Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (F) - PART III

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Looks to me like that model is dynamite at picking forwards. We would have Point, Kucherov, Kaspirov, Gaudreau, Hertl, Panarin, Hintz, Robertson, Debrincat, Lundell, etc..

Not so good at picking D though. I see only Bouchard (over Tkachuk, which is a hard no for me) and Ryan Ellis.

Seems like a very good way to find some scoring talent but does not provide a well-balanced appraoch to identifying all the roles needed for a winning team.
Definitely points driven .. Tkachuk would slip through. I have read some of Bader's work as well and at least in what I have read recommends going with the points vs other traits hoping the points will come. If you let the computer do the scouting that's what you are going to get. Now there are more metrics you can include but keeping it simple and being able to quantify over time its where we are at.

Controlled zone exits/entries for example are not par of it. Passes into high danger scoring areas neither. Without more consistent stats available across long samples we just won't get models showing higher NHLe for fantastic shutdown D.

Definitely will miss those high volume SC generators that don't have the points to back that up.

Reactions: Frank8

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Well, this is a hard question to answer for many reasons. First, there is no universal player ranking system. Second, I don't have the computer skills to see margin of error per pick. Lastly, the model goes back to 2007, but even with split data, the model is still able to use information from, say, the 2017 draft to inform projections in the 2007 draft. On the other hand, NHL teams can use stats and eye-test, they can control development, and they can make trades at the draft table. The above makes a straight comparison not exactly fair for either side. With that being said, the model was made before the 2021 draft, so that is new data for the model.

Anyway, the chart below contains the picks the model would have made with Ottawa's picks. I am assuming the model selects the player with the highest star probability. Each user is free to decide how to evaluate the picks. I kept goalies the same.

Model seems pretty good at identifying the players with the most impressive numbers, with an obvious exception being Russian players. Model is clearly placing too much value on their production.

It definitely shows that draft year production is a significant predictor of future success. It also provides some evidence for my preferred strategy that once you get past the 1st/2nd rounds it's smarter to throw darts at longshots with great production relative to their competition than try to draft future replacement level players to fill out the roster 5 years down the road.

Thanks for sharing that.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
We would of had a combo of good and bad ones, not just the good ones.
WTF? Of course not - that is what I said. You stated we could have ended up with only the bad ones and I said using this method we would have ended up with ALL of them so of course the good and the bad.

The good are far better than the good we have drafted so seems like a net positive.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Not done arguing against Boucher yet eh?

Let a person be optimistic.
Boucher optimists are easily the most sensitive and delicate people on the board I have ever seen.

He didnt have a great season, everyone hopes he does better next year...what's the big problem?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Boucher optimists are easily the most sensitive and delicate people on the board I have ever seen.

He didnt have a great season, everyone hopes he does better next year...what's the big problem?

Maybe it’s the constant barrage from “The 62” comparing him to a 6th rounder ?

Reactions: PlayersLtd

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
The Boucher debate can be shelved for the summer at this point. It's well documented and nothing more is going to come from it. Baiting someone into another dead end discussion by challenging them to define 'fine' is just asking for more unnecessary and combative pollution on these boards, imo.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
[MOD]
The Boucher debate can be shelved for the summer at this point. It's well documented and nothing more is going to come from it. Baiting someone into another dead end discussion by challenging them to define 'fine' is just asking for more unnecessary and combative pollution on these boards, imo.
How is that baiting someone?

Is fine being a 4th liner? 3rd line energy guy? Top 6?

Hard to see how asking to understand a point of view can trigger you like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
What # was our 10OA (and the second highest drafted prospect) on your recent list ?
You've pointed out many times that we're not pros on these boards, we're just excitable fans. Why do our opinions carry any weight at all in calling him a sixth rounder? The scouts in the Sens organization had him at 10th overall.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
You've pointed out many times that we're not pros on these boards, we're just excitable fans. Why do our opinions carry any weight at all in calling him a sixth rounder? The scouts in the Sens organization had him at 10th overall.

They don’t … I don’t believe I said they did…. It’s just noise to be defected, ignored, or countered.

Just like asking to turn down really bad music - it doesn’t give the music any credibility.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
They don’t … I don’t believe I said they did…. It’s just noise to be defected, ignored, or countered.

Just like asking to turn down really bad music - it doesn’t give the music any credibility.
Then what's your frame of reference for calling him a sixth round pick? I don't see many doing that.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
“Boucher Optimist” group now? Man, I’m part of so many nicely packaged judgement groups at this point.

Thankfully the ‘EM Apologist’ group and the ‘Owner Bootlicker’ group have been disbanded for the time being, so that frees up some time for other memberships.

My application to join the ‘Realistic Poster’ group has been pending for weeks now though, so admittedly I’ve lost hope.

I’m still hoping to wear the flair with pride from the ‘I told you all so’ group when this Dorion built team takes off though… Might even be able to double membership, from one to two?

:)

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
“Boucher Optimist” group now? Man, I’m part of so many nicely packaged judgement groups at this point.

Thankfully the ‘EM Apologist’ group and the ‘Owner Bootlicker’ group have been disbanded for the time being, so that frees up some time for other memberships.
Same as being lumped in to the haters group except more compassionate and understanding.

As you have said to me, I am not lumping you in there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad