News Article: Tyler Bozak is on the move

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
If nothing changes, Nylander will follow basically the same career path as Kadri.

A natural center forced to develop on the wing because of Bozak and his ability to take faceoffs.

Kadri was forced to the wing because we thought Tim ****ing Brent should be our 3rd line center.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Are you like a Lawyer, Doctor, or Business owner?

Good lord that's expensive.

That's peanuts for a downtown condo tbh. My wife is a food scientist and I was a chef but now am in radio broadcasting. $325,000 doesn't get you far in this city. The average home is around a million bucks. The fact that we'll make $150,000 profit and we've only been downtown for 3 years is incredible to me. My place has a great view of the lake, is big enough for us and the dog and the fact that our walls are soundproof is good enough for us. We're blue collar people who want a country home. The construction out my window at Fort York and Bathurst pisses me off though. I can hear it through the bathroom vent when i shower its so loud. Living downtown sucks tbh. It's just addicts, homeless people, drunks and full of people who dont know how to drive and cyclists and pedestrians who dont give a ****. Weekends are horrible, it's 90% drunken 20 year olds who wanna party because they're downtown. And no, im not old and i drink and party lol. I just don't get why people think downtown is so great(outside of the restaurants).

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Kadri was forced to the wing because we thought Tim ****ing Brent should be our 3rd line center.

Better off not arguing Bozak/Kadri with TLeafsFan; he used to go absolutely ******* on the official Leafs forums about how Bozak was a glory hound and once the Leafs realized he sucked then they could get on with making Nazem Kadri first line center... and then the Leafs would be an INSTANT Cup contender as Kadri scored 100 points and single-handedly led the Leafs...

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
That's peanuts for a downtown condo tbh. My wife is a food scientist and I was a chef but now am in radio broadcasting. $325,000 doesn't get you far in this city. The average home is around a million bucks. The fact that we'll make $150,000 profit and we've only been downtown for 3 years is incredible to me. My place has a great view of the lake, is big enough for us and the dog and the fact that our walls are soundproof is good enough for us. We're blue collar people who want a country home. The construction out my window at Fort York and Bathurst pisses me off though. I can hear it through the bathroom vent when i shower its so loud. Living downtown sucks tbh. It's just addicts, homeless people, drunks and full of people who dont know how to drive and cyclists and pedestrians who dont give a ****. Weekends are horrible, it's 90% drunken 20 year olds who wanna party because they're downtown. And no, im not old and i drink and party lol. I just don't get why people think downtown is so great(outside of the restaurants).
I'd argue that a household income of $500,000 is what'd garner you a decent standard of living in cities like Toronto. Melbourne and even more so Sydney is a lot more expensive.

Nowadays, even the upper middle class are quite strained financially. Once you add in resource depletion especially with the ridiculous number of very populous nations dependent on the Tibetan Plateau, things could end up becoming even tighter as wealthier nations must host even more people.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
To me a player can be important in the now but not a core piece. Nylander in my view is a core piece. Zaitsev is a good example of someone who I consider important to the franchise today, but largely interchangeable in the long term. We need Zaitsev today because we are very weak at D. But do I think we should have committed to him long term? I don't, because I don't think he's at that elite or near elite level. But at the same time, if we lost him today, who would we replace him with? Marchenko? Similarly with Bozak, if we trade him today, who replaces him? Ben Smith? Ideally it's Nylander, and long term I feel like he will be the answer, but it's by no means a sure thin, and especially not for this upcoming season. Going by what the coach has said, even though Nylander has played the middle at other levels, he's not ready to do it for 82 in the N. Having vet guys like Bozak allows you to experiment for a few games or even a few periods. If we have a 4-1 lead in the 3rd, why not let Nylander play the middle and shift Bozak down the lineup or to the wing. That gradual build allows Nylander time to learn the position without being thrusted into a role with pressure that he's not ready for.

The draft discussion is a waste. You're using best case examples. Simply put, if we each made a list of all the players drafted 31-60, and my list has busts, and your list has studs, my list would dwarf yours. If you think it's wise to have two lottery tickets instead of one, great. Mine would be to take advantage of NHL quality players while you have them.

I agree with a lot you say here when it comes to Bozak. If we move him, we're very vulnerable to injuries as well.

As for the draft, I wasn't using best case as much as I used an example of good drafting. All teams are relatively successful in early first, all teams miss much more than they hit in later rounds. The difference lies in late first and seconds (perhaps third as well), where a good drafting team can hit very frequently. It's not just Anaheim, it's pretty much the same with all the top drafting teams.

With good drafting, we can turn that range into a gold mine for us. And while we still might miss more than we hit, getting 1 good NHL player per 4 picks would be a success and it's a rate we could easily get to. The best teams are twice as effective as that.

The other issue I see with your point is that we're not talking about using or not using NHL quality players. If we trade for example JVR and use Kapanen or Leivo instead, we still use NHL quality players while also getting the above.

Are you posting from a phone? I know when I do, I occasionally wind up with French because I use it with some friends I text with.

No, the computer. Not having any issues with other sites either. And it just started happening lately, for no apparent reason.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If you guys need a household income of 500K for a decent standard of living then I don't even know what to say other than your idea of "decent" is a lot different than mine and you're spending way too much money on things you don't really need. Seriously, 500K - that's just ridiculous.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I agree 100% about downtown and can't help but wonder why you live there if you don't like it? Sounds like if you need to be in the city, you'd be much happier where I live (Swansea). You can also get an awesome view of the lake but be in a much quieter and safer neighbourhood, be super close to the bike paths by the lake and high park, also close to Bloor West Village, close to major highways and a short drive away from downtown when you want to venture that way. Best place to live in the city IMO if you want to be near the water like I do. And I'm pretty sure condos are cheaper too. :)

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
If you guys need a household income of 500K for a decent standard of living then I don't even know what to say other than your idea of "decent" is a lot different than mine and you're spending way too much money on things you don't really need. Seriously, 500K - that's just ridiculous.

For a family of 4, in a downtown core in a big city, that is not a lot of money. Govt get half, your mortgage is probably around 5k to 8k a month, your groceries are around 300 a week, then you have money to set aside for retirement and investments, your auto/gas bill is probably in the 2 grand a month range. Entertainment is probably in the 500 to 800 a month range. It wont take you long to spend that $500k. Is it a good/comfortable lifestyle, sure. Could you do it for less, yep. If you are making $500k per year you're probably not in the penny pinching game. Most Canadians spend what they make, some are cost conscious but the over whelming majority live pay cheque to pay cheque. I make 30k,I spend 30k, I make 500k , I spend 500k.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
For a family of 4, in a downtown core in a big city, that is not a lot of money. Govt get half, your mortgage is probably around 5k to 8k a month, your groceries are around 300 a week, then you have money to set aside for retirement and investments, your auto/gas bill is probably in the 2 grand a month range. Entertainment is probably in the 500 to 800 a month range. It wont take you long to spend that $500k. Is it a good/comfortable lifestyle, sure. Could you do it for less, yep. If you are making $500k per year you're probably not in the penny pinching game. Most Canadians spend what they make, some are cost conscious but the over whelming majority live pay cheque to pay cheque. I make 30k,I spend 30k, I make 500k , I spend 500k.

OK I just googled it, here we go:

The median total annual family income of the Toronto region is estimated at $72,830

Yeah I get it, the downtown core costs more but I think most people with a family of 4 would prefer to live elsewhere anyway. Also, there's an absolutely massive gap between 73K and 500K.

My theory is that we live in one of the best and richest countries in the world, Toronto is one of the best and richest cities in the world and in general, people here are among the happiest in the world. Now if most families were forced to scrape by on ~15% of the gross income required to live "decently", that simply would not be the case. Living decently does not mean living in the downtown core and spending 2 grand a month on cars/gas etc. JMHO.

I agree that most spend what they make. Take a family living on 73K and give them 500K, they'll have no trouble spending it but that doesn't mean they'll necessarily do so and it also doesn't mean they'd be any happier if they did.

Edit - Also, the govt. getting half is a worst case scenario, if one person earned 500K then sure, govt would get almost half. If two people made 250K each though, they'd get to keep closer to 60% of their gross so about 300K out of 500K.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017

Seriously 500k is an early 2016 price. What building are you in?

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I agree 100% about downtown and can't help but wonder why you live there if you don't like it? Sounds like if you need to be in the city, you'd be much happier where I live (Swansea). You can also get an awesome view of the lake but be in a much quieter and safer neighbourhood, be super close to the bike paths by the lake and high park, also close to Bloor West Village, close to major highways and a short drive away from downtown when you want to venture that way. Best place to live in the city IMO if you want to be near the water like I do. And I'm pretty sure condos are cheaper too. :)

Swansea isn't much cheaper as compared to the core for all the reason syou stated above plus there aren't nearly as many buidlings. Currently 38 Condos for sale in Highpark/Swansea and 467 in C01 Waterfront.

Swansea is a fantastic neigbourhood!

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I'd argue that a household income of $500,000 is what'd garner you a decent standard of living in cities like Toronto. Melbourne and even more so Sydney is a lot more expensive.

Nowadays, even the upper middle class are quite strained financially. Once you add in resource depletion especially with the ridiculous number of very populous nations dependent on the Tibetan Plateau, things could end up becoming even tighter as wealthier nations must host even more people.

500k annually is top 1% type money. You seriously don't need to make that kind of money to live well in Toronto

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
OK I just googled it, here we go:

The median total annual family income of the Toronto region is estimated at $72,830

Yeah I get it, the downtown core costs more but I think most people with a family of 4 would prefer to live elsewhere anyway. Also, there's an absolutely massive gap between 73K and 500K.

My theory is that we live in one of the best and richest countries in the world, Toronto is one of the best and richest cities in the world and in general, people here are among the happiest in the world. Now if most families were forced to scrape by on ~15% of the gross income required to live "decently", that simply would not be the case. Living decently does not mean living in the downtown core and spending 2 grand a month on cars/gas etc. JMHO.

I agree that most spend what they make. Take a family living on 73K and give them 500K, they'll have no trouble spending it but that doesn't mean they'll necessarily do so and it also doesn't mean they'd be any happier if they did.

Edit - Also, the govt. getting half is a worst case scenario, if one person earned 500K then sure, govt would get almost half. If two people made 250K each though, they'd get to keep closer to 60% of their gross so about 300K out of 500K.

Good work, could you imagine living on a family income of 73k in Toronto? There must be a lot of welfare/social assistance in the Toronto area or people living in shoe boxes. I think the key word though is a decent living, meaning you can plan for vacations, you don't live hand to mouth, you can afford to have a rainy day savings account, you can plan for retirement, you can have a few toys, maybe a summer cottage, etc. 73 k in Toronto you are living hand to mouth.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Swansea isn't much cheaper as compared to the core for all the reason syou stated above plus there aren't nearly as many buidlings. Currently 38 Condos for sale in Highpark/Swansea and 467 in C01 Waterfront.

Swansea is a fantastic neigbourhood!

I thought it might a bit cheaper, not a lot though for sure. I love it here, 5 minute walk from High Park and the Lake, 5 minutes bike ride or 15 minute walk from Bloor St. Village which is very nice, 15 minute bike ride to Ontario Place which used to be irrelevant but is now very nice with more to come, for me, it's the best area in the city by far. I'll never leave here unless it's to move out of Toronto entirely.

Good work, could you imagine living on a family income of 73k in Toronto? There must be a lot of welfare/social assistance in the Toronto area or people living in shoe boxes. I think the key word though is a decent living, meaning you can plan for vacations, you don't live hand to mouth, you can afford to have a rainy day savings account, you can plan for retirement, you can have a few toys, maybe a summer cottage, etc. 73 k in Toronto you are living hand to mouth.

What you're describing sounds more lavish than decent to me. Say your take home is 250K and as you say, you have a 5K mortage and spend 2K on car/gas, that leaves you with over 13K a month for everything else. Yeah, that's lavish, I don't see how it can be described as anything but. And no, you don't need to live in a shoe box on 73K, tons of people live decently on less than that.

Anyhow, back on subject, good luck with the move Tyler. Hope you sign a 3Mx3 extension with us, then you won't have to move far. ;)

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I thought it might a bit cheaper, not a lot though for sure. I love it here, 5 minute walk from High Park and the Lake, 5 minutes bike ride or 15 minute walk from Bloor St. Village which is very nice, 15 minute bike ride to Ontario Place which used to be irrelevant but is now very nice with more to come, for me, it's the best area in the city by far. I'll never leave here unless it's to move out of Toronto entirely.
. ;)

I hear that. We're in the Beaches which is basically the same but East end.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I hear that. We're in the Beaches which is basically the same but East end.

Yup, no wonder you get it. :)

I think of Swansea as sort of low key, quieter and less hyped version of the Beaches. And I haven't really looked but I think it's a lot cheaper than the Beaches too (real estate). I go to the Beaches every now and then, awesome place. It's sort of what Swassea would be like of Bloor West Village was moved down to the Queensway.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Anyhow, back on subject, good luck with the move Tyler. Hope you sign a 3Mx3 extension with us, then you won't have to move far. ;)

I think I'd be ok with that number as well but I don't think the Player would think he's worth less than he makes now.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
This. People keep tossing out that quote which is fine but what about that other quote - "we have a five year plan that changes every day". Wouldn't surprise me to hear Babcock trot that one out in October after Nylander is moved to center and he's asked about the first quote.

Yeah I think Nylander will be a C and people will ask Babcock "last year you said he wasn't a C?" and Babcock will answer, "well that was last year" and be done with it. :laugh:

Man if you guys knew where I lived you'd really think it was the middle of nowhere :laugh:

I make 30k,I spend 30k, I make 500k , I spend 500k.

This is too true, and who is happier? Could be either person. More money isn't always a good thing.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yeah I think Nylander will be a C and people will ask Babcock "last year you said he wasn't a C?" and Babcock will answer, "well that was last year" and be done with it. :laugh:

Man if you guys knew where I lived you'd really think it was the middle of nowhere
:laugh:

This is too true, and who is happier? Could be either person. More money isn't always a good thing.

I've lived in the middle of nowhere, was the best place I ever lived in many ways. Of course the middle of nowhere can mean many different things ...

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I've lived in the middle of nowhere, was the best place I ever lived in many ways. Of course the middle of nowhere can mean many different things ...

I bet, I love it out here and that's why I'm here. Halifax is nothing compared to Toronto and I'm about 20 mins south of Halifax.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Man if you guys knew where I lived you'd really think it was the middle of nowhere :laugh:

The comment is wrong... In Canada if you make $1 you spend $1.50+ or so they say. It's a bit of a problem.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I bet, I love it out here and that's why I'm here. Halifax is nothing compared to Toronto and I'm about 20 mins south of Halifax.

Oh wow, I'm envious, I think I'd love it there. I've always been drawn to Halifax for some reason, never been but hope to get there in the next year or three. And being somewhere remote but still close to the city at the same time would be my ideal situation. I was living that dream up until about 5 years ago when circumstances made me move back to Canada. I still miss it, probably always will.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I like Bozak... but our team might be better if we traded him and moved Nylander to center, opening up a winger spot for someone like Leivo or Kapanen.

what's better:

JVR - Bozak - Nylander

or

JVR - Nylander - Kapanen

Not really sure what's better to be honest. Pretty close.

except that

Marner

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Oh wow, I'm envious, I think I'd love it there. I've always been drawn to Halifax for some reason, never been but hope to get there in the next year or three. And being somewhere remote but still close to the city at the same time would be my ideal situation. I was living that dream up until about 5 years ago when circumstances made me move back to Canada. I still miss it, probably always will.

You would. Close to the (small) city, right by the ocean, house buried in the woods so no neighbours and lots of privacy :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad