Confirmed with Link: TYLER MOTTE TO NYR

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Coincidentally, Rydahl just scored a goal for Hartford.
I have no idea why they won’t give this guy a look, I’d be shocked if he’s not better than Leschyshin.

Tarasenko is getting seriously underrated on here.

He shot well below career-average for the Blues this year. When he's converting a normal rate, he's 75 points out of the box.

Copp's career high is 53 and he was headed for much lower until he came here and shot TWENTY FIVE ass percent for the Rangers. He's a 40-point player.

But is Tarasenko washed? Everyone reaches the end of the line eventually.

Reactions: RagFinMet

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
You know. Happy to have Motte back. But I thought Gauthier was actually developing decently into a good bottom six option. Not sure how I feel about this on the whole. Seems like a neutral move to me.
I was never a huge Motte guy and I did like the Goat. I'm not thrilled by this move but I 100% understand it. I like that we are a team that has tried to improve for the playoffs but in a logical manner. Maybe we will grab Goat again next season.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Gauthier is better than Motte and we gave up a first for a rental, hard to call that very good. I understand the moves but very good isn’t the right phrase.

At what exactly? Doesn’t score doesn’t pk doesn’t forecheck doesn’t defend. So what’s he better at exactly? Driving the net and losing the puck?

You guys hear me say this all the time but unless you are a Reaves and those guys are basically extinct your 4th liners in a cap league need to be cheap, can’t get scored on, and most importantly have to kill penalties and be versatile. Ability to play center etc

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Motte proved last year in the playoffs that his style of play, when the games tighten up, provided value. His stick placement, defensive acumen, speed and physical play, along with superb PKing are tools for the team to utilize.

He really shouldn’t have been allowed to leave in the offseason but hopefully Drury and Motte have learned their lesson. Just make it work.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Yes that’s why the first post I made which you responded to said, quote, “I think last year’s deadline was better.”
"Yes, I know lots of GMs do it, but they are wrong. They act on desperation not on what is sound and healthy for their franchises".

This arrogant statement is what I was referring to. The above sounds like it's based in fact and not just an opinion from an armchair GM. Not every deadline deal that deals picks for rentals means the GM is desperate. A GM's job is to win and it's perfectly acceptable to try to make the team better if there is a reasonable prospect of winning a cup. They owe it to the fans, the players, and the people that pay them. Obviously only 1 team wins the cup but that doesn't make every other GM wrong for trying to get better. Some do it better than others and yes GM's that have given up 1st round pick for players have actually benefitted from it. The Rangers played 20 playoff games and went to the ECF. They didn't win the cup but the experience could be important for the development of the young guys that could help them this year and beyond. The Rangers haven't mortgaged the future at all. They got better with additions of Tarasenko, Mikkola, and Motte and still retained all of their prospects and all important players on the roster, and have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounders this draft. I would rather the GM take a shot at getting better within reason than possibly missing an opportunity by doing nothing. You never know what happens from year to year with injuries and other circumstances.

Last edited:

Priorae

Apr 21, 2017
New Jersey
Tarasenko is getting seriously underrated on here.

He shot well below career-average for the Blues this year. When he's converting a normal rate, he's 75 points out of the box.

Copp's career high is 53 and he was headed for much lower until he came here and shot TWENTY FIVE ass percent for the Rangers. He's a 40-point player.
Don’t disagree. But in 46 total games as a rental Copp dropped 32 points. That’s a good result

Reactions: NikC

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Don’t disagree. But in 46 total games as a rental Copp dropped 32 points. That’s a good result

Copp was flat out amazing last year. One of the best rentals I have seen with the NYR. I get the shooting % argument but he and Panarin meshed so well. Shame it didn't work out.

Tarasenko has done a lot of really good things out there so I'm hopeful he will make some big plays when it counts. But Copp set a high bar last year, there's no doubt.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’m ready to jump on the Kane train. This is 94. Go all in. What’s it going to cost us? Nothing. Is his hip bad? Yes. No doubt. But with a bad hip he’s better than most. I think in NYC going for a Cup on a good team. He’d step up.

Get Kane and it fixes the 4th line at the same time.

I actually think Kane helps the top line more than he helps Panarin. Mika and CK prob could use a pure playmaker.

Kravtsov Jones and a 2nd that becomes a first if we win a Cup. That’s my offer and I wouldn’t lose an ounce of sleep over any of it.

Drury can find a middle team.

Kreider Mika Kane
Panarin Trocheck Tarasenko
Lafreniere Chytil Kakko
Motte Goodrow Vesy

Jesus

And I’ll mention right now we are 4th in the entire nhl. Well most likely have to directly go thru the 3 teams above us to win. And we can absolutely do it. But it’s an arms race right now. Meier will absolutely end up a cane or devil.

Last edited:

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Motte proved last year in the playoffs that his style of play, when the games tighten up, provided value. His stick placement, defensive acumen, speed and physical play, along with superb PKing are tools for the team to utilize.

He really shouldn’t have been allowed to leave in the offseason but hopefully Drury and Motte have learned their lesson. Just make it work.
if jackass hack brooks actually watched games and knew what he was looking for... he'd realize this, and not mock ranger fans for wanting him for the POs

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
I’m ready to jump on the Kane train. This is 94. Go all in. What’s it going to cost us? Nothing. Is his hip bad? Yes. No doubt. But with a bad hip he’s better than most. I think in NYC going for a Cup on a good team. He’d step up.

Get Kane and it fixes the 4th line at the same time.

I actually think Kane helps the top line more than he helps Panarin. Mika and CK prob could use a pure playmaker.

Kravtsov Jones and a 2nd that becomes a first if we win a Cup. That’s my offer and I wouldn’t lose an ounce of sleep over any of it.

Drury can find a middle team.

Kreider Mika Kane
Panarin Trocheck Tarasenko
Lafreniere Chytil Kakko
Motte Goodrow Vesy

Jesus

And I’ll mention right now we are 4th in the entire nhl. Well most likely have to directly go thru the 3 teams above us to win. And we can absolutely do it. But it’s an arms race right now. Meier will absolutely end up a cane or devil.

I think I'm at this point too, just as a pure hockey fan. Hopefully Kane tells Chicago it's the Rangers or nobody and they basically have to accept what we offer (Kravtsov +)

It cost Toronto a 4th rounder to get a third team to retain $1.875M so it'll probably cost us a 3rd to get a team (Anaheim? Arizona?) to retain $2.625M.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
i dont love this in that we still have a leshyszyn sized hole on our fourth line.

Gauthier was having himself a pretty good season and seemed to be figuring out how he can use his skillset to be a productive contributor at the nhl level.

Jimmy Vesey is a good example of a guy being able to adapt his playstyle to fill a necessary role. When he first came into the league he was much more skill focused trying to dangle through 4 people and eventually losing the puck. He would occasionaly hit on one of those moves and the 463279 others that didnt work were immediately forgotten. Hes now a defensively responsible grinder with a better shot and vision than most players in that role. Thats a good player to have, and especially at the price we got him.

Gauthier seems to be on a similar trajectory. His speed is all world but he has no scoring touch to speak of. He was finally learning to be more of a grinder and started to make some noticeable impacts this season. If he could add some more physicality to his game, he would be the perfect depth guy.

I wouldve been over the moon if we still had both but alas.

That being said, I do like that we brought motte back.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad