Confirmed with Link: Ty Ronning signs ELC with Rangers

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The guy is clearly talking about difficulty in projecting how numbers translate from European leagues and NCAA. Which is faulty in that no league offers a guarantee that production will translate.

He's not saying good players can't come from Europe or college, so can we stop this "argument" and move on?

Reactions: Kakko Schmakko

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The guy is clearly talking about difficulty in projecting how numbers translate from European leagues and NCAA. Which is faulty in that no league offers a guarantee that production will translate.

He's not saying good players can't come from Europe or college, so can we stop this "argument" and move on?

This is it. But that's not what he said

Reactions: UnSandvich

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017

"Most of them are in pro European leagues or college which doesnt lead to success"

word. for. word.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This is it. But that's not what he said

"Most of them are in pro European leagues or college which doesnt lead to success"

word. for. word.

"Meaning you can't tell how good a prospect will by him playing n Europe or College. He can do amazing in those leagues and schools and do nothing in the AHL and be a bust"

"Just like players who do well in the AHL and cant do anything to in the NHL. Cant judge a prospect until he is playing in pro hockey in my opinion."

I think it's clear what his initial intent was. Either way that's the stuff to ignore, not waste keystrokes on.

But who am I to tell anyone what to debate? Have at it, I suppose.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Nothing is guaranteed until the player is producing in the NHL.

f52f87a0b7188ae73f746d6647a1ca2c.gif

Reactions: Barnaby and nyr2k2

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Two summers ago we took our two oldest grandchildren on a family friendly tour of the Canadian Rockies. I wore my Rangers cap every day and sometimes a Rangers shirt. The tour bus driver was a big hockey fan and during breaks we often chatted.

One morning while we were in Jasper I walked out to the bus. The bus driver was talking to another bus driver for the same tour company but a different tour. The other bus driver was wearing a light jacket that said Vancouver but I couldn't read what else his jacket said. When he saw me he gave me a big smile and asked if he could take a picture of me in my Rangers cap and shirt. It turns out the bus driver was the bus driver for the Vancouver Giants and he wanted to text the picture of me to Ty Ronning. We had a chat about Ronning and he couldn't have been more positive about him. He said Ronning was one of the nicest kids he had ever dealt with, a real team leader, a player every other player looked up to. Unfortunately Ty did not respond immediately and we had to leave for our tour so I never heard whether Ty responded.

Hearing the bus driver rave about Running as a person, I became a big fan and hoped he could beat the odds of being a seventh round pick make it in the NHL. Unfortunately the results so far are not encouraging.

Looking forward to reading your article.

The series of prospect interviews is terrific.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
maybe he'll be a late bloomer a la Jonathan Marchessault which means it will happen with another team.
It's possible, but the list of forwards who spent any significant amount of time in the ECHL at age 22 who went on to NHL careers is pretty slim.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It's possible, but the list of forwards who spent any significant amount of time in the ECHL at age 22 who went on to NHL careers is pretty slim.

While this is true, the ECHL is different these days than it was in the past. It's still an uphill battle going from the ECHL to the NHL though. I'm sure people who follow that league more closely can confirm/deny this but I've heard from different people that it's more and more moving away from the physical style it once was known for and more focusing on skilled hockey.

I still don't see Ronning making the team for us simply because of how many prospects we have that he has to compete with. It's unfortunate because he's such a likeable kid

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
While this is true, the ECHL is different these days than it was in the past. It's still an uphill battle going from the ECHL to the NHL though. I'm sure people who follow that league more closely can confirm/deny this but I've heard from different people that it's more and more moving away from the physical style it once was known for and more focusing on skilled hockey.

I still don't see Ronning making the team for us simply because of how many prospects we have that he has to compete with. It's unfortunate because he's such a likeable kid

He has/had one shot to make the show: be a Hell on the forecheck F1 to replace Fast/a smaller version of Grabner.

Funny that Ronning’s best year in junior wasn’t even close to his Dad’s worst.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

It's true that the ECHL is evolving, much like NCAA hockey and the entire US program. As the US and other foreign countries churn out more talent, there will be more talent at all levels in the US--from the NHL on down. While some people think there are too many teams in the NHL and it's a watered down product, I think the opposite is true: there is more talent in the League than ever. That trickles down, of course.

Anyway, the ECHL is still not a "good" league when speaking in the context of places for legitimate, non-goalie prospects to play. If you get stuck down there for multiple years, it's most likely because you're just not good enough to hack it in the AHL. Hartford could have really used another scorer these past couple seasons, so it's not as if there wasn't a need for someone like Ronning. When given the opportunity, he just couldn't do anything with it.

Reactions: egelband

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
He’s a guy I was really pulling for to make it... doesn’t seem likely that he will. Hopefully he can carve out a nice career in Europe or something.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Small, skilled ... not big/strong enough and not enough space in the pro game. These guys seldom pan out here... Michael St Croix syndrome.
Almost strong enough, but not really skilled enough to be a complete player, yet still produce. His final year of junior he stopped being a team player to get the goals so the Rangers would qualify him.

Should be a 40pt guy in Liiga.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad