Prospect Info: Tyler Bertuzzi

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Sounds like Mitch Callahan.

That was my initial reaction after I heard them describe his game. But a 2nd rounder? Who might not even make it to the NHL?

Let's see what the Wings management have to say about this pick and how it pans out.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
It's not like he is Zetterberg or Datsyuk and playing thousands of miles away and no one else saw him.

He's playing in Canada and everyone else knew he sucks which is why he was ranked #207 among NA skaters. Such a bad pick. Hard for me to believe that actually happened, as a matter or fact.

So much judging in this thread from people who have never seen him play.

Bertuzzi is a guy who made Guelph last year as a 5'8"(at most) 4th rounder who was 150lbs soaking wet based on effort alone. He's grown to 6'0" and looks to still be growing. He's a player who will skate through a wall to win and knows how to get under his opponents skin. He creates a ton of energy which tends to rub off on the rest of his team, very similar to Tootoo.

His offensive skills are being seriously underated as he went through a long stretch of battling injuries this year. From late january to early march he put up a stretch of 14 pts in 14 games including three two goal games.

Overall based on his play style he seems like a safe bet to play in the NHL and has some offensive upside to go along with it as well.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
He's playing in Canada and everyone else knew he sucks which is why he was ranked #207 among NA skaters. Such a bad pick. Hard for me to believe that actually happened, as a matter or fact.

Don't worry about the rankings. Get the players you want. They used essentially a free pick to get him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Still, this is just an extra gamble. They traded down to get this extra pick and still got Mantha at 1st round.

No. It's a waste of a 2nd round pick. A gamble is taking someone like Lehkonen or Buchnevich. Guys with talent that could actually become something.

Bertuzzi is a guy you draft in rounds 6 or 7. You can pick up undrafted guys like him every year for nothing.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So much judging in this thread from people who have never seen him play.

Bertuzzi is a guy who made Guelph last year as a 5'8"(at most) 4th rounder who was 150lbs soaking wet based on effort alone. He's grown to 6'0" and looks to still be growing. He's a player who will skate through a wall to win and knows how to get under his opponents skin. He creates a ton of energy which tends to rub off on the rest of his team.

His offensive skills are being seriously underated as he went through a long stretch of battling injuries this year. From late january to early march he put up a stretch of 14 pts in 14 games including three two goal games.

It's not about the player, it's about the value. There are guys available like him every year in rounds 5, 6, or 7. Undrafted guys as well.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
Interesting pick for sure. Seems like he dealt with injuries this year.

Are the wings following the Stl/LA draft tendancies or what? You get harder to play against, dont spend as much based on production.

They must really dig him though, which is kind of exciting.

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
I will say that value is a pretty useless concept. Wings have shown they know how to scout, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, especially because they have seen the kid play.

1st Line Interloper

Will Drop the Gloves
May 4, 2013
Statistically similar to Andrew Shaw.

He's likely a 4th liner that is an agitator. It would be scary to think about him and McKee on the same line.

I was originally pissed about this pick but I'm slowly warming up to it. Chances are we can still get Buchnevich at the next pick.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Statistically similar to Andrew Shaw.

He's likely a 4th liner that is an agitator. It would be scary to think about him and McKee on the same line.

I was originally pissed about this pick but I'm slowly warming up to it. Chances are we can still get Buchnevich at the next pick.

Yeah I've moved on, I'll probably dislike it until I hear the Wings talk about it. If we can grab Lodge, Kujawinski or Buchnevich I'll get over this pick right away.

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
I'm a Storm fan, went to 10 games this season plus saw 5 or so more on TV. I'm shocked he went in the second. He's been an solid player for the Storm, great pest while contributing some offense this season. But I really don't think he should've been drafted this high. Very odd move. But Detroit always drafts well, maybe they saw something in him that I/the rest of the media didn't.

1st Line Interloper

Will Drop the Gloves
May 4, 2013
I'm a Storm fan, went to 10 games this season plus saw 5 or so more on TV. I'm shocked he went in the second. He's been an solid player for the Storm, great pest while contributing some offense this season. But I really don't think he should've been drafted this high. Very odd move. But Detroit always drafts well, maybe they saw something in him that I/the rest of the media didn't.

What round would you have graded him in?

sureWhyNot

Jan 24, 2012
Chicago
Yeah, his skill level makes Andrew Shaw look like Pavel Datsyuk :sarcasm:

I know there is warnings on these boards for people insulting others - which I agree with whole heatedly.

There should also be warning for people posting about things/players they have never seen play or have a clue about.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
what is funny is that these are the types of guys who we never can get when they become available at either the trade deadline or when they're a ufa. Character players like this are always valued by teams making a playoff run. This kid still could grow and from what everyone says is a great teammate. Given Shaw's effectiveness in the playoffs it seems that Bertuzzi was not going to last long.

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
Love this kid. Love him. He's the type of guy we don't have enough of in our system.

I am sure alot of people will rag on the pick, but I am also sure those same people have never seen the kid play.

Comparisons to shaw are funny. Better scrapper and could easily develop into a better checking line/pk'er.

First time I've been happy with holland in a while.

Have you even seen him play? This does not seem like a second round player...

sureWhyNot

Jan 24, 2012
Chicago
No. It's a waste of a 2nd round pick. A gamble is taking someone like Lehkonen or Buchnevich. Guys with talent that could actually become something.

Bertuzzi is a guy you draft in rounds 6 or 7. You can pick up undrafted guys like him every year for nothing.

Dude stop it. You are flat out wrong.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Some of you really will go to any length to try and defend any move that Holland makes.

This majority of this board dislikes Tootoo, and then we go and draft a guy who projects to be a similar player to Tootoo and you guys defend the pick.

They are both 5'8/5'9 agitators, but Tootoo actually put up better numbers in Juniors.

I'd love to eat crow with this, but it doesn't look good guys. Sometimes you just have to be realistic.

Tootoo went in the 4th round too btw, to try and get a comparison.

Tootoo

00-01 60 gp 20 g 48 pts

Bertuzzi

12-13 43 gp 13 g 22 pts

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
Have you even seen him play? This does not seem like a second round player...

He was not going to last, I am sure if the Wings thought he was a well kept secret they would've waited. They must've known that someone was going to take him. I love the pick, its about time they had a guy like this who is a Matt Cooke, Raffi Torres type.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Some of you really will go to any length to try and defend any move that Holland makes.

This majority of this board dislikes Tootoo, and then we go and draft a guy who projects to be a similar player to Tootoo and you guys defend the pick.

They are both 5'8/5'9 agitators, but Tootoo actually put up better numbers in Juniors.

Bertuzzi is 6'0. Not any kind of midget. And they could have some inside info from Todd that he could still be growing.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013

I'd love to eat crow with this, but it doesn't look good guys. Sometimes you just have to be realistic.

Tootoo went in the 4th round too btw, to try and get a comparison.

Tootoo

00-01 60 gp 20 g 48 pts

Bertuzzi

12-13 43 gp 13 g 22 pts

He's a better skater and projected to grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad