98.5 The Sports Hub Ty Anderson on Bruins free agency

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Marner /McAvoy millions >>>Carlo/Heinen.

I don't think anyone is asking for sympathy. This is just the way the system works. Unless someone can come up with a better one, you just need to get used to it.

The annoying part is how out of hand it has gotten this past year or so. RFAs used to take respectable bridge deals and move on. Now it's a power struggle that hurts the league.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
The annoying part is how out of hand it has gotten this past year or so. RFAs used to take respectable bridge deals and move on. Now it's a power struggle that hurts the league.

If the team and the RFA player are too far apart by a a certain date in the offseason, there should be an unbiased external arbitrator who comes in and makes a final offer that either the player accepts or sits out.

Player runs the risk of being forced to sign a deal that may be less than what the team was offering. Team runs the risk of having their player get a deal that's more than what they wanted to pay. Keeps the teams from low balling.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
If the team and the RFA player are too far apart by a a certain date in the offseason, there should be an unbiased external arbitrator who comes in and makes a final offer that either the player accepts or sits out.

Player runs the risk of being forced to sign a deal that may be less than what the team was offering. Team runs the risk of having their player get a deal that's more than what they wanted to pay. Keeps the teams from low balling.
I’ve heard Ray Ferarro talk about this. How rfa’s off their entry level deal don’t have arb rights which was supposed to be a win for the owners. Instead it has limited their ability to negotiate.

In hindsight, seems kinda silly the owners wouldn’t have pushed for a team option after the entry level term was up. Maybe they did I don’t remember. Or maybe they thought they wouldn’t need it as players had always signed bridge deals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad