Confirmed with Link: Tyler Kennedy calls it a career

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
He could probably quite easily bounce around from team to team as a 12th/13th organizational depth forward for a few more years, but it seems like his wife has sacrificed a chunk of her career for the sake of his. He's probably retiring early to return the favour.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
Pretty cool he still lives in Pittsburgh and is involved locally. Weird to be 30 and playing in an outdoor alumni game though. I wonder if we'll see Talbot (and maybe Colby) play in that game as well. I'd really like to see Kunitz play in it also.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
duh, I forgot. How about TK's poor daughter looks like she has her fathers nose. :(

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
He could probably quite easily bounce around from team to team as a 12th/13th organizational depth forward for a few more years, but it seems like his wife has sacrificed a chunk of her career for the sake of his. He's probably retiring early to return the favour.

This. He probably could have gone to Europe as well and made good money but it's not really about yourself only when you have a wife with a promising career and young child.

Anyway I'm sure he'll be fine. Thanks for the memories TK.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Good luck to him. Sounds like his wife wanted to be in Pittsburgh to pursue her career. Nothing wrong with that but I'm sure it's tough to be 30 and done with your life's work (at least in terms of your dreams).

And yeah, it sounds like he did name his daughter after Matt Cooke. That's kinda weird.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Frustrating at times but overall I didn't mind him here. He sure seemed to fall off the face of the Earth after leaving, though. I'd often wonder what he was up to but just assumed he was out on the West Coast on a team I never seem to catch on TV.

Mattpilf

Jun 28, 2016
For some reason, I thought he retired last year.

Probably because he was a late signing. Took like a month before he signed to.... New Jersey!

Oh well. Hard worker, nice guy, little bit bad hands, but he'd do what you'd ask him to do and give it everything he had. Had a pretty decent NHL career and a cup. A lot to be proud on and pass on to his family.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
He sure seemed to fall off the face of the Earth after leaving, though. I'd often wonder what he was up to but just assumed he was out on the West Coast on a team I never seem to catch on TV.

He just wasn't producing. Actually, he wasn't producing for his last year in Pittsburgh, and the trend simply continued in three other cities. He was a positive relative Corsi player for his entire career besides his first year with the Sharks, though. I'm surprised some stat-driven team didn't want him for depth based on that.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Tireless worker, brought tons of heart and grit to the line up, and could provide a decent amount of secondary scoring. Decent hockey player.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Wonder what the heck he's gonna do? He made some decent coin but probably not enough to live on for 30-40 more years.

I figure at only 30 he could've gone over to Europe and make some money over there for a while.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Wonder what the heck he's gonna do? He made some decent coin but probably not enough to live on for 30-40 more years.

I figure at only 30 he could've gone over to Europe and make some money over there for a while.

Sounds like his wife didn't want to live that nomadic life of a hockey player's wife if he was outside the NHL (just reading between the lines).

I think he's also wondering what the heck he's going to do also :laugh:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
When did he last play, anyway? Season before last?

This past April.
He went to Devil's camp last season on a PTO and got released initially but then they signed him in Nov. Played the rest of the season with them.

He worked out in PIT in the summer last year and was hoping for another PTO from an NHL team but never got one.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
TK was a good player for the Penguins for a good while. Stanley Cup champion, scored the GWG in game 6 that year to force a game 7... Good memories.

Enjoy your retirement, TK.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Seems a bit premature for retirement unless there is something holding him back, physically. But obviously not everyone has to keep riding buses and signing contracts overseas until they are 40 once their NHL days are in the rearview.

Kennedy had a nice handful of seasons here and his contributions were and are appreciated. But I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I didn't find him to be an infuriating player ~75% of the time.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I always liked TK and thought he received a raw deal here on these boards. It's not his fault that Goalies became huge along with their equipment. If he had played in different era, TK would have been a sniper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad