98.5 The Sports Hub Ty Anderson on Bruins free agency

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
we need to get a rw for bergeron and marchand. or put krejci in between march and pasta and find a rw for bergeron.

for next year i dont wanna see krejci without a scoring rw and i dont wanna see that 63 37 88 line ever again.

Can't say that i never want to see that line again but Cassidy's lack of imagination was very discouraging. He was too predictable/stubborn in his lines in the finals. I would hope that he learned quite a bit from the experience. IMO the Bruins front office goes over EVERY aspect of the team, players, coaching, etc etc etc etc. I'm certain that there will be or has been meetings discussing this. The B's were lucky that the teams that they were snakebit by were eliminated and taken out of their paths but maybe next year they'll have gained the confidence from this year where Tampa Bay and Washington won't have the same spell on the B's as they had in the past. Coupled with Cassidy's and the players experience in the finals I have high hopes that the same mistakes won't be made so readily again.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
we need to get a rw for bergeron and marchand. or put krejci in between march and pasta and find a rw for bergeron.

for next year i dont wanna see krejci without a scoring rw and i dont wanna see that 63 37 88 line ever again.

You don't want to see one of the best lines in hockey together ever again? I'm not going to agree with such a dramatic take. All three were dealing with injuries which factors into why their games weren't A+. They still produced as followed:

Marchand = 23P/24GP -- 0.96 PPG
Pastrnak = 19P/24GP -- 0.79 PPG
Bergeron = 17P/24GP -- 0.71 PPG

That production is legitimate. It's scary that they produced this well while dealing with injuries. Find Krejci a legitimate RW since he hasn't had one in years. I'm all for trying different combinations, but the MBP line works too well together when healthy to break it up.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
You don't want to see one of the best lines in hockey together ever again? I'm not going to agree with such a dramatic take. All three were dealing with injuries which factors into why their games weren't A+. They still produced as followed:

Marchand = 23P/24GP -- 0.96 PPG
Pastrnak = 19P/24GP -- 0.79 PPG
Bergeron = 17P/24GP -- 0.71 PPG

That production is legitimate. It's scary that they produced this well while dealing with injuries. Find Krejci a legitimate RW since he hasn't had one in years. I'm all for trying different combinations, but the MBP line works too well together when healthy to break it up.

Much of that production came on the powerplay. 12 of Marchand's 23 points, 9 of Patrnak's 19 points, and 10 of Bergeron's 17 points. That's more than half their production.

That line is excellent on the powerplay, but they need to be better 5-on-5.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins’ offseason business hits an early snag

If Don Sweeney sounded a bit frustrated, he certainly wasn’t alone among his NHL general manager counterparts.

“Very prominently,” the Bruins’ GM said Friday, when asked how his three restricted free agents played into his July 1 strategy. “It was a reason we tried to be in front of things.”

Said another way: The Bruins tried to get deals done with Charlie McAvoy, Brandon Carlo, and Danton Heinen early, so they would be able to participate in the signing and trading bonanza that sizzles now, and will explode come Monday, when free agency begins. Sweeney and the players’ camps have been talking for “well over a year,” he noted.

But no dice, and Sweeney enters the weekend unsure how he will spend approximately $12 million in cap space. As is their right — and the trend across the league, with a loaded class of young players slow to sign their second contracts — Boston’s three big RFAs are waiting.

“There’s no timeline to find a deal,” Sweeney said. “They’ll be playing for Boston at some point in time this year, prior to Dec. 1 [the deadline for RFAs to sign, or sit out the season]. That’s the only real deadline we face. We’ll be at it. We’ve been at it with those guys.”

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Bruins’ offseason business hits an early snag

If Don Sweeney sounded a bit frustrated, he certainly wasn’t alone among his NHL general manager counterparts.

“Very prominently,” the Bruins’ GM said Friday, when asked how his three restricted free agents played into his July 1 strategy. “It was a reason we tried to be in front of things.”

Said another way: The Bruins tried to get deals done with Charlie McAvoy, Brandon Carlo, and Danton Heinen early, so they would be able to participate in the signing and trading bonanza that sizzles now, and will explode come Monday, when free agency begins. Sweeney and the players’ camps have been talking for “well over a year,” he noted.

But no dice, and Sweeney enters the weekend unsure how he will spend approximately $12 million in cap space. As is their right — and the trend across the league, with a loaded class of young players slow to sign their second contracts — Boston’s three big RFAs are waiting.

“There’s no timeline to find a deal,” Sweeney said. “They’ll be playing for Boston at some point in time this year, prior to Dec. 1 [the deadline for RFAs to sign, or sit out the season]. That’s the only real deadline we face. We’ll be at it. We’ve been at it with those guys.”
Something needs to change with RFAs. This is becoming a significant problem. They have UFA to look forward to.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
What happened to the rumor that a deal with Carlo was all but done before the playoffs?

Must have been a nice one in managements favor if he isn't interested anymore after the finals run.

Heinens playoff performance has been so poor that I have no issues if we really dig our heels in and play hard ball.

Reactions: bbfan419

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
McAvoy & Carlo hold out & no Moore or Miller to start

Chara- Clifton
Krug- Vaakanainen
Grzelcyk - Kampfer
Lauzon
Zboril

For 1/3 season that will be fun

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
There's no guarantees in sports.

One freak injury and your earning potential for yourself and your family is gone.

I don't have any issues with a person looking to secure themselves financially.
This x100. As fans it's tough to look through the players' eyes like this but we cannot seriously blame these guys for wanting to ensure they make their money now when they are fully healthy. One freak accident and they blow a knee out or a couple concussions and their future earning potential is in serious jeopardy.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
You can't blame the players for getting what is out there. It is the GMs/Owners that have created this problem, and they will have to fix it. I don't feel too bad for the players though- securing themselves and their families is a nice thing, but even the NHL minimum guy on a 3 year deal makes more than I do in 15, so I am not exactly crying for them:nopity:

easton117

Nov 11, 2017

Chara- Clifton
Krug- Vaakanainen
Grzelcyk - Kampfer
Lauzon
Zboril

Carlo I can’t read at all. If he and his agent are thinking he’s in the 5+ million range per then they are out to lunch. Anything under that shouldn’t be all that difficult to figure out.

Any rumours about what McAvoy’s camp are asking? I haven’t seen one at all. Must be north of 6.5-7 million.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Carlo I can’t read at all. If he and his agent are thinking he’s in the 5+ million range per then they are out to lunch. Anything under that shouldn’t be all that difficult to figure out.

Any rumours about what McAvoy’s camp are asking? I haven’t seen one at all. Must be north of 6.5-7 million.

You have to wonder if it is one player that is holding it all up (McAvoy?) in that Sweeney has to know what he is working with AND do what he can in the FA market. If McAvoy, say, is being sticky about his demands, it could have a ripple effect over what is available for Carlo and Heinen in addition to money for signings. :dunno:

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Sadly much bigger for next year.

It is NOT a given the B's will be a Top 3 team in the Atlantic next year - Montreal didn't miss by much and Florida is expected to go all in next week.

Look - Every Bruins player knows that the Cup was in TD Garden and all they had to do was win the last game at home :cry: - The Stanley Cup Final hangover exists but it is worse for the team that is the loser.

The goal for next season is to make the playoffs PERIOD - Don't worry about home ice as that is now irrelevant in today's NHL

I agree with everything you say except I believe it is worse for the winner . The partying and celebrating cuts further in to work out time for many . You also have a tiny bit of a content feeling I am sure .

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
There's no guarantees in sports.

One freak injury and your earning potential for yourself and your family is gone.

I don't have any issues with a person looking to secure themselves financially.

These RFAs holding everything up are bickering over millions. They are fine. It's one thing for McAvoy or Marner etc as superstars who bring in fans.

It is quite another if it is Heinen and Carlo types of the NHL. Know their place and take advantage of the UFA market when their time comes.

Their families will be just fine.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Chara- Clifton
Krug- Vaakanainen
Grzelcyk - Kampfer
Lauzon
Zboril

Is the holdout similar to Krug and Smiths ‘convenient’ one when we were in cap hell Re Iggy? Ie no room due to UFA signings until Moore and Miller hit LTIR and clear up 5 mil?

Closest we’ve gotten to a holdout was Pasta and I thought him missing camp would be catastrophic for him but I think McAvoy and Carlo would be fine just need 20 games to get up to speed.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
These RFAs holding everything up are bickering over millions. They are fine. It's one thing for McAvoy or Marner etc.

It is quite another if it is Heinen and Carlo types of the NHL. Know their place and take advantage of the UFA market when their time comes.

Their families will be just fine.

Mcavoy and Marner if healthy are going to make their millions one way or another. They are top end players.

Carlos and Heinens are the ones that should be pushing harder for every dollar. They are the ones who's skillsets aren't as unique. There's plenty of Heinens or Carlos in the league.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Logic

Carlo Bridge deal

Why ? Has not shown offense - yet

Need the lower number right now

3/10-12

McAvoy open to long or short

3/15 or 6/42-45

Krug 6/40

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Logic

Carlo Bridge deal

Why ? Has not shown offense - yet

Need the lower number right now

3/10-12

McAvoy open to long or short

3/15 or 6/42-45

Krug 6/40
I’d be down with either McAvoy deal.

Krug I’m still on the fence with. Not positive I want to see an LD with him and Grizz longyerm

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Mcavoy and Marner if healthy are going to make their millions one way or another. They are top end players.

Carlos and Heinens are the ones that should be pushing harder for every dollar. They are the ones who's skillsets aren't as unique. There's plenty of Heinens or Carlos in the league.
Heinen and Carlo will still make millions.

I will not feign sympathy for the players (or the owners) as they drive this league to yet another lock out.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

I will not feign sympathy for the players (or the owners) as they drive this league to yet another lock out.

I hope Bettman doesn't pick a fight over the Milan Olympics the players are gonna want to go to that one.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I hope Bettman doesn't pick a fight over the Milan Olympics the players are gonna want to go to that one.

I don't think they players will be willing to go into a prolonged labor fight over the Olympics. They happen every four years and only effect a small portion of players. The vast majority of guys are not going to be willing to lose paychecks over it

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Marner /McAvoy millions >>>Carlo/Heinen.

I don't think anyone is asking for sympathy. This is just the way the system works. Unless someone can come up with a better one, you just need to get used to it.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Marner /McAvoy millions >>>Carlo/Heinen.

I don't think anyone is asking for sympathy. This is just the way the system works. Unless someone can come up with a better one, you just need to get used to it.

It will take GMs with the backing of owners to change this state of affairs. Someone or probably several someones are going to have to bite the bullet and lose out on some players in order to reign it in. Maybe it starts with the UFAs and the massive contracts and term and leaves teams more room to sign their RFAs in their prime years? Whatever happens the system is not sustainable long-term if you want a quality league that fans will pay to watch. No one wants to see AHL teams with 5 or 6 really good/great NHL players on them. I imagine the NHLPA, whose rank and file are the journeyman middle six, bottom four types that are going to be hurt the most by this trend, will have to take a hand as well

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad