Proposal: Two Mid-Late 1st Round Picks Together (2020)

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Toronto and Kapanen would be a good target. They should be looking at cap space to get a Tanev, Brodie or Hamonic in free agency or to work a deal for a Manson type

Kapanen isn't the forward the Leafs should be looking to clear from their payroll...

Oct 18, 2011
Devils have absolutely no need to be acquiring any expiring deals that arent RFA or any ‘veteran’ at all really, not with 1st round picks. We can sign free agents.

Devils need young talent - though I think were underestimating what two 1sts can get if all youre suggesting is a 1-2 year experience player
New Jersey is one of the worst drafting teams in the league(15 years of evidence) it might be good for them to use those picks to acquire proven youngish talent

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
So you want the proven young player, while the other team get the draft picks to draft an unproven young player.
Sounds like a great plan
Sure lets ignore things like salary cap and draft capital, context is lame anyway

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
New Jersey is one of the worst drafting teams in the league(15 years of evidence) it might be good for them to use those picks to acquire proven youngish talent
So one of the worst drafting teams should... use the draft picks?

This is exactly what Im trying to avoid lol

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
If frozen cap land those that draft poorly and or trade their picks for rentals are going to be exposed really quick. Rangers trading 2 1's maybe can get if they think they are close enough (with Ed coming I might conclude wait one year and then go the D you need). Jersey trading 1's in that division I think is wrong plan.

But for sake of discussion bottom 2 1's and legit cheap player might get you into Johnny Hockey territory IF Flames go after Hall. Is player Severson or Bratt or Zacha or whomever? Feel free to discuss whom.

Reactions: Forge

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
ARI + VAN 2020 1sts + NJ 2021 2nd
for
Buchnevich, Strome + NYR + DAL 2020 3rds

fits OP immediate help, young, adds 2 3rds, currently has none
NY manages cap, banks picks

value:
buch = 2nd + significant add; Strome = 2nd + add.
Jersey 2nd is deferred, two 3rds are immediate

something like that

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I am unsure how terms of trades are affected given the expanded playoffs.

It appears the Arizona pick goes to NJ unless they are eliminated this week and win 1OA pick.

With Vancouver..is thus considered playoffs thus deferred to 2021 or do they need to advance a round?

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
for

value:

something like that
i wouldn't give up a first for the right to overpay RFA strome
i wouldn't give up a first for one additional year of buchnevich at 3.25
i wouldn't give up next years 2nd for 2 3rds this year

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
for

value:

something like that
Delusional lmfao

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

under Lou and Conte near the end of their tenure, yes they were quite bad

under Shero (and more specifically Paul Castron), they have been much better.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

It appears the Arizona pick goes to NJ unless they are eliminated this week and win 1OA pick.

With Vancouver..is thus considered playoffs thus deferred to 2021 or do they need to advance a round?

correct on Arizona. If they end up defeating Nashville, NJ gets their pick this year no matter what

on Vancouver, should they lose to Minnesota in this series, as it stands now NJ would NOT get their 2020 1st but instead their 2021 unprotected 1st. Though Friedman said something about NJ maybe trying to inquire with the league to get that changed, but who knows.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

You got it on the mark.

ARI pick is NJ unless 1.
VAN wins NJ gets pick. VAN loses 2021 1st.

Psycho Mantis

Jul 29, 2020
for

value:

something like that

Not a fan of either team so my input probably means nothing, but I’ll give my two cents.

I think if you had DeAngelo or Chytil somewhere in this proposal they would value it more. The deal would need to be tweaked of course.

It’s not fair to Strome, but people only see him as a product of Panarin. People will be hesitant to buy him because of that.

Buchnevich puts up good numbers. He is still young, but he may not be an attractive asset to some fans of a rebuilding franchise.

Edit: Even though my user name is FoxDie, I do not wish any harm to Adam Fox. It’s a reference to Metal Gear. Fox is a great player.

Last edited:

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
If Edmonton’s willing, trade one of those picks for Puljujarvi, and check the price of Gostisbehere in Philly.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If the Devils are moving those picks I actually think they could get some good players, especially if they're taking on a lot of salary.

We saw in another thread that the Blackhawks might have to dump Saad and Strome, and while they might not be the right value for New Jersey (and in Strome's case, the wrong player type) it is good proof that a lot of good players will be available if you have the cap.

I can say that from Columbus there is a decent chance that Josh Anderson and possibly David Savard will be available, I think they would both be solid mid-late 1st round value if they are re-signed as part of the deal.

Alternatively, the Devils could draft someone like Braden Schneider, who could play on an NHL third pair right now and has more second pair upside than a lot of people credit him with. He'd also fill a longstanding RHD shutdown need.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If the Leafs lay an egg in this series and elect to restructure by moving Marner Devils seem like one of the few teams that have the cap space to not send much money back, the futures to pay, and a the fit for him on the roster.

Most Leaf fans would hate it but ~11th (ARI) + 17th (VAN) seems like a good start.

Last edited:

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Devils have absolutely no need to be acquiring any expiring deals that arent RFA or any ‘veteran’ at all really, not with 1st round picks. We can sign free agents.

Devils need young talent - though I think were underestimating what two 1sts can get if all youre suggesting is a 1-2 year experience player
The value of a young NHL player is way more valuable than late first round picks. As you said it's a crap shoot. Why would a team give up a sure thing for that? The previous poster gave you the value and it's spot on

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
If the Leafs lay an egg in this series and elect to restructure by moving Marner Devils seem like one of the few teams that have the cap space to not send much money back, the futures to pay, and a the fit for him on the roster.

Most Leaf fans would hate it but ~11th (ARI) + 17th (VAN) seems like a good start.
Damon Severson could also be moved, whether in a deal for Marner or something else

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad