Value of: Tyler Johnson to the Calgary Flames

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
1) Who gives a **** about advanced stats. They are no more than 1 piece of information, like any other stat.

and more importantly....

2) What does this have to do with anything that I said? I was talking about the Flames having assets despite not having picks.

You brought up we struggled to score goals.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Who needs TJ when you can have Derek Ryan? Seriously Flames fans, get ready to see a LOT of Derek Ryan.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Are you actually kidding me? A small LHS forward that doesn't do anything without Crosby.

According to HF, everyone on the Pens sucks without Crosby.

I'm not necessarily advocating for a trade here, but he's good for 15-20 without Crosby. He was one of out better ES producers last season. He had 53 in 61 games.

Anyways.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
So with Peters as Calgary's new head coach, I'm wondering what it'll cost to get Johnson on the Flames. He's a RHS, super skilled forward that the Flames could use. He's not outright expendable but he's not a need for the Lightning with Point's emergence. Johnson is also from Spokane which is very similar to Calgary as a city so he should fit right in along with having a coach he's familiar with (Coached Spokane to a memorial cup victory and Johnson was 2008 WHL MVP).
I'm failing to make a correlation between Peters as HC and Tyler Johnson. Besides the fact that Johnson played for Peters in his rookie season in the WHL ...

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I don't think Johnson is moving. He's shown again that he just steps up in the Playoffs.

If anything, I would expect us to take a negative value trade for Callahan now that his NMC turns into a modified NTC. Even then - rumors of our cap crunch are (as always) exaggerated.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Hamilton straight up? Bennett + Fox + 2019 1st for Johnson + 2018 2nd?
Hamilton? That's atrocious. Johnson is not worth that many picks/prospects either. He'd be the 2019 first plus an add.

I honestly don't like Johnson for the Flames. He's not consistent enough offensively. He's too small for a team built around Gaudreau.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Hamilton? That's atrocious. Johnson is not worth that many picks/prospects either. He'd be the 2019 first plus an add.

I honestly don't like Johnson for the Flames. He's not consistent enough offensively. He's too small for a team built around Gaudreau.

We have no need to trade Johnson so you have to make it worth our while. If we are trading him we are either looking for a youngish RD, like Hamilton, or decent futures. Bennett is a huge risk he'll become anything special, Fox might not sign with you so you may lose him for nothing and you get a pick this year for one next year, you can try to recoup one later. We aren't taking a Kylington + Klimchuk + pick type of offer.

Jan 21, 2018
We have no need to trade Johnson so you have to make it worth our while. If we are trading him we are either looking for a youngish RD, like Hamilton, or decent futures. Bennett is a huge risk he'll become anything special, Fox might not sign with you so you may lose him for nothing and you get a pick this year for one next year, you can try to recoup one later. We aren't taking a Kylington + Klimchuk + pick type of offer.

That's closer to Johnson's value right now than Hamilton.

"We have no need to trade Johnson so you have to make it worth our while" is basically a lame way of saying his value is pretty low and we won't get much for him so you need to overpay if you want him.

Tampa is going to have to trade some of these contracts to keep their stars. They have a plethora of young talent available that can fill Johnson's role. He's certainly expendable if the right offer comes along, but give me a break you're not getting a legit top 4D for him. If Tampa isn't taking back any cap, I don't see them getting much more than prospects/picks for him. And with their talent and drafting/developing, it's not going to be the end of the world if they end up selling a little low on him. Chances are the guy they replace him with will cost 1/5 the price and produce just as much.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

"We have no need to trade Johnson so you have to make it worth our while" is basically a lame way of saying his value is pretty low and we won't get much for him so you need to overpay if you want him.

Tampa is going to have to trade some of these contracts to keep their stars. They have a plethora of young talent available that can fill Johnson's role. He's certainly expendable if the right offer comes along, but give me a break you're not getting a legit top 4D for him. If Tampa isn't taking back any cap, I don't see them getting much more than prospects/picks for him. And with their talent and drafting/developing, it's not going to be the end of the world if they end up selling a little low on him. Chances are the guy they replace him with will cost 1/5 the price and produce just as much.

For a top six center who also excels on the wing and is good for nearly a PPG in the playoffs? You bet your ass we can get a top four D for him. You can keep your table scraps and we’ll keep our second leading playoff scorer over the last several years.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
If you're giving Bennett so little value, why add him to the proposal, other than to create conflict.

Johnson, who had one good season, is not getting you a 24 year old #2 d-man. And yes, you will have to make moves to deal with cap space issues. It's either keep Johnson or end up with a bottom six and dcore that looks very different. I think Johnson, who is often pushed into the 3rd line, may not be entirely happy either.

Bit of a moot point. Like I said the Flames can't have Johnson and Gaudreau on a line together anyways. The Flames need a big net presence.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

How is his value low? You have to overpay because we have no reason to trade him. He's good for 20+ goals and 50 points, a 2C on most teams and possibly a low end 1C if he plays at his best. His contract is more than fine for what he brings too.

We will have to move somebody but it doesn't have to be this offseason and we can afford everybody next year. Johnson is nearly a ppg in the playoffs so I would look to keep him and move someone else. We will wait for the best offer to move someone, we aren't in a situation like Chicago where we need to almost give players away.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Where does Calgary rank Hamilton as a defenseman on their team?

Personally, Hamilton would be nice but a luxury like McDonagh is. A fair assessment for Hamilton would be close to what McDonagh got. Howden + Hajek + Pick = Johnson pretty much. So Johnson for Hamilton would be close in value, not this huge margin that Flames fans are going on about.

I would not move Johnson, we can afford him. A lot of factors going on for the new contracts. Kucherov will get paid, but its not going to be this world shattering contract. Point will take a bridge, like all of our home grown prospects do. Point will not be an exception. My biggest worry is resigning Stralman to a cap friendly deal and retaining McDonagh somehow. Pretty much after this season and next our defense is:

Hedman - ?
Sergachev - ?
? - ?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think a lot of Lightning fans were ready to move Johnson before the playoffs started and he, once again, took his game to a different level. I still think we might be forced to move him, but the difference between regular season TyJo and post-season TyJo is pretty incredible. He's not durable enough to sustain this level of play for long periods, I think, as we saw in 2015.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
According to HF, everyone on the Pens sucks without Crosby.

I'm not necessarily advocating for a trade here, but he's good for 15-20 without Crosby. He was one of out better ES producers last season. He had 53 in 61 games.

Anyways.
Well this isn't true at all, they don't suck but to be a fan of the team and pretend he doesn't help is hilarious. Sheary never scored a lot anywhere he has played but all of a sudden he does at the NHL level and its with Crosby. Hmmm weird. Pens fans have been trying to push Sheary on teams all year you obviously don't think he is very good.

Back to the topic at hand Tyler Johnson would be a great fit in Calgary but he is a good player so you gotta pay to get. Id imagine Bennett +++ would be the package.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Your value of Johnson is wayyy off. That, or you are undervaluing the Flames' players/prospects by a longshot.

I'm overvaluing Johnson a bit because we don't have to move him so it's going to take more to get him. Bennetts value is extremely low right now, Fox is a NCAA kid who we aren't guaranteed we could sign, he could walk in two years so his value isn't not easy to gauge. We would be sending a pick this year back so you have one in the first three rounds. With Johnson you should make the playoffs so the 1st isn't that early. What do you think it'll take?

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I think a lot of Lightning fans were ready to move Johnson before the playoffs started and he, once again, took his game to a different level. I still think we might be forced to move him, but the difference between regular season TyJo and post-season TyJo is pretty incredible. He's not durable enough to sustain this level of play for long periods, I think, as we saw in 2015.

I believe on another team, Johnson would produce more in the regular season. Given the his leadership role on this team, the general focus on playoff success and how long everyone has played together, him and guys like Killorn get away with playing at a lower gear during the regular season. On a new team with the pressure of making a new impression, we would put up higher point totals. He was also terribly snake-bitten throughout stretches of this year, I thought he was generally effective, especially on Point's wing.

Reactions: DFC

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Willing to add to Johnson if needed but not something big. Prospect or pick that's not a 1st I'd consider more than that I'd look elsewhere.

Johnson is a 50 point winger. Hamilton is a younger, 50 point,top pairing defenceman. Please believe the plus would be more than a first.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Johnson is a 50 point winger. Hamilton is a younger, 50 point,top pairing defenceman. Please believe the plus would be more than a first.
He plays both C and W, and has done the lion's share of his play in the NHL at C, by far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad