Confirmed with Link: TYLER MOTTE TO NYR

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
They won the Cup, so, yes it was a good trade. Evaluating Savard by points (and, for him, that was actually pretty good) is like evaluating Kravtsov as a tough guy. We'll never know if they hoist that thing without him.

If the Tarasenko trade results in 6G 3A in the playoffs and a NYR Cup was it a bad trade? No.
If Tarasenko ends up on the fourth line I will call it a bad trade whether the Rangers win the Cup or not. Savard was their 6th defensemen and only played 14 min a night.

That trade was not a good trade for Tampa.

Drafting a player in the late 20s of the first round guarantees less than the 30 games + playoffs of Tarasenko and Mikkola will. The flaw in you logic is overstating the worth of a non lottery first rounder.

I'm operating on the Rangers recent history and they are doing a bang up job in the late first. Chytil, Miller, Nils, Othmann, Schneider. I want more of those guys. Not 20 games of Andrew Copp and no championship.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
It's just painful to look back at the pile of assets the NYR have burned over the years in the name of 20 game additions that could have instead gone into pieces that actually help the roster over the short + medium term.

Giving up 1sts for players like Hagel or Chychrun makes so much more sense to me than what the NYR have historically done. Counting on being able to perfectly time things and identify that "this is the year" is IMO a really inefficient way to approach team building because of the amount of luck required to actually win it all in any given year. Then layer on that this year seems especially strenuous in that regard given the competition.

The Rangers are trying to thread a needle and get lucky, instead of just stop trying to guess when they can time a peak and actually just trying to build a Boston or Tampa themselves.

I keep hearing that becoming a good team like Tampa is impossible. No, what is impossible is this trying to win by squeezing in between two elite teams' windows.

Not saying I want Kane but if you wait for other teams to show you when the "perfect" time to go all-in is, it will never come.

You go all in by building a team in the offseason that doesn't need to go all-in at the trade deadline.

Reactions: Longterm

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
If Tarasenko ends up on the fourth line I will call it a bad trade whether the Rangers win the Cup or not. Savard was their 6th defensemen and only played 14 min a night.

That trade was not a good trade for Tampa.

I'm operating on the Rangers recent history and they are doing a bang up job in the late first. Chytil, Miller, Nils, Othmann, Schneider. I want more of those guys. Not 20 games of Andrew Copp and no championship.

Well you'll get your wish when they are picking there in a few months lol. You want multiple Cups, you want multiple firsts every year, you can't really have it both ways. The Rangers compromised for you and gave you a chance to get one of each this year, so why complain about it?

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Well you'll get your wish when they are picking there in a few months lol. You want multiple Cups, you want multiple firsts every year, you can't really have it both ways. The Rangers compromised for you and gave you a chance to get one of each this year, so why complain about it?
Multiple firsts will help yield multiple Cups more than trading for expensive rentals will.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I'd argue it's never worth it to go all in so to speak.

There's really never a player available that's worthy of completely mortgaging your future..

The eastern conference is way too strong this year to trade two first rounders.

We have a good shot. There's no move to make that guarantees we're the best team

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
All I know is that the pimp move here is trading Krat and Jones for Sturm at 50%

Goodrow Sturm Motte or Motte Goodrow Vesey if we go Pan/Mika/Sturm

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
People always say that other teams don't matter. They do matter.. that matter just as much as we do and we have to factor in how good the rest of the conference is

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I'd argue it's never worth it to go all in so to speak.

There's really never a player available that's worthy of completely mortgaging your future..

The eastern conference is way too strong this year to trade two first rounders.

We have a good shot. There's no move to make that guarantees we're the best team

Too strong to trade even one.

It's too much of a crapshoot. Adding Tarasenko probably doesn't improve your team enough to get past a team like Tampa if you weren't already good enough to get by them.

Having a cheap pipeline of young talent is vital in today's NHL.

Fortify your team with Vatranos and Mottes. Don't try to reform your top 6 with 8 weeks left in the season, that's just a fools errand as history proves.

Reactions: Off Sides

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

That trade was not a good trade for Tampa

Sorry, but I call bullshit on that. No way to know if him not being there is the difference or not. Were we better at 6D maybe we beat Tampa last year. No way to know. If a trade gets you a cup you do it every time.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Multiple firsts will help yield multiple Cups more than trading for expensive rentals will.

Multiple Cups lol. Most of the teams in the league their fans haven’t been alive long enough to see one. And guys like you worrying. About 29th overall picks because you want MULTIPLE cups. So naive. When u have a chance and we absolutely have a chance this year. A real chance. You take it. You don’t say well I want multiple cups so let me draft the next nils lundkvist and hope for the best

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
Multiple Cups lol. Most of the teams in the league their fans haven’t been alive long enough to see one. And guys like you worrying. About 29th overall picks because you want MULTIPLE cups. So naive. When u have a chance and we absolutely have a chance this year. A real chance. You take it. You don’t say well I want multiple cups so let me draft the next nils lundkvist and hope for the best
I’m sorry, who is this In response to?

• Haha
Reactions: Boris Zubov

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I don't think these deadline additions improve the team's chances of winning the Cup as much as is being theorized.

How bad were the the Rangers last year prior to making deals if after all they did it took Pitt and Canes to 7 game series? Did those teams add a lot at the deadline? What did Tampa add that allowed them to beat the Rangers?

Other teams make moves which makes this just keeping up with the Jones so to speak.

My take, the best players on a team, playing better than the other teams best players is the key, and if one team just plain has better players who play well, they will likely win that series, sans injury.

From that point, if they are more or less equal, sure some depth moves make somewhat of a difference if injuries take place, yet I don't think the odds of the Rangers winning the Cup this year because they added at the deadline changed all that much.

It will still come down to how Panarin, Zbad, Fox, Shesty, play. If they all play well, then only does any positive or negative play from the secondary/tertiary guys matter.

Reactions: mas0764

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut

We made a move. Who else is out there to trade a #1 for?

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Too strong to trade even one.

It's too much of a crapshoot. Adding Tarasenko probably doesn't improve your team enough to get past a team like Tampa if you weren't already good enough to get by them.

Having a cheap pipeline of young talent is vital in today's NHL.

Fortify your team with Vatranos and Mottes. Don't try to reform your top 6 with 8 weeks left in the season, that's just a fools errand as history proves.
you're way off here. Rangers ran out of gas last year vs Tampa... period. They were very young (still are) and gained alot of experience. This team is that much more galvanized than last year because of the experience.

Tarasenko is EXACTLY the type of signing that can help you get past a TAmpa, or even a PITT/CAR team a few games sooner!

I can't find fault in anything the Rangers/DRury have done so far. Doesn't mean we're beating Boston...
but i like our chances.

Reactions: egelband

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019

To be fair, it could be the next K'Andre Miller, Filip Chytil, Chris Kreider, etc. With that said, it takes years from draft day and the Rangers are already stacked with young players we hope are here for the next decade. They can afford to skip an entire draft or two in pursuit of a Cup. You need one before you can win multiple...

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
The Rangers are trying to thread a needle and get lucky, instead of just stop trying to guess when they can time a peak and actually just trying to build a Boston or Tampa themselves.

Seven. Let me emphasize, SEVEN, 1st round draft picks from 2018-21 isn't trying to do exactly that? The Rangers window is now and for the next three seasons. You can believe whatever you want about this core but the Rangers, with the addition of Tarasenko, Mikkola, Motte, + ? = parity with Boston and Tampa.

Seven firsts in 4 years. WE NEED MOAR FIRST ROUND PICKS.

• Haha
Reactions: egelband

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I was responding to someone who said I’m chasing multiple Cups. I stand by all the other arguments as to why expensive renting doesn’t help you even win one.

Seven. Let me emphasize, SEVEN, 1st round draft picks from 2018-21 isn't trying to do exactly that? The Rangers window is now and for the next three seasons. You can believe whatever you want about this core but the Rangers, with the addition of Tarasenko, Mikkola, Motte, + ? = parity with Boston and Tampa.

Seven firsts in 4 years. WE NEED MOAR FIRST ROUND PICKS.
We obviously aren’t complete despite those SEVEN first round picks. Hence this need to rent to begin with.

Yes, we need more long term top 6 forward talent. Been saying that for quite some time now.

The Rangers could win the Cup and I hope they do, but they will be bucking historical precedent because flawed teams who have to pay big to add usually don’t win. I hope they are the outlier. But the better chance is to keep their picks and have patience and keep building.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad