News Article: Tying the Salary Cap to the Canadian Dollar Unfair

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
That's fine Kopitar's agent can point to Toews all he wants, and Dean will use Getzlaf and likely say that Kopitar is under him when it comes to regular season play. Anyone disagree with that?

I seriously doubt that Dean is going to pay up for a plus/minus on the minus side, and a 5 goal 5-on-5 performance during this regular season. After the Richards' situation I seriously doubt that Dean will be in the mood to hear, "Trust me Dean, I will work harder and do better."

Let's be honest here, Kopitar for whatever reason has floated through at least half of the games thus far during the regular season. Anyone disagree with that?

Now, how much do you want to pay for that type of performance?

Kopitar will have all of next season to come out flying in his contract expiration year. This year won't matter at all.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
And with this things get much worse. There was speculation if was being paid in US dollars. But appears to not be the case.
https://twitter.com/rwesthead/status/562995764108881920
Rogers’ $5.2B TV deal with NHL paid in CDN currency. That’s worth avg of US$389M with a 90¢ CDN dollar. A 75¢ dollar? Slips to $324M

Who thought that Rogers (A canadian company) would be paying for broadcast rights (in Canada) in USD?
This should surprise no one.
I have said it before and will again the salary cap is not tied to the Canadian dollar (as the thread title indidcates) it is tied to league revenues. League revenues are from both USA and Canada. The Canadian market place makes up 33% of NHL revenues. Is it surprising that Canadians pay in Canadian dollars? I would hope not.
When the Canadian dollar falls it should not surprise anyone, nor should anyone think it is "unfair".
As a fan of a cap team it sucks, but it is not unfair, unsurprising or anything more than very basic economics.

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
You can agree with me or not, I don't care. Nor did I ever say that you agreeing with me or disagreeing with me is what is slanting your post (not 'posts', I only referred to one post). If you can't notice you listed several negatives about Kopitar and not one positive in your post, then take up some reading comprehension lessons.

Additionally in your reply to my statement about you 'slanting' your post, I love how you ignored everything else to focus on that one word. Slant.

You don't want DL to sign Kopitar for $9 mill+ We get it. Rail against it all you want. It didn't stop DL from signing all the other guys and he won't stop at the teams best forward. And he won't regret signing Kopitar at $9 million to $9.5 million (the numbers I have suggested) if he doesn't regret signing Brown to his extension. It's funny how Kopitar getting $9 mill-plus is a huge red flag for some posters here when he leads the team in scoring every year and in what is arguably his worst offensive season in some time he's still on pace for 66 points (for comparisions sake, the season before signing his extension, Getzlaf had 57 points in 82 games, in a much more offensive system, so by comparision and inflation, Kopitar should get more). Yet Brown can be on pace for 31 points, which is actually an improvement on last year, and no one seems to bat an eye?

Brown is by far a worse bang for the buck. We should turn our cheek to Kopitar at $9 mill+ but Brown at $5.875 mill cap hit is ok?

You can let Kopitar walk, and with him you let our offense crumble because he is the key cog. Reference the 70's line all you want, they have done virtually **** all since the playoffs and the first month of this season. Kopitar is the cornerstone of our offense and good luck replacing him. If you happen to find someone like him in free agency, it'll cost $9 million-plus anyway to get him, and guys like that are rarely ever available for trade. The last likely was Joe Thornton a decade ago.

Kopitar has averaged 27 goals and 74 points over an 82 game season in his career and will have just turned 28 when next season begins. He has posted 60 points in 70 playoff games and in the Kings two cup runs he has 13 goals and 46 points in 46 games. He is exactly the type of guy I give $9 to $9.5 million per season to without even thinking twice about it.

Of course Lombardi is going to regret Brown's contract down the line, if he doesn't already.

Never said Kopitar would be easy to replace. Just said that with all of the data that is now available, he shouldn't give him $72M over 8 years. Kopitar would be 37 years of age when he would be finishing an 8-year deal with the Kings, if that's what he gets.

If I was going to look to replace Kopitar in via the UFA route, I would look to a player like Ryan Johansen, and yes he would be worth the money. He will be 25 years of age when his next deal with Columbus is up. That's the kind of player you give the big 8-year contract to, not Kopitar.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Who thought that Rogers (A canadian company) would be paying for broadcast rights (in Canada) in USD?
I have said it before and will again the salary cap is not tied to the Canadian dollar (as the thread title indidcates) it is tied to league revenues. League revenues are from both USA and Canada. The Canadian market place makes up 33% of NHL revenues. Is it surprising that Canadians pay in Canadian dollars? I would hope not.
When the Canadian dollar falls it should not surprise anyone, nor should anyone think it is "unfair".
As a fan of a cap team it sucks, but it is not unfair, unsurprising or anything more than very basic economics.

In the future all cap calculations and contract payments will be made in ounces of gold, tulips, or Google stock whichever is more richly valued at the time payment is made.

The most important man in any organization will be capologists and they will have a staff and their own draft to pick underlings that are experts in the value of said commodities.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

There has been much speculation that the deal was in US dollars just because that is what the league operates in. I personally thought it was strange but could see it as to why certain groups got out being the NHL maybe wanted it in US dollars.
As to your other part I said the exact thing earlier in this thread.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
There has been much speculation that the deal was in US dollars just because that is what the league operates in. I personally thought it was strange but could see it as to why certain groups got out being the NHL maybe wanted it in US dollars.
As to your other part I said the exact thing earlier in this thread.

I wish the TV deal was in USD.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
The CDN dollar was not going to stay that high forever, the NHL had to know that.

Which is why I'm sure the rumors were there. It gave much certainty to the cap.
And the real interesting part will be what the players end up doing when the final totals come in. Much of the TV money this year I think was paid in advance as well as much of the season ticket money. But the league uses a average of what the market does for the season to figure the total revenue. Meaning much of the revenue earned could have been at the higher dollar but figured at a much lower figure.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Of course Lombardi is going to regret Brown's contract down the line, if he doesn't already.

Never said Kopitar would be easy to replace. Just said that with all of the data that is now available, he shouldn't give him $72M over 8 years. Kopitar would be 37 years of age when he would be finishing an 8-year deal with the Kings, if that's what he gets.

If I was going to look to replace Kopitar in via the UFA route, I would look to a player like Ryan Johansen, and yes he would be worth the money. He will be 25 years of age when his next deal with Columbus is up. That's the kind of player you give the big 8-year contract to, not Kopitar.

Along with five 1st round draft picks as compensation. Brilliant move.

Captain Mittens*

We should form a hippie drum circle and have a deep discussion about what we can all do to raise the value of the Canadian Dollar

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
We should form a hippie drum circle and have a deep discussion about what we can all do to raise the value of the Canadian Dollar

I saw this documentary called South Park that had something to do with Canada needing/wanting more money. They went on strike and demanded that they get some serious money from the internet. I think it was a dramatization but it was chillingly close to real life. Did I mention it was animated? It was animated. We could all by naniamo bars. Pour gravy on fries? By that box set of Corner Gas that you've always wanted? Lots of ways to save Canada from themselves.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It's quite simple pay $4 a gallon for gas.

Um yeah, pretty sure my daughter who commutes around 100 miles a day round trip, as many Southern Californians do, doesn't mind seeing NHL players get less money.

GMs and their contracts guys should have planned ahead a little. Dean has made some not too great deals in the last couple of seasons.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Along with five 1st round draft picks as compensation. Brilliant move.

...and yet it would still be a better move than giving Kopitar 8 years, and $72M.

I'm not necessarily opposed to signing Kopitar for $9M a season, if it's just for 4 years.

Captain Mittens*

I saw this documentary called South Park that had something to do with Canada needing/wanting more money. They went on strike and demanded that they get some serious money from the internet. I think it was a dramatization but it was chillingly close to real life. Did I mention it was animated? It was animated. We could all by naniamo bars. Pour gravy on fries? By that box set of Corner Gas that you've always wanted? Lots of ways to save Canada from themselves.

What the hell is Corner Gas?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Um yeah, pretty sure my daughter who commutes around 100 miles a day round trip, as many Southern Californians do, doesn't mind seeing NHL players get less money.

GMs and their contracts guys should have planned ahead a little. Dean has made some not too great deals in the last couple of seasons.

At some point, there's only so much planning ahead you can do. How many years did people make fun of Lombardi's love of Cap Space and how he never scored a goal?

Yeah, is Brown's contract not great for example? Sure, but he signed it after having a great 2012 playoff, and before his offensive numbers fell over a cliff.

Is there a GM that manages the cap perfectly, every year, and always gets rid of the right guy at the right time, and always gets the right guy at the right time? No, because it's probably pretty close to impossible. It's like the draft. If you get 2 out of 7 picks right, you've done great.

Chain

Feb 2, 2014
Canadian Sidcom about a small town in Saskatchewan.
If you're from a small town you would probably find it funny

I like Corner Gas. Republic of Doyle too. Didnt realize how many Canadian tv shows I watched growing up (Edison Twins & Danger Bay) until a few years ago.

I actually think if the cap is going to have growth issues, this point before resigning so many players is a better time for us than say 2 years after we resign a lot of these guys.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
...and yet it would still be a better move than giving Kopitar 8 years, and $72M.

I'm not necessarily opposed to signing Kopitar for $9M a season, if it's just for 4 years.

No. No it isn't. Kopitar is proven, he fits in well with the system and the team and is committed to the Kings. Johansen is a nice player, but he's likely to be at best equal to Kopitar overall, so why would you not stick with the guy who has proven he can do well in this system under this coach and is a winner in the playoffs? Nevermind tossing away the next five years of your teams future 1sts.

What the hell is Corner Gas?

It's like Seinfeld for rural bumpkins. You'd love it, I did.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
No. No it isn't. Kopitar is proven, he fits in well with the system and the team and is committed to the Kings. Johansen is a nice player, but he's likely to be at best equal to Kopitar overall, so why would you not stick with the guy who has proven he can do well in this system under this coach and is a winner in the playoffs? Nevermind tossing away the next five years of your teams future 1sts.

Why would you presume that Johansen at his age isn't going to get better, and that Kopitar at his age isn't going to see his game tail off during his next contract if it is 8 years in length?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad