Value of: Tyler Johnson to the Calgary Flames

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
So with Peters as Calgary's new head coach, I'm wondering what it'll cost to get Johnson on the Flames. He's a RHS, super skilled forward that the Flames could use. He's not outright expendable but he's not a need for the Lightning with Point's emergence. Johnson is also from Spokane which is very similar to Calgary as a city so he should fit right in along with having a coach he's familiar with (Coached Spokane to a memorial cup victory and Johnson was 2008 WHL MVP).

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
So with Peters as Calgary's new head coach, I'm wondering what it'll cost to get Johnson on the Flames. He's a RHS, super skilled forward that the Flames could use. He's not outright expendable but he's not a need for the Lightning with Point's emergence. Johnson is also from Spokane which is very similar to Calgary as a city so he should fit right in along with having a coach he's familiar with (Coached Spokane to a memorial cup victory and Johnson was 2008 WHL MVP).

You want Johnson and your only offer is advice on why he'd like it in Calgary? Go ahead and wonder away ... make an offer.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
You want Johnson and your only offer is advice on why he'd like it in Calgary? Go ahead and wonder away ... make an offer.

Um he's a RHS skilled forward something Calgary really needs. The fact he knows Peters and is from a city that's close to Spokane both distance and culturally speaking is a bonus. Again what would Bolts fans like for him?

Reactions: MoneyHandsMonahan

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Um he's a RHS skilled forward something Calgary really needs. The fact he knows Peters and is from a city that's close to Spokane both distance and culturally speaking is a bonus. Again what would Bolts fans like for him?

Don't know ... what you got?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
You'll probably have to settle for the poor man's version in Derek Ryan. He also played for Bill Peters is junior and obviously in the NHL.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Flames don’t have much that would move the needle on Johnson and what they do have you wouldn’t want to give up.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Also I’m not sure why you think Johnson isn’t a need for us. We’re not exactly teeming with right handed forwards either and he both fills a spot as a wing in our top six and gives us a backup center in case Stamkos or Point goes down; he also gives us the luxury of playing a guy like Yanni Gourde on our third line which gives us ridiculous scoring depth. And that’s not even getting into his near-PPG playoff resume. He may be available if there’s a really good trade that makes us a better team both now and in the future but he won’t be traded just because we could theoretically afford to do so.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Calgary should offer a first!

Just keep trading firsts, while missing the playoffs.

- signed
Oiler nation.
If the Flames don't add a 1st this year, it will only be the 5th time in franchise history the Flames didn't have a pick in the first round. Let's not spew this bullshit rhetoric as if it's more than a one off situation.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Hamilton straight up? Bennett + Fox + 2019 1st for Johnson + 2018 2nd?

What are you smoking?

Unless Tampa wants to get rid of him I do not see a deal. Flames have very little to trade and Johnson is not elite enough to trade their core player for.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Lightning are perfectly content keeping TJ, and we are sure to get a better offer from teams who've actually managed their assets well enough to provide an attractive offer

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I assume if Tampa Bay trades Johnson it's to make cap space room. They will need every penny to pay Kucherov in a years time.

Not sure they will do that right now since they don't really need the immediate cap space and they have one more year of their team being together at their current cap hits.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Lightning are perfectly content keeping TJ, and we are sure to get a better offer from teams who've actually managed their assets well enough to provide an attractive offer
Is there a need for comments like this? As I stated above, this will only be the 5th time in franchise history the Flames have not had a first round pick. The team struggled to score goals and it cost us a playoff spot, it's unfortunate, but hardly this egregious incident of poor asset management like so many want to make it out to be. Especially when one who actually knows what they are talking about, would know that in the last 5 drafts the Flames had 6 first round picks and 6 second round picks. So it's not like they have been handing out picks year after year and we have a solid group of prospects and young NHLers to show for it.

So while we may not have picks to deal, we certainly have assets.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I assume if Tampa Bay trades Johnson it's to make cap space room. They will need every penny to pay Kucherov in a years time.

Not sure they will do that right now since they don't really need the immediate cap space and they have one more year of their team being together at their current cap hits.
Yeah the summer of 2019 will be when they have to do something, they will have to re-up Kucherov and Point.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Is there a need for comments like this? As I stated above, this will only be the 5th time in franchise history the Flames have not had a first round pick. The team struggled to score goals and it cost us a playoff spot, it's unfortunate, but hardly this egregious incident of poor asset management like so many want to make it out to be. Especially when one who actually knows what they are talking about, would know that in the last 5 drafts the Flames had 6 first round picks and 6 second round picks. So it's not like they have been handing out picks year after year and we have a solid group of prospects and young NHLers to show for it.

So while we may not have picks to deal, we certainly have assets.

I get you aren't a big fan of advanced stats, but the reality is the Flames were top 5 in every chance generation 5on5. Best team in the league in generating chances in general (Corsi and fenwick), and had some of the best quality chance generation in the league 5on5 as well. They had some of the worst shooting percentages. Some of it was due to just not enough skill. But you can't possibly tell me that none of it had to do with luck and shot handedness. Like wise I've seen Colorado, Anaheim, and Los Angeles get extremely lucky with chances that they were surprised went in (Aka just throwing it at the net), so really a portion of the Flames season revolved around luck. I don't think we would have leaped Anaheim even with better luck, but we probably would have leaped over LA. What I do know is Colorado was insanely lucky while we were extremely unlucky, and we were barely below Colorado for a majority of the season.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I get you aren't a big fan of advanced stats, but the reality is the Flames were top 5 in every chance generation 5on5. Best team in the league in generating chances in general (Corsi and fenwick), and had some of the best quality chance generation in the league 5on5 as well. They had some of the worst shooting percentages. Some of it was due to just not enough skill. But you can't possibly tell me that none of it had to do with luck and shot handedness. Like wise I've seen Colorado, Anaheim, and Los Angeles get extremely lucky with chances that they were surprised went in (Aka just throwing it at the net), so really a portion of the Flames season revolved around luck. I don't think we would have leaped Anaheim even with better luck, but we probably would have leaped over LA. What I do know is Colorado was insanely lucky while we were extremely unlucky, and we were barely below Colorado for a majority of the season.
1) Who gives a f*** about advanced stats. They are no more than 1 piece of information, like any other stat.

and more importantly....

2) What does this have to do with anything that I said? I was talking about the Flames having assets despite not having picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad