News Article: Tying the Salary Cap to the Canadian Dollar Unfair

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
great so he was all smiles and handed the brown deal out willy nily just in time to play hard ball with Kopitar.

Willy nilly? Hardly.

If you think he's gonna give Kopitar a blank check for 8 years however, you're mistaken. Kopitar has been very underwhelming this season.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
great so he was all smiles and handed the brown deal out willy nily just in time to play hard ball with Kopitar.

So, Dean should make another mistake with Kopitar, just because he made a mistake with Brown?

Let's not forget that Kopitar never signed a "bridge deal" for his 2nd contract. Kopitar got PAID as soon as his ELC was done. The Kings have done right by Kopitar, and then some, every step of the way.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

The Brown deal was handed out when they were projecting around a 74M cap. Now it's looking like we might be lucky to see a 74M cap by the year after next. And those numbers were being projected to the 80M mark.
Yes things change but I think we can probably take deans cap board and blow it up. Since people saw that the CDN$ could fall but the bottom dropping out was not something even really thought of.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
So, Dean should make another mistake with Kopitar, just because he made a mistake with Brown?

Let's not forget that Kopitar never signed a "bridge deal" for his 2nd contract. Kopitar got PAID as soon as his ELC was done. The Kings have done right by Kopitar, and then some, every step of the way.

I agree, the org has done right by Kopitar every step of the way.

I have a problem, though, that I've already voiced a little, and that's that many seem to be prejudiced that DL is going to continue making mistakes from here on out. What would a non-mistake contract for Kopitar look like vs. what's realistic vs. what's a mistake? Curious to see what folks are thinking, because again, we may need to temper expectations.

The guy is the franchise, I'm still expecting 8x8. maybe 7x8.5, or 6x9. IMO, you give up years, its going to cost cap. And I agree with what Tsanuri said above about projections vs. reality. Players are going to have to swallow some of that (and I'll say that's unfortunate because the owners are probably smiling ear to ear, tbh).

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I agree, the org has done right by Kopitar every step of the way.

I have a problem, though, that I've already voiced a little, and that's that many seem to be prejudiced that DL is going to continue making mistakes from here on out. What would a non-mistake contract for Kopitar look like vs. what's realistic vs. what's a mistake? Curious to see what folks are thinking, because again, we may need to temper expectations.

The guy is the franchise, I'm still expecting 8x8. maybe 7x8.5, or 6x9. IMO, you give up years, its going to cost cap. And I agree with what Tsanuri said above about projections vs. reality. Players are going to have to swallow some of that (and I'll say that's unfortunate because the owners are probably smiling ear to ear, tbh).

On one extreme I would say 4 years, $36M. On the other extreme I would say 6 years $46M. I would not give any player that is approaching 30 years of age an 8 year deal.

I think the contracts with Brown, Richards, etc. have shown that 8-year deals are a bad idea.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
The GM's wanted deals to be Five or six years max in the CBA fight(closer to the NFL).

The NHLPA wanted 8 to 10.

Starting to see why

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The GM's wanted deals to be Five or six years max in the CBA fight(closer to the NFL).

The NHLPA wanted 8 to 10.

Starting to see why

It won't shock me in the least if the big battle during the next CBA negotiation is guaranteed no-cut contracts (players) vs non-guaranteed we can cut your ass contracts (owners).

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Why would you presume that Johansen at his age isn't going to get better, and that Kopitar at his age isn't going to see his game tail off during his next contract if it is 8 years in length?

Why do you presume I think that at all?

I said Johansen could become equal to Kopitar. Kopitar is very highly viewed and praised in the league, I've seen several lists ranking him as the third best centre in the league. that's pretty heady praise for Johansen.

As for Kopitar, could he tail off? Sure. He could also be Joe Thornton, a nearly point per game guy at 35 and going strong, something that would play very well into signing him for eight years.

Could an eight year deal bite us in the ass? Certainly. It could also play out very well. I get why you want a four year deal. I do too. I just don't see any reason whatsoever for Kopitar to sign for four years when he knows 20+ teams would be willing to toss him 6-8 year deals if he hits the market and as I said, he's the key cog to LA's offensive core, and is virtually impossible to replace. LA will give him eight years if he wants it and almost guaranteed he will.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
As we watch this disappearing act on the road, anyone still think Kopitar is getting an 8-year deal worth over $72M?

Arrhizal

May 4, 2012
Slovenia
I do. Since pretty much no-one on the team is playing to their contract value. Some people are just going to have to swallow his 9 or 9+ contract.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
As we watch this disappearing act on the road, anyone still think Kopitar is getting an 8-year deal worth over $72M?

I'm saying he's going to get it since a lot can change between now and his next contract, but I am saying if nothing changes between now and then he will be getting damn close to that at least.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
to bad owners just didn't show collective control

Even if they did I'm sure the PA would try and push the 'collusion' angle.

I find it amusing how the past two CBA's the league and a lot of the media felt the owners won, some even said the NHLPA get bent over in the one coming out of the year long lockout, yet as time goes by the PA makes out more than fine. I expect there will be another lockout in 2022 or whenever it is this CBA expires.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Even if they did I'm sure the PA would try and push the 'collusion' angle.

I find it amusing how the past two CBA's the league and a lot of the media felt the owners won, some even said the NHLPA get bent over in the one coming out of the year long lockout, yet as time goes by the PA makes out more than fine. I expect there will be another lockout in 2022 or whenever it is this CBA expires.

The owners did win. It would have been a lot worse had they not won. Had the owners not won the last CBA battle you would see some players demanding and getting 10-12 year contracts with Bettman being the sole arbiter on whether or not a contract was circumventing the cap.

Up next: the end of guaranteed contracts. Bank on it. Every lockout the NHL owners take a step closer to duplicating what the NFL has, and I am fine with that.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I'm saying he's going to get it since a lot can change between now and his next contract, but I am saying if nothing changes between now and then he will be getting damn close to that at least.

If nothing changes including his play, he won't be getting it from Dean.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Do you have him on the phone?

No, but I think others here would agree that I have been fairly successful at reading the tea leaves in Dean's cup in the past. I have had a few one-on-one conversations with him in the past, so I think I understand him a little.

For instance, his remark about having to treat players more as commodities going forward after this Richards fiasco is telling.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
The owners did win. It would have been a lot worse had they not won. Had the owners not won the last CBA battle you would see some players demanding and getting 10-12 year contracts with Bettman being the sole arbiter on whether or not a contract was circumventing the cap.

Up next: the end of guaranteed contracts. Bank on it. Every lockout the NHL owners take a step closer to duplicating what the NFL has, and I am fine with that.

The owners didn't win. Just because it could have been worse doesn't mean they won. The players made out quite nicely too after the dust settled.

If nothing changes including his play, he won't be getting it from Dean.

If Anze is at all hardline about getting eight years, yes he will give it to him.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Kopitar could get Eight years, but it won't be for top dollar. You don't give Kopitar top dollar when he will most likely sign that extension at 29.

His agent is going to advise him not to sign an extension coming up due to a poor year, and the cap lowering.

if Kopitar has another average season, that will be down year+an average one.

You don't pay Toews/Kane money to a guy exiting his prime production years, and then give him eight years on the contract.

There would be a Kopitar thread two years after that extension.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Kopitar could get Eight years, but it won't be for top dollar. You don't give Kopitar top dollar when he will most likely sign that extension at 29.

His agent is going to advise him not to sign an extension coming up due to a poor year, and the cap lowering.

if Kopitar has another average season, that will be down year+an average one.

You don't pay Toews/Kane money to a guy exiting his prime production years, and then give him eight years on the contract.

There would be a Kopitar thread two years after that extension.

8x8 i could see

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad