TSN: Two years after Phaneuf trade, Leafs content to keep growing without a captain

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Last time, management gave Phaneuf the captaincy after 30ish games. That didn’t work out well.

The Leafs captaincy is a historic thing (with a couple blunders) so it makes sense to ensure whoever wears it next deserves it, and will be around for a long time.

I can see the Leafs trying to sign Matthews to a 8 year deal in July, and announcing his captaincy at the same time

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Would we have traded Phaneuf if he was a RHD, was making $5mil a year, and not erroneously anointed Captain?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Last time, management gave Phaneuf the captaincy after 30ish games. That didn’t work out well.

The Leafs captaincy is a historic thing (with a couple blunders) so it makes sense to ensure whoever wears it next deserves it, and will be around for a long time.

I can see the Leafs trying to sign Matthews to a 8 year deal in July, and announcing his captaincy at the same time

I know Matthews is "The Guy" and think he's definitely most likely, but I think Rielly would be a good candidate as well. Bit older, has seen two very different cultures, does everything "the right way," is a fitness nut, gets along well with the other pillars of the team (vacationed this year with Matthews and Andersen), and is good enough on the ice to back everything up.

Really I'm just in it for the Captain Morgan meme-terial.

Reactions: MattySnipes

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I know Matthews is "The Guy" and think he's definitely most likely, but I think Rielly would be a good candidate as well. Bit older, has seen two very different cultures, does everything "the right way," is a fitness nut, gets along well with the other pillars of the team (vacationed this year with Matthews and Andersen), and is good enough on the ice to back everything up.

Really I'm just in it for the Captain Morgan meme-terial.
Worst case I can see Rielly still wearing an A as one of the alternate captains.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Probably don't want to go too much longer without naming a captain, but it's important enough to not name one just for the sake of it. Still believe it will be Matthews and I agree with Cor about giving him the C when he signs his new (hopefully max term) deal.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
That trade was definitely one where you take a step back but take so many steps forward. Franchise changing.

I've been saying for a long time Rielly should be captain, but Matthews is obviously a great choice as well and makes sense.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

This doesn't seem at all unlikely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad