Tyler Johnson: Tampa's MVP?

Filthy Mitts

Mar 21, 2014
St.Petersburg
He definitely has a shot to lead the league in points.

The craziest thing about the line is they've been dominant since they've all been paired together and havent shown a hint of being streaky, just hadn't had the ice time to completely blow up...

PP time? Yikes...could get ugly.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I think Leafs may have been in on him, too.

He was with Phoenix in 2008, then at Minnesota in 2009 & 2010, and signed with us right after his 2010-2011 season was over.

According to Johnson it was between Chicago or Tampa Bay and thankfully he picked us.

Last edited:

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I love the success that Johnson-Kucherov-Palat have been having.

Teams try so hard to shut down Stamkos and these guys end up making them pay.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
It's hard to put on above the two others from the TKO line but Johnson's probably the MVP so far even if just because he has the most points. That line is perfectly balanced. Palat digs the puck out the of the corner and handles the physical aspect. Johnson and Kucherov are both very talented passers who created chances for each other and can both finish when needed. Kucherov's three slap passes to Johnson in the last two games have been gorgeous.

Even if Johnson is generating most of the talk, you can't underestimate the importance of Kucherov and Palat. That line didn't look as good when Palat was injured for a couple of games. They are a trio rather than a duo with a third guy thrown in. Palat just makes them that much better. To tell the truth, every line becomes much more dangerous with Palat on it.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
How was this guy not drafted?

Can't think of any other explanation than his small size. If I remember correctly he even had tough time making his junior team. Just another example that if you have the smarts, the skills and the work ethic you don't need to be tall. Saw a video of his summer work outs where it shows he trains like crazy. He has put in the work and now he's enjoying the fruits of his labor.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
He's been a pleasant surprise. I remember a time even Lightning fans would rank a guy like Conacher higher than Johnson. But the kid's been unreal, such a complete player with high hockey IQ, great wheels and hands, just a dominant player in all three zones with and without the puck.

His amazing chemistry with puck hound Palat and magician Kucherov is just icing on the cake.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Draft Positions of the three players :laugh:
Johnson - Undrafted
Palat - 208th
Kucherov -58th

:laugh:
That's pretty awesome, no wonder Tampa is doing so well.

He's been a pleasant surprise. I remember a time even Lightning fans would rank a guy like Conacher higher than Johnson. But the kid's been unreal, such a complete player with high hockey IQ, great wheels and hands, just a dominant player in all three zones with and without the puck.
I'll be honest, last season I would have deemed Johnson being another Conacher, but this year he's proving me wrong and proving he's the real thing. You guys are lucky. And props to Yzerman. I guess that's how a good team gets better, by knowing which piece should be moved and which piece whould be kept.

JedYzerman

Jan 8, 2011
Cocoa Beach, FL
The biggest thing is SFY let them have the time to develop in the minors before calling them up. Patience was key. You can ruin even #1 drafted player by throwing them into the NHL too early. Oilers anyone?

Nei1ey*

This guy is Insane, i dont know how he does it, but he just keeps piling on points, i was watching highlights on NHL network, him & kucherov(sp?) have insane chemistry, that PP goal he scored yesterday was carbon copy of the one he scored a game before passed by the same guy. Even strength, these 2 are always creating something every shift while Palat does lot of the dirty work. How did Tampa strike this gold mine 3 times. Best line in the NHL consists of, Undrafted Player, 7th Round pick, and a late 2nd round pick. They remind of a certain defense in the NFL, Seattle Seahawks, where lot of their players were passed on and picked late or undrafted yet they became the best defense in the league by far.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
I haven't really had the fortune of watching this kid much, but I really need to watch this team. I know it is too early to consider him among the elite players at this point in his career. However, does he just look like a quality player getting lots of good chances and a bit of luck, or does he look like a truly elite player? Is he looking like he can play at a level like Crosby, Giroux, Malkin, etc... for the next few years?

His stats truly are amazing though. That entire line may be some of the best amateur scouting I've ever seen.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I haven't really had the fortune of watching this kid much, but I really need to watch this team. I know it is too early to consider him among the elite players at this point in his career. However, does he just look like a quality player getting lots of good chances and a bit of luck, or does he look like a truly elite player? Is he looking like he can play at a level like Crosby, Giroux, Malkin, etc... for the next few years?

His stats truly are amazing though. That entire line may be some of the best amateur scouting I've ever seen.

More or less what MSL did in his prime, tons of speed, excellent skating and the ability the open up space for linemates, and he's a workout freak, the strength is there so he doesn't get bullied by the bigger guys. Not quite as dynamic or creative as MSL was but he's got much better defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad