TSN: Two years after Phaneuf trade, Leafs content to keep growing without a captain

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
With the exception of last season Phaneuf will have missed the playoffs 2/3 seasons he has been with the Senators. Plus the current Senators roster looks like the Maple Leafs roster circa 2015-2016 when they finished last place overall.
this isn't even close to true. the 2015-2016 leafs had no top line forward, a bunch of bottom-6 players in the lineup, a top-4 dman in reilly, a bunch of bottom pair dmen, and two medicore goalies. ottawa at least has a 2 top line forwards and a #1 dman.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
this isn't even close to true. the 2015-2016 leafs had no top line forward, a bunch of bottom-6 players in the lineup, a top-4 dman in reilly, a bunch of bottom pair dmen, and two medicore goalies. ottawa at least has a 2 top line forwards and a #1 dman.
I'm just comparing them in terms of where they are in the overall standings. Plus one could say they are more of a disappointment compared to the 2015-2016 Maple Leafs, because they were talked about as being a Stanley Cup contender and how they went to Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Final and how they lost in double overtime.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Hahahaha oh my god.

Apparently we're the hellhole, sitting top ten league wide, while Ottawa is the definition of a tire fire. Makes sense.

Honestly if you hate the Leafs so much go cheer for another team, please.
hellhole as in being scrutinized because he was the captain

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think both teams got what they wanted and the player is happy.
I know Dion was Captain and all but the media in TO were hounding him and have showed no respect. Still remember that TSN ticker about Lupol, Dion and his wife.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
hellhole as in being scrutinized because he was the captain
My bad, I thought you were referring to the city/team.

He probably did take some unwarranted shit, but he's a professional, and was the captain of the Maple Leafs, who sucked.. so I mean it was kind of expected

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think both teams got what they wanted and the player is happy.
I know Dion was Captain and all but the media in TO were hounding him and have showed no respect. Still remember that TSN ticker about Lupol, Dion and his wife.
To be fair that comment was a Tweet from some random person and by mistake TSN let on air with all the other #TradeCentre comments.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
We took on some of Ottawa's garbage to avoid that! :D
It was still worth it taking on Greening, Cowen and Michalek for the short term compared to having Phaneuf and his contract, along with not having to retain any of his salary. Remember all those who said to trade him that the Leafs would need to retain some of it.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Again I know why he went and don’t regret it. 2 cups later I think there’s a whole lot more respect around here for Kessel. A unique player and skill set. Never the lead dog but a hell of a support.
Yeah which is why he excelled on their second and third lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->