TSN: Two years after Phaneuf trade, Leafs content to keep growing without a captain

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
If it was to be Rielly he would have been named Captain already.

Mathews will be the captain as soon as he commits to the Leafs long term. I can see Marleau as a A as it allows time for one of other youngsters to cement their game before given an A.

I can see us bringing back Bozak on a 3 year deal at 3.25 a year as he is a quality 3 line center and he retains an A.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
They all know who the leader of the team is.

Freddy called out the players and the coaches. Marleau told them in Ottawa it was high time to put their big boy pants on. Hainsey coaches the team on the ice every night. But everyone in the room turns and listens when Auston Matthews speaks - I'm not in there but you can see it being true.

The C will be on his chest when the Leafs muscle their way through a 7 game series. Maybe as early as next October.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Worst case I can see Rielly still wearing an A as one of the alternate captains.

Chris Johnston said on the dangle podcast that this is already matthews's team. he'll be the captain with rielly and someone else wearing the A's.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
If it was to be Rielly he would have been named Captain already.

Mathews will be the captain as soon as he commits to the Leafs long term. I can see Marleau as a A as it allows time for one of other youngsters to cement their game before given an A.

I can see us bringing back Bozak on a 3 year deal at 3.25 a year as he is a quality 3 line center and he retains an A.

How dare you suggest this! The Bozak haters aren't going to like you any more. LOL

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Not sure if this has been stated, but look at a player like hainsey has done for our d. Dion should have been able to be that steady force that can play anywhere in the lineup like hainsey is.. Makes me think Dion was and is very overrated. I always thought he took to much slack, but seeing what Hainsey has done for this team in such a short time I am glad he is gone. When I watch Dion now he looks like a bottom pairing guy a good 5-6 guy, but gets paid like a top pairing guy.

ehh, despite the occasional boneheaded plays and a wildly inaccurate shot, Dion is a solid second pairing dman. I'd be happy to have him on the Leafs if the Sens retained $2-3m/year. He can be physical and log a lot of minutes.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Glad we were able to move his caphit, but what a waste of an asset. Nonis substantially hampered this team with the Phaneuf, Kessel, and Lupul extensions, plus the Clarkson signing.

Should have sold Phaneuf, Kessel, and Lupul off after 2012, when they were all pending UFAs with good value, and we had been a bottom 10 team in the league for 5+ years at that point.

I still get angry when I hear of Clarkson.

Hell, I get mad when I have to drive by Mimico because it evokes thoughts of Clarkson.

Reactions: Macallan18

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Chris Johnston said on the dangle podcast that this is already matthews's team. he'll be the captain with rielly and someone else wearing the A's.

Not to doubt, but what is that based on?
Unlike the Oilers and McDavid, there seem to be several other large personalities in the locker room.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Perhaps the Leafs can break the mould and do something no team has done before and simply not have a captain? not because there are no candidates but because of choice?

When you think about it having a player with a "C" on his chest isn't a requirement for any team and it fits with the philosophy that Lou Lamoriello has...about representing the crest on the front of the jersey and what it stands for rather than the name on the back or any letter and how no one player is bigger than the team.

Leafs haven't had a captain for a while now and I'm pretty sure there isn't a lack of guys standing up in the dressing room to say some words here and there. It also has the effect of shielding all the players from being singled out during rough times and having one player deal with additional pressure from the media.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad