Proposal: Two Mid-Late 1st Round Picks Together (2020)

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
what can two mid-late 1st round picks packaged together get NJ in a trade? Maybe add a little more if need be

I personally have no desire to use either or on a prospect and feel NJ needs proven young talent, not more crapshoots in the 16-31 range that likely wont hit.

Absolutely no trade for a veteran will happen. Devils need young talent, preferably defenseman and scoring wingers

Edit: with the expansion draft coming, economic issues, stagnated cap, and next years draft having scouting issues - NJ’s time Is now to jump on a team who needs to do something

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
what can two mid-late 1st round picks get NJ in a trade? Maybe add a little more if need be

I personally have no desire to use either or on a prospect and feel NJ needs proven young talent, not more crapshoots in the 16-31 range that likely wont hit.

Absolutely no trade for a veteran will happen. Devils need young talent, preferably defenseman and scoring wingers

Probably a decent veteran who has a year left before UFA who you can hopefully re-sign or a younger player with two or three years of experience who has top 4 D or top 6 forward potential but hasn't reached it yet

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Probably a decent veteran who has a year left before UFA who you can hopefully re-sign or a younger player with two or three years of experience who has top 4 D or top 6 potential forward but hasn't reached it yet
Devils have absolutely no need to be acquiring any expiring deals that arent RFA or any ‘veteran’ at all really, not with 1st round picks. We can sign free agents.

Devils need young talent - though I think were underestimating what two 1sts can get if all youre suggesting is a 1-2 year experience player

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Devils have absolutely no need to be acquiring any expiring deals that arent RFA or any ‘veteran’ at all really, not with 1st round picks. We can sign free agents.

Devils need young talent - though I think were underestimating what two 1sts can get if all youre suggesting is a 1-2 year experience played

Oh my bad, didn't realize it was 2 picks packaged together. Obviously that would increase the value of player coming back.

Don't think GMs will want to move young productive guys who can reach certain roles for mid 1sts though.
An example of a 3rd line winger who has hit 35-40pts but could hit higher number with top 6 role.
Or that fringe #4 D who has shown glimpses of securing that role going forward.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Oh my bad, didn't realize it was 2 picks packaged together. Obviously that would increase the value of player coming back.

Don't think GMs will want to move young productive guys who can reach certain roles for mid 1sts though.
An example of a 3rd line winger who has hit 35-40pts but could hit higher number with top 6 role.
Or that fringe #4 D who has shown glimpses of securing that role going forward.
I edited the OP to reflect theyre packaged

I suppose I see the value in - next years draft being a shit fest with almost no live scouting the year prior, this draft is supposedly deep (not that I ever believe those comments), and with the cap being tight and expansion coming up - these are a lot of variables that Id assume increase the value coming back for NJ

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I edited the OP to reflect theyre packaged

I suppose I see the value in - next years draft being a shit fest with almost no live scouting the year prior, this draft is supposedly deep (not that I ever believe those comments), and with the cap being tight and expansion coming up - these are a lot of variables that Id assume increase the value coming back for NJ

Ya just searching for some recent trades of younger guys getting traded for one mid 1st.
Skjei went for a 1st that will be the lower pick out of CAR or TORs, he was about to turn 26 when traded.

Not a big list but two 1sts could open more doors.
Itd likely be cash strapped teams who can't afford to pay an RFA and would just draft replacements.
Not an everyday trade that happens to have some comparable to work with

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Your never going to like the answer. Players like your looking for dont really get traded for those kind of returns other than in very unique situations

Reactions: Billdo

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Your never going to like the answer. Players like your looking for dont really get traded for those kind of returns other than in very unique situations
Thats my point though - the situations for this and next off season are VERY unique

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

Agree. I think that it makes more sense to send the picks in different trades. I think the second first round pick in a package gets a big ding to it's value because as you said, the studs simply aren't getting moved and it's going to require a very special circumstance. But we do see JT Miller for a first type trades happen frequently, so you just look at the cap strapped teams and go after them.

Mid round first for Kapanen from Toronto maybe? Would Arizona trade Schmaltz for a first if it meant keeping Hall? There are players they'd obviously rather deal, but I don't know what all shakes out there and I'm not going to pretend to deep dive it.

Reactions: themelkman

Bond

May 10, 2012
Two mid late firsts is an awkward value. Seems more like a move a contender makes to acquire someone. Not too many teams will trade a young player with control worth two firsts. Probably better off packaging them separately for a few decent guys.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Toronto and Kapanen would be a good target. They should be looking at cap space to get a Tanev, Brodie or Hamonic in free agency or to work a deal for a Manson type

Reactions: Forge

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Two mid late firsts is an awkward value. Seems more like a move a contender makes to acquire someone. Not too many teams will trade a young player with control worth two firsts. Probably better off packaging them separately for a few decent guys.

I agree. A first in a flat cap League holds good value for a cash strapped club needing to make some room to manoeuvre. They should be easily able to add 2 good players with those picks.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Or they should maybe package both 1sts and try and move up in the draft. Maybe get them near a top 10 pick depending on how far VAN and ARI go.

Another two top 10ish picks will be fine with their current age group.
Trade their 2021 1st+ for a decent player that can contribute now while those 2020 1sts develop

Reactions: themelkman

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Or they should maybe package both 1sts and try and move up in the draft. Maybe get them near a top 10 pick depending on how far VAN and ARI go.

Another two top 10ish picks will be fine with their current age group.
Trade their 2021 1st+ for a decent player that can contribute now while those 2020 1sts develop

NJ has no business trading its own first until it climbs out of the basement.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
you want young talented players for those picks?

those kind of guys dont usually get moved for picks.
maybe its different with a flat cap

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Agree. I think that it makes more sense to send the picks in different trades. I think the second first round pick in a package gets a big ding to it's value because as you said, the studs simply aren't getting moved and it's going to require a very special circumstance. But we do see JT Miller for a first type trades happen frequently, so you just look at the cap strapped teams and go after them.

Mid round first for Kapanen from Toronto maybe? Would Arizona trade Schmaltz for a first if it meant keeping Hall? There are players they'd obviously rather deal, but I don't know what all shakes out there and I'm not going to pretend to deep dive it.

thats gonna be a no. Leafs only move Kapanen for a young dman. a mid 1st does nothing for them for a few years

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
I can tell you right now there is nobody on the Flyers that really fits your description. We have all our young core players signed for the next few years (some will need new contracts but we should be able to manage the cap even in a flat cap era) and aren't looking to any more steps backwards just to build for the future.

The only player we have that could be had via trade would be Ghost. He likely won't be protected in the expansion draft and we could lose him for nothing so we may be open to trading him. He's not worth two 1sts but one of your later 1sts is probably fair with us adding a 3rd or b level prospect.

Not really exciting but it's the best ypu could look to get from the Flyers

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
thats gonna be a no. Leafs only move Kapanen for a young dman. a mid 1st does nothing for them for a few years
2 mid 1sts for Kappanen is a kings ransom if you don’t trade Kappy for 2 1sts you are out to lunch.

My bad I see it’s just 1 1st

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

Fair. Honestly the players I mentioned are largely immaterial. Was more or less looking at a type. Youngish players who may be a bit blocked, but still productive. Close to .5 PPG at 15 minute types hoping they can take on more. Cash strapped teams being obvious targets

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
If the Zona pick ends up being 10 or 11.. I think about it for Kap. I’m big on Askarov

depends how confident TO is they will sign an RD with the cap space

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
If the Zona pick ends up being 10 or 11.. I think about it for Kap. I’m big on Askarov

depends how confident TO is they will sign an RD with the cap space

OP is freaking out because Arizona won game one of their qualifying round. If they win the series, the pick is 16-18 and not 10 (he thinks that is just going to be a draft bust, and there's nothing worth a damn there, etc etc)

Last edited:

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

While I understand what you’re getting at I doubt you’d get the top 4 D you need in trade. Getting a mid first and cap space to sign say Brodie seems a win as an outsider. I think an ideal target would be Tanev but I’ve seen mixed opinions on him by Leaf fans.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
what can two mid-late 1st round picks packaged together get NJ in a trade? Maybe add a little more if need be

Edit: with the expansion draft coming, economic issues, stagnated cap, and next years draft having scouting issues - NJ’s time Is now to jump on a team who needs to do something

So you want the proven young player, while the other team get the draft picks to draft an unproven young player.
Sounds like a great plan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad