Confirmed with Link: Tyler Ennis coming to camp on a PTO

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
If I knew the offseason was going to play out like this I would have just kept dadonov?

Don't agree. Someone will either step up or become available in a trade to fill his role. Getting his salary off the books for this year is good but for next year it is excellent to not have him filling a spot on the roster.

Assen na yo!

Reactions: aragorn

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
I mean, it's hard to argue that Ennis wasn't better in his time with us than Dadonov was with us. Dadonov has more to offer, but wasn't able to shine as much as he could with us. Ennis provided some jam and produced more offensively.

I like this PTO. He's going to be hard to beat in camp. I'm not going to be upset if he makes it.

A very conservative look at the forward group (not my pick for lines or anything), assuming Tkachuk is signed and playing to start the year:

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stützle - White - Brown
Paul - Pinto - Ennis
Formenton - Tierney - Watson
Brown

Where White, Pinto, and Brown rotate or Ennis comes out to put White on the wing and one of the young centers in. It's not a bad setup. I don't think anyone is undeservedly pushed out or down with this setup.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Don't agree. Someone will either step up or become available in a trade to fill his role. Getting his salary off the books for this year is good but for next year it is excellent to not have him filling a spot on the roster.

Assen na yo!
We will still have del zotto next year and me thinks we will sign another bad. D man next offseason s for good coin

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
We will still have del zotto next year and me thinks we will sign another bad. D man next offseason s for good coin

I doubt it with Sanderson joining the lineup and JBD probably making the team.

But I fail to understand how Dadonov's spot on the roster impacts the d corps.

Assen na yo!

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I doubt it with Sanderson joining the lineup and JBD probably making the team.

But I fail to understand how Dadonov's spot on the roster impacts the d corps.

Assen na yo!
I would rather pay dadonov 5 than dal zotto and whoever we got for him 3.5

Reactions: bert

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I would rather pay dadonov 5 than dal zotto and whoever we got for him 3.5

That makes no sense, we need help on defense, Holden and Del Zotto should provide some improvement in that regard (hopefully), and Dadonov being here was just taking up a roster spot from someone who probably deserves it more. I would rather go with a younger player upfront this season then take a chance that Dadonov would repeat his poor performance from last season.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Ennis is fine but Gusev would have been a real nice add as a PTO. Don't know if that was possible though.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
So now that we acquired Sanford, we are only 1.1M under the cap. If Brady isn't signed before season opener, I guess Ennis will be given a 1 year, 2-way 1.1M deal right? That way we'll avoid any penalties in case BT holds out for a while longer.

ksens

Mar 8, 2006
So now that we acquired Sanford, we are only 1.1M under the cap. If Brady isn't signed before season opener, I guess Ennis will be given a 1 year, 2-way 1.1M deal right? That way we'll avoid any penalties in case BT holds out for a while longer.

This is exactly what is going to happen. The league minimum is $750K, so we're going to throw an extra $350K at Ennis to get to the floor.

Reactions: gab6511

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Not sure if we should sign him after that Chabot crosscheck, damaged goods.

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Looked great vs Jets. I also liked his interview, nice things about the team, culture, coaching, future, etc. I think he’s got a great attitude.

But there’s no room in a regular lineup. Or at least not with Sanford here. Maybe as a 13th fwd and rotating w Sanford or others on the 4th line/struggling?

Reactions: bert

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
He guarantees guys like Pinto, Form, Soko etc know they aren’t auto making this team.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
But not as a 13th forward though. Kelly needs to play in my opinion.

I get that. I think Ennis gets a contract and hopefully gets moved at the deadline, leaving a slightly more developed Parker Kelly (or another prospect) to be called up to fill his spot. Or just sit Ennis if a prospect is playing great in Belleville. He'll be cheap so no harm in having him sit in the press box.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I get that. I think Ennis gets a contract and hopefully gets moved at the deadline, leaving a slightly more developed Parker Kelly (or another prospect) to be called up to fill his spot. Or just sit Ennis if a prospect is playing great in Belleville. He'll be cheap so no harm in having him sit in the press box.

I definitely like Kelly more as a full timer, just don’t want the guy sitting in the press box as you say.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Let's sign him, but just don't play him every game, keep in mind he won't be here next year. Wait for injuries, even if you know that he's better than some guys underperforming or something. Play him over Tierney if he is not at Center.

Could even maybe get a pick for Ennis at the deadline. He would be an "insurance policy" for us this season. Injuries happen

Sokolov needs a bit more time in the AHL too, last year wasn't a full season.

Crookshank recover from injury will take months

Jarventie is too young/raw, need a developmental year in the AHL

Greig is not "strong" enough yet, need a developmental year as well (unfortunately in junior)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
With so many guys on the bubble of making this team I'm not really sure why they also want Ennis & Sabourin other than as insurance policy against certain guys getting hurt but they also have that in Belleville. It's most likely that they will again try & move them at the trade deadline. It almost seems like a revolving door with those two, we'll sign you now & you sit most games & then we trade you at the TDL for some assets & next yr we'll do the same thing again, okay? OKAY!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This is exactly what is going to happen. The league minimum is $750K, so we're going to throw an extra $350K at Ennis to get to the floor.

Do we need to give Ennis more? Could we not just call up a Belleville player or 2 to reach the floor for a few games?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad