Tyler Johnson: Tampa's MVP?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
What stopped him getting drafted? How often does a guy playing on a US WJC team go undrafted?

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
How was this guy not drafted?

Small size and the fact that he was a late bloomer in the WHL...his best 2 seasons were as a 19-year old and then as an over-age 20 year old. I can't really blame other teams for missing the boat on Tyler Johnson. Steve Yzerman really is out-Hollanding Ken Holland in terms of finding diamonds in the rough with great upside.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
At this point in the season there is an argument to be made that Tyler Johnson is the league MVP. He's third in NHL scoring, kills penalties, leads the league in +/-, and is playing on a team that's battling for first overall. The only other guy who may fit in this Hart Trophy "criteria" is Getzlaf.

Filthy Mitts

Mar 21, 2014
St.Petersburg
I haven't really had the fortune of watching this kid much, but I really need to watch this team. I know it is too early to consider him among the elite players at this point in his career. However, does he just look like a quality player getting lots of good chances and a bit of luck, or does he look like a truly elite player? Is he looking like he can play at a level like Crosby, Giroux, Malkin, etc... for the next few years?

His stats truly are amazing though. That entire line may be some of the best amateur scouting I've ever seen.

No, he's not a Giroux, Malkin or Crosby level of player. Check out a game, the Triplets line will stick out and you'll see how they score all these points. I don't know if it's because I'm a Homer or these guys are just really as exciting as they've been to me but this trio is just electric.

3 smaller speedy players that just constantly create scoring chances while flying all over the ice.

I get giddy even talking about them, they're just fun to watch.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Easily Tampa's MVP. If he keeps doing what he's doing, he will be league MVP no doubt about it

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
No, he's not a Giroux, Malkin or Crosby level of player. Check out a game, the Triplets line will stick out and you'll see how they score all these points. I don't know if it's because I'm a Homer or these guys are just really as exciting as they've been to me but this trio is just electric.

3 smaller speedy players that just constantly create scoring chances while flying all over the ice.

I get giddy even talking about them, they're just fun to watch.

Sounds like a great player either way, and there is definitely a place for players like him. Perfect chemistry with linemates can make up for not being the most talented, and players with high hockey IQs will be able to take advantage of that the most. Usually the real driving piece on those lines are the guys who do all the clean-up work and it sounds like from this thread that Palat is the biggest gem on that line. Would you say that is true? I have a special place in my heart for players who can just move the play wherevery they want.

I definitely gotta watch more Lightning games, anything is better than this current Bruins team.

Filthy Mitts

Mar 21, 2014
St.Petersburg
Sounds like a great player either way, and there is definitely a place for players like him. Perfect chemistry with linemates can make up for not being the most talented, and players with high hockey IQs will be able to take advantage of that the most. Usually the real driving piece on those lines are the guys who do all the clean-up work and it sounds like from this thread that Palat is the biggest gem on that line. Would you say that is true? I have a special place in my heart for players who can just move the play wherevery they want.

I definitely gotta watch more Lightning games, anything is better than this current Bruins team.

Yes, Palat's two-way play is a huge contribution to the dynamic of that line. He's a puck hound. But all three of them are defensively responsible, and all three will dig pucks out of corners. Watching Kucherov throw his 170 lb. body at players makes me proud.

All three are skilled enough to lug the puck across the blue line, they all have great positioning and they have an uncanny ability to find each other with pinpoint passes.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Yes, Palat's two-way play is a huge contribution to the dynamic of that line. He's a puck hound. But all three of them are defensively responsible, and all three will dig pucks out of corners. Watching Kucherov throw his 170 lb. body at players makes me proud.

All three are skilled enough to lug the puck across the blue line, they all have great positioning and they have an uncanny ability to find each other with pinpoint passes.

Sounds like Palat is turning into a Bergeron on the wing.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
At the moment ya but that could change to Stamkos or Bishop depending on the second half.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I love the success that Johnson-Kucherov-Palat have been having.

Teams try so hard to shut down Stamkos and these guys end up making them pay.

That really hasn't been true in a while. Most teams, if not all of them, have caught on and understand where the real threat comes from. TKO just keeps dominating though.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
That really hasn't been true in a while. Most teams, if not all of them, have caught on and understand where the real threat comes from. TKO just keeps dominating though.

Yeah, it was Chicago who broke the mold of Top Pair and Top Checkers vs. Stamkos. Since then, other teams have caught on and put their best defenders out against TKO.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah, it was Chicago who broke the mold of Top Pair and Top Checkers vs. Stamkos. Since then, other teams have caught on and put their best defenders out against TKO.

I thought it was Detroit? Those games happened in sequence and I can't remember which one came first.

But since then, the teams who have scouts worth their money try to shut down TKO.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Seems like it for sure. Pretty crazy that in a few years Stamkos is likely just the 3rd or 4th highest paid guy on that team.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Seems like it for sure. Pretty crazy that in a few years Stamkos is likely just the 3rd or 4th highest paid guy on that team.

Yeah, not in any real world. Stamkos will get paid much more than any of the TKO Line. Johnson and Palat got $3m/yr in their Bridge deals. I expect Kucherov will get extended shortly for slightly more money in a bridge deal.

Al Murray has said, while watching Jo Drouin, Seth Jones and Kucherov play in a prospects tournament last season, that Kucherov "May end up being the best player" among those on the ice. His ceiling is highest of the TKO Line. This doesn't mean he'll earn more money than a guy who has put up multiple 50+ Goal Seasons.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I dunno about that. If he keeps playing like ass, maybe. But even then.

Stamkos could smoke cigarettes and drink coffee during every remaining game and still wind up with an $11m deal.

Kucherov's deal, IMO, will be very interesting. It'll be some sort of bridge deal, probably, but it could be big enough that Yzerman will have to get creative with the roster.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Love to see him so successful. I don't expect him to maintain this elite level, but these aren't empty points he's scoring here. He's producing against elite players on Tampa's top (shutdown?) line. I hope he keeps getting better and better. That whole line though... Throw Drouin on there in place of Palat and you have hands down my two favourite prospects of the last 2-3 years in Drouin and Kucherov and one of my new favourite players since last season in Johnson.

Keep it up TKO line though!

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Sounds like Palat is turning into a Bergeron on the wing.

If there's one non-center that may win the Selke again it's Palat. Not saying it's going to happen, just he's the winger who has the best shot at it in the next 5 years.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Love to see him so successful. I don't expect him to maintain this elite level, but these aren't empty points he's scoring here. He's producing against elite players on Tampa's top (shutdown?) line. I hope he keeps getting better and better. That whole line though... Throw Drouin on there in place of Palat and you have hands down my two favourite prospects of the last 2-3 years in Drouin and Kucherov and one of my new favourite players since last season in Johnson.

Keep it up TKO line though!

Do that and they're not nearly as effective. Besides it being a catchy lyric that works, "Forgot about Drej" means something to Bolts fans. Embodies selfless, smart, skilled hockey.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Do that and they're not nearly as effective. Besides it being a catchy lyric that works, "Forgot about Drej" means something to Bolts fans. Embodies selfless, smart, skilled hockey.

Absolutely, I totally agree. I was just saying that if Palat was replaced by Drouin, it'd be three of my favourite players/prospects in the world, all on one line. Aside from that, among my favourite players, only two are on the same team (Subban and Price are my #1 and #3, respectively).

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
He's been a pleasant surprise. I remember a time even Lightning fans would rank a guy like Conacher higher than Johnson. But the kid's been unreal, such a complete player with high hockey IQ, great wheels and hands, just a dominant player in all three zones with and without the puck.

His amazing chemistry with puck hound Palat and magician Kucherov is just icing on the cake.

At the time I ranked Conacher higher because I saw him as a top 6 player, and Johnson as a 3rd line center. I never expected his offensive game to be this good in the NHL. I think a lot of other people thought so too. He played defensive roles for Spokane's Memorial Cup year, and with the US WJC team. He had big stat seasons as a 19 and 20 year old, but that's not too uncommon for older players to do that in the CHL.

It's possible the Lightning envisioned him being more of a defensive minded guy too.

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=569118
The numbers jump out at you. Tyler Johnson notched 60 goals and 129 points in 85 games, including the playoffs, during his final season of junior hockey.

“If he never scores a point, he’ll be a very good player for us,” Lightning director of amateur scouting Al Murray said. “He was the second leading scorer in the Western Hockey League last year, but a big strength for him is his defensive ability and how smart he is. Spokane had the leading power play and penalty kill in the league and he was a big part of that. He is a very good two-way player with speed.”
Murray compares Johnson to former Selke Trophy winner Steve Kasper, who was 5-8, 175, and played the last 47 games of his career with the Lightning in 1992-93. He was nicknamed “The Friendly Ghost” or “The Shadow.”

“He’s not big or physical,” Murray said. “But he’s between the man and the puck all the time. He will go in and win battles for loose pucks, his speed allows him to defend well and he gets in lanes, block shots and he has really good vision.”

Johnson, who Murray said is excellent winning face-offs, moved out of the shadow of some talented line-mates and became a go-to offensive player this season for Chiefs’ coach Don Nachbaur.

So besides teams passing over him for his small build, it could have been that teams didn't think much of his offensive game translating to the NHL level. And 5' 9" players don't always excel as centers or on checking lines.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I love this kid's career arch. Before junior plays in the NORPAC league, which is a tier III junior league in Northwestern US (worse than NAHL). he dominates it as a 16 year old, and joins his hometown Spokane Chiefs (are him and Oshie the only NHL'ers to come from Washington state?). He proceeds to win WHL playoff MVP en route to winning the Memorial Cup. He then goes undrafted. Two seasons later he wins a gold medal at the WJC's. He then is invited to the Wild's training camp, but is CUT. Goes back to junior for his overage year, leads the WHL in goals, and then finally signs a deal with Tampa.

He then wins AHL rookie of the year, en route to helping Norfolk win the Calder Cup in a spectacular season for that team. The next season he gets his first taste of NHL action, and also wins the AHL MVP award. If it weren't for Mackinnon, he'd probably have won the Calder Trophy the next season (or maybe his linemate Palat).

So to recap, this 24 year old Art Ross candidate:
-Comes out of the NORPAC league, which makes him the only NHL'er to have ever played there. Most players there are lucky if they can make it onto a Division III NCAA team.
-Was never drafted
-Was cut in his first pro try-out with the Wild

That's some hockey fairy tale stuff.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I love this kid's career arch. Before junior plays in the NORPAC league, which is a tier III junior league in Northwestern US (worse than NAHL). he dominates it as a 16 year old, and joins his hometown Spokane Chiefs (are him and Oshie the only NHL'ers to come from Washington state?). He proceeds to win WHL playoff MVP en route to winning the Memorial Cup. He then goes undrafted. Two seasons later he wins a gold medal at the WJC's. He then is invited to the Wild's training camp, but is CUT. Goes back to junior for his overage year, leads the WHL in goals, and then finally signs a deal with Tampa.

He then wins AHL rookie of the year, en route to helping Norfolk win the Calder Cup in a spectacular season for that team. The next season he gets his first taste of NHL action, and also wins the AHL MVP award. If it weren't for Mackinnon, he'd probably have won the Calder Trophy the next season (or maybe his linemate Palat).

So to recap, this 24 year old Art Ross candidate:
-Comes out of the NORPAC league, which makes him the only NHL'er to have ever played there. Most players there are lucky if they can make it onto a Division III NCAA team.
-Was never drafted
-Was cut in his first pro try-out with the Wild

That's some hockey fairy tale stuff.

win, win, win

cut, cut, cut, sign

win, win, win

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Was really impressed with him last season, but this year was totally unexpected. Queestion for Tampa fans though. How much is on each player individually, and how much of the success can be attributed to three very good players being raised to a new level by awesome chemistry? Do you think they could put up similar numbers with average linemates?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad