Post-Game Talk: Two in a row - 4:1 Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamo

Jul 10, 2011
It is fake .500 if you have 17 wins and 19 loses. They don't have 50% of the possible points because some games are worth 3 points while others are only worth 2. You are counting each game as a maximum of 2 points.

That doesn't matter because a team can't get 3 points. A team can only get a max of 2 points on any given night. So it's not "fake" .500. That means the Jets have gotten 50% of the possible points they, as a team, could have achieved.

Honestly though, just change it to the 3-2-1 system.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
That doesn't matter because a team can't get 3 points. A team can only get a max of 2 points on any given night. So it's not "fake" .500. That means the Jets have gotten 50% of the possible points they, as a team, could have achieved.

true .500, for me, is what you do in regulation, because 3v3 and SO is not real hockey. we have 1 OT/SO win embedded in our record that has to be eliminated.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Was at the last two games and while I'm excited to watch Hellebuyck (he stopped every shot he saw) and think that part is headed in the right direction, the games both teams we just beat both came off back-to-back games (both in Minnesota I believe); Pittsburgh was hot garbage given the talent on that team and to me it looked a lot like Detroit got Jets'd last night. I haven't seen any of the possession numbers and while the Jets definitely won on the scoreboard I can't imagine they dove possession all that much last night. Hot goalies can do that for you and yay for us it's our goalie for a change.

Regardless, I'll wait and see what happens when we head back out of the road. A .500 team, real or otherwise won't be making the playoffs. It might be good enough for second LAST in the central though.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Was at the last two games and while I'm excited to watch Hellebuyck (he stopped every shot he saw) and think that part is headed in the right direction, the games both teams we just beat both came off back-to-back games (both in Minnesota I believe); Pittsburgh was hot garbage given the talent on that team and to me it looked a lot like Detroit got Jets'd last night. I haven't seen any of the possession numbers and while the Jets definitely won on the scoreboard I can't imagine they dove possession all that much last night. Hot goalies can do that for you and yay for us it's our goalie for a change.

Regardless, I'll wait and see what happens when we head back out of the road. A .500 team, real or otherwise won't be making the playoffs. It might be good enough for second LAST in the central though.

Agreed. We took advantage of teams on B2B that both had sub-par performances. But that is what we needed to do so good for us. This road trip will be very telling IMO. If we fight tooth and nail and get more points then we leave on the table, maybe we have a shot. A long shot but still a glimmer of hope. If we limp home further behind we are as good as done.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
That would be a game over fake .500. That would be if they can win a game against a team not on the back end of a b2b. Detroit was playing their 3rd game in 4 nights last night.

It is possible to find reasons for hope but the Jets still have a very big hill to climb.

We have been on that side of the equation more than most teams this season. My estimations, we deserve a few more.

The team has been trending in the right direction since the beginning of December, there is lots of hockey left, surprised at the level of negativity towards the team.

My analysis of this season will be based on improvements made in the second half, over the first half. You are dealing with a young roster, developing takes time, integrating new players into a system takes time, and games as well.

I've read some pretty harsh criticism of a team playing .500 hockey over a tough schedule, in an even tougher division, while developing and integrating rookies in to a new system. You are right, its a steep hill to climb, odds are we won't get in, but I think this team has the ability to make a solid push in the second half.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Agreed. We took advantage of teams on B2B that both had sub-par performances. But that is what we needed to do so good for us. This road trip will be very telling IMO. If we fight tooth and nail and get more points then we leave on the table, maybe we have a shot. A long shot but still a glimmer of hope. If we limp home further behind we are as good as done.

So I suppose we should excuse the Jets for losing some of their 7 back to back games. If the Jets carry some momentum through the next road trip the schedule will turn in their favour substantially. I think the playoffs are still a real long shot, but the Jets have had a tougher schedule than most.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

You are ignoring the important part. 17 wins - 19 losses.

Kamo

Jul 10, 2011
You are ignoring the important part. 17 wins - 19 losses.

I'm actually not, because 2 of those losses gave the Jets points. Ergo, like I've said 2 or 3 times now, the Jets have acquired 50% of the possible points they could have gotten as a team. If this were the NBA you would be correct. However, the NHL uses a points system, so you can't simply look at wins and losses to evaluate a team, the Jets aren't 5.5 games back of any team. They are 7 points out of a playoff spot. So when looking at teams in the NHL, it's points that matter.

Kamo

Jul 10, 2011
Semantics
W-L-OTL
That's how they are listed
17-17-2 is NOT .500

That's not an argument. But this is the last time ill say this. The NHL uses a point system. The Jets have 36 points. They have played 36 games. The Jets could have gotten a maximum of 72 points. 36/72 = 0.5, in other words 50%, or .500. Whichever way you want to look at it, it's .500.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Cheeze and rice, there's .500 for points earned and then there's .500 for wins/losses. You guys are arguing over semantics. Being able to call the team .500 or not means nothing.

/grumpiness

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Why does this board argue over this two or three times every year?

Probably because there's one correct definition of a .500 record, and for some reason people insist on using incorrect definitions. If someone is going to tell me that the 17-17-2 Jets and the 17-12-7 Jets are both .500 teams, I really don't know what else to say.

The fact that a .500 record is poor in today's NHL doesn't change the definition of what .500 means.

Kamo

Jul 10, 2011
Probably because there's one correct definition of a .500 record, and for some reason people insist on using incorrect definitions. If someone is going to tell me that the 17-17-2 Jets and the 17-12-7 Jets are both .500 teams, I really don't know what else to say.

The fact that a .500 record is poor in today's NHL doesn't change the definition of what .500 means.

17-17-2 = 36 pts, 50% of possible points.

17-12-7 = 41 pts, 57% of possible points.

They are not the same thing, but one of them is still .500.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
17 regulation losses is bad. really can only afford 10 or so more of those for the rest of the year to have a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad