TV: Twin Peaks

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Damn, Peggy Lipton still looks good at 71 yrs of age. Rashida Jones definitely gets her good looks from Mom's side of the family. :)

Last edited:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Okay why in the world did they even include those last 5-10 minutes?

I mean I was confused and intrigued by most of it, but there felt like a lot of filler content in those two hours.

I feel like that's basically every episode of season 3 so far. Not a fan of this season at all.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I feel like that's basically every episode of season 3 so far. Not a fan of this season at all.

Haven't seen the most recent ep yet but I'm finding it really hard to stay interested. I was into the first 2 eps and there's moments here and there. But mostly feels totally aimless and like a bad Lynch imitation.

Gonna keep watching but quickly losing faith.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I just finished re-watching the original two seasons for a 3rd time with a person who's interested in the revival but hadn't seen them. Watched Part 1 tonight and was intrigued but slightly disappointed at the lack of actual Twin Peaks as a setting. Hoping the show becomes more cohesive as it progresses.

Also was unaware that the actors that played Briggs and Albert died which is a shame, though I know they passed after filming their scenes. Didn't know that Ontkean wasn't returning as Truman however which kind of makes me sad though.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah, if you don't like the pilot you may as well call it a day. Some good stuff when the mystery is solved, but doubt you'd like the rest.

Completely disagree.

The pilot is excruciatingly slow. I usually tell people to skip it when I suggest the show.

I'd say the second episode is where things really getting interesting. The way it starts with the sandwhichs is delightful.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Can't disagree more about the new season's quality. The pacing and comedy/unsettling vibe has been absolutely perfect IMO. Dougie and Evil Coop alone would be worth the price of admission.

Best show on television.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Evil Coop was great, Dougie is just wasting Kyle MacLachlan's talents (and wasting a great character like Cooper).

Come on, the "comedy" wore off after his first appearance. Not to get too melodramatic but these are probably the last 18 hours we'll ever get of Twin Peaks and like six of those have been spent with a mentally ******** Cooper who doesn't know how to go to the bathroom.

At first I was on board with Cooper being "affected" after spending the last 25 years in the Black Lodge, but we get it now. It's played out. I don't need ten more minutes of Cooper trying to figure out how to drink coffee or get dressed when there's literally a zillion other plot points the show has brought up that it could be furthering instead.

Not to mention the absurd leaps in logic this all requires for us to accept it as an audience - hello, how have his wife, boss, co-workers, friends, etc not realized that Dougie, seemingly once a productive member of society, now has the intelligence and capabilities of a 2 year old?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Evil Coop was great, Dougie is just wasting Kyle MacLachlan's talents (and wasting a great character like Cooper).

Come on, the "comedy" wore off after his first appearance. Not to get too melodramatic but these are probably the last 18 hours we'll ever get of Twin Peaks and like six of those have been spent with a mentally ******** Cooper who doesn't know how to go to the bathroom.

At first I was on board with Cooper being "affected" after spending the last 25 years in the Black Lodge, but we get it now. It's played out. I don't need ten more minutes of Cooper trying to figure out how to drink coffee or get dressed when there's literally a zillion other plot points the show has brought up that it could be furthering instead.

Not to mention the absurd leaps in logic this all requires for us to accept it as an audience - hello, how have his wife, boss, co-workers, friends, etc not realized that Dougie, seemingly once a productive member of society, now has the intelligence and capabilities of a 2 year old?

I couldn't disagree more about Dougie. He's basically a modern silent film star, and his antics have never worn thin for me. I laughed my ass off when Janey-E yelled at him when he hesitated at the bottom of the stairs in Episode 6. In fact, I laugh most of the time he's trying to learn about and negotiate the world. MacLachlan's killing it in an exceptionally difficult role that I don't think many actors could pull off. He's probably the best character on TV right now.

One of the most appealing aspects of Cooper from the original series was his innocence - something that clearly couldn't return immediately (if ever) after a stint in the Black Lodge if he had his wits about him. Dougie gives us an opportunity to see Cooper at his most elemental. The way he smiles at a poor old lady who he's helped win the jackpot, the way he relates to an oddball Sonny Jim and offers him a chip, the way he works to expose fraud, the way he reacts to coffee...these are inherent characteristics of Coop that are slowly revealing themselves. He's kind, he's sympathetic, he's diligent and virtuous, and...he really likes coffee. :laugh: It's a long process, but to me, it's a much more entertaining interpretation of the "main character with amnesia" trope than what we get from every other TV series, where they regain everything almost immediately.

I also think that having Dougie as a sort of blank slate is a great way to reveal the character of others by how they interact with him.

If you're a longtime Twin Peaks fan, I think you're really missing the boat here...especially wanting the show to get to the business of furthering every plotline. The show's never been about the destination, it's always been about the journey. Try to enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I am loving the show, so much that I'm saddened that it's only this one season.

I've heard a lot of complaints that things are moving too slowly, but it's perfect to me. A two-minute scene of somebody sweeping a floor while "Green Onions" is playing, or the junkie mom yelling "119" repeatedly, or the songs at the end of the episodes, may seem like a lot of wasted aimless time to most viewers. But to me, Lynch is making it all work. I can't explain why.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I am loving the show, so much that I'm saddened that it's only this one season.

I've heard a lot of complaints that things are moving too slowly, but it's perfect to me. A two-minute scene of somebody sweeping a floor while "Green Onions" is playing, or the junkie mom yelling "119" repeatedly, or the songs at the end of the episodes, may seem like a lot of wasted aimless time to most viewers. But to me, Lynch is making it all work. I can't explain why.

Yeah, Lynch has his own sense of pace and timing that puts him at odds with most sensibilities these days. Not for everyone, but it's right up my alley too.

I wonder how much "slow cinema" critics of this season have watched.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Hard to put together anything plot-wise other than that BOB seems to have left Evil Cooper (who bullets apparently can't kill), and nuclear testing set off the birth of BOB from the pale figure's upchuck, which set off the birth of Laura Palmer from the Giant's face beam. Did the egg that the bug crawled out of come from the pale figure's spew too? What role do the murderous ashy hobos play?

These are sentences about the events of an actual TV show. I love it. :laugh:

In terms of audacity, atmosphere, tone, and visuals...this is one of my all-time favourite TV episodes. I won't forget it.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2006
I've done it guys.

I just purchased season 1 without ever seeing anything of the show. I've heard so many amazing things about it that I couldn't not do it. They had a DVD sale so I thought what the heck.

Now I've also heard that it's a love or hate show, so I resisted the temptation to purchase the box set. If I don't like it, I haven't wasted much. If I do like it, I'll go buy the box set.

I've got the afternoon off, here goes!!

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I've done it guys.

I just purchased season 1 without ever seeing anything of the show. I've heard so many amazing things about it that I couldn't not do it. They had a DVD sale so I thought what the heck.

Now I've also heard that it's a love or hate show, so I resisted the temptation to purchase the box set. If I don't like it, I haven't wasted much. If I do like it, I'll go buy the box set.

I've got the afternoon off, here goes!!

Go into it with an open mind - there's really nothing else like it. You're in for a helluva ride.

Oct 18, 2006
Go into it with an open mind - there's really nothing else like it. You're in for a helluva ride.
Which I did! I said to myself lets just give it a crack, nothing to lose.

Pilot + episode 1 down...

LOVE IT!!!

Pacing, storyline, music, humour (log lady!), I want to watch more! Hard to believe the show is so old, kind of feels like a trend setter.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Decided to finally watch this show, given several of my friends' love for it and the hype around the return. I'll lead off by saying I'm hooked enough to continue watching. I've watched the first three episodes so far.

But I really really don't get the hype. The acting is nothing short of horrific, the characters are mostly stereotypes, and the show relies too heavily on cheap hooks to keep you intrigued. Is it really necessary for everybody to have a secret affair?

I just started watching and wanted to try to get some insight if I should keep watching. I'm 3 episodes in right now and am in the same boat as you. I am thinking I should probably give up.

I was expecting "weird".

So far, what I've got is "amateurish" and "terrible".

the acting is all just completely unbearable. At it's best, I feel like I'm watching a high school perform a play. Kyle MacLachlan is the only one that seems to have any talent. And even then, the writing and cinematography is not doing him any favors.

I don't know if a lot of this is just being from the 90's and me forgetting how the world use to be, but so much of it just seems bad. From the way people talk, to the things they do (brooo let me surf on the hood of your car because I'm DRUNK and that's what drunk people do!), to a phone call constantly coming in at the perfect time. It just seems....bad

One specific thing that has been driving me crazy is the background music. It's just over done and too loud, just seems so overly cliche 90's. I guess I can live with that, because it's a 90's show. But then, even though the music is there in every scene, in the woods etc., then there are just certain scenes where the actors acknowledge the music and start dancing to it???? Is the music there or is it not?

I guess writing all this down kind of answers my question on what I should do. I'm all for a unique and weird storyline... but I don't think that I'll be able to shake the feeling that deep down this is just very poorly made

Edit: And sorry, this was supposed to be "I've watched a couple episodes and am not sure it's for me, should I keep watching?" but kind of devolved into "let me tell you why this show that you love sucks"

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Which I did! I said to myself lets just give it a crack, nothing to lose.

Pilot + episode 1 down...

LOVE IT!!!

Pacing, storyline, music, humour (log lady!), I want to watch more! Hard to believe the show is so old, kind of feels like a trend setter.

It's eternally fresh for me. That's one benefit of a director/creator like Lynch never aping anyone.

Good to hear you love it. Keep going...the new series is so damn good that it more than makes up for some of the cheesier episodes in the latter part of Season 2 haha.

Oct 18, 2006
Into season 2 now. So good.

It's definitely starting to get a little weirder, more supernatural, and some more 'obvious' humour. But I can't help but constantly be so enthralled. The stuff with Bob is just plain freaky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad