of guys having good years get contracts.

Then the following summer Laine and Wheeler get contracts. Avoidance of a bonus overage next season is important.

Also if we move salary that opens up other moves.

I understand that, plus Matthias is gone....so that’s about 17.5 million gone this summer all very easily without a big impact to our lineup. Myers would be the biggest lost of the group and he’s been playing 3rd pairing and PP. Now I agree the following year after next will get complicated......but next year is not a concern tbh.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
To Vancouver for a package. Nilsson would probably have to go the other way.

The Canucks have a glut of assets - what are Winnipeg's needs?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
As odd as it sounds, Philly might be a fit. We could absorb Mason. He had some semblance of success here as well.

We'd have to send back either Elliott or Neuvirth though (both expire next year,i believe, at about 2.25-3 a piece), so shouldnt be a concern), but the added natural RHD wouldnt hurt. Any idea what Myers would be looking for next Contract?

Reactions: Arwin

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Oilers are interested in Myers but not Mason.

But I suppose the Jets don't really have any needs, and that moving out Mason is a bigger priority than adding anyone really. So.. I suppose that means the OP has a good trade idea.

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
Myers would be a great fit in Vancouver. Mason doesn't make sense with Marky, Demko & possibly Nillsson returning next season.

This playoffs will be a good indicator of what the Jets plans are in the offseason be it Champs or Early Exit.

From Vancity:
Gudbransson, Granlund, Sutter, Eriksson are undoubtedly on the table, others like Hutton, Baertschi, Edler may cost more than the jets would like to pay but can still be had. Not sure what the future holds for Tanev yet so assume he's not easily available.

Benning is "trying" to bring in skill and speed to the Canucks. I would expect he looks at Petan, as goes his trend of trading for young players with potential, struggling to make their clubs in the NHL.

If Vancouver misses out on J.Carlson this offseason I'd like to see Myers in a deal headed to Vancouver I don't have any logical deals in mind a this time, but with some discussion im sure there is one that makes sense for both parties. Thats what these boards are for...right?

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
As an Oilers fan I would be interested in a deal like this, if the jets could retain salary on Mason. And either Lucic (please) or Sekera would need to be included id imagine.

What are the jets needs?

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Jets have a glut of young wingers....no need there.

Maybe a young top 9 centre could be useful.

Top 4 D prospects, either side are a need.

No need for goalies or goalie prospects.

Matthias & Toby are expiring contracts, that's 8 million cap there.

Myers holds value as a top 4 RHD with only one year term, he's easy to trade and frees up another 5.5 million cap.

Mason holds one year term at 4.1 million, he holds zero to slightly negative value.....wouldn't be hard to dump him by adding a pick or even better a C/D prospect with him to a rebuilding club.

Point is the Jets have lots of ways at creating cap room easily this summer, if Myers is traded it won't likely be with Mason IMO which would hurt Myers value. If Myers is traded it will be alone and he will return a top 4 RHD value considering he has one year term.

Plus if Mason or Myers are traded we cannot take cap back.....that's the whole point of trading them in the first place creating cap to sign our young stars.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
As an Oilers fan I would be interested in a deal like this, if the jets could retain salary on Mason. And either Lucic (please) or Sekera would need to be included id imagine.

What are the jets needs?

No thx to either guy....the whole idea is shedding cap......not retaining or taking cap back. No need for that

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
No thx to either guy....the whole idea is shedding cap......not retaining or taking cap back. No need for that
I totally get that. I was thinking with Sek you guys still save like 4mil next year, and its more my bias, but I think that Sekera rebounds next year after full offseason to recover. I think he may have been a bit rushed back from injury this year, and it might have caused a bit of a tailspin for him. But last year he was one of, if not our best dman.

But ya, after I posted that I had some second thoughts about it working for you guys.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Actually, why not have Mason on the Oilers? We want someone to challenge Talbot. It's expensive, but if the cap works then I'm fine with it. Maybe the Jets could take Montoya then? His salary is low and can be buried in the AHL, and is also just one year. Maybe we could trade him off elsewhere though if that's a problem.

As for the player we'd trade to get Myers, we have a young RHD named Benning you might be interested in. Maybe Bear, but imo he is a bit too valuable. We have some other strong D prospects like Jones or Paigin. I don't think we have a prospect that is exactly perfect if you want defense prospects.

Someone said top 9 center, so maybe you'd like Ryan Strome? He started rough here, but slowly has established himself as a very good third line center/right wing

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I feel so bad for Mason. There’s a real good goalie there but he needs a bit of handling. He’s the type who’d succeed in a low pressure market.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I could see some interest from Toronto if they lose out on Carlson this summer and they can get an extension done. Hainsey fills in on the second pairing and Ozhiganov likely plays out bottom pairing if all the reports are correct with him coming over. Liljegren plays another season with the Marlies.

Mason would likely be shipped to the Marlies and traded at the TDL for a bag of pucks.

What kind of ask?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad