Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 6 - HIBERNATION BEGINS - Florida wins series 4-2

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I like to read critiques from fans that attend games live. All observations are great but actually being at games give a fan a better idea of the intricacies of players. You see how they react to opponents at faceoffs and in front of the net. There is a lot of small stuff that is missed watching on the tube. Hard to judge character watching TV.

Last edited:

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Imo what really screwed up Pasta and Marchand's production is they were forced to be the playmakers on their lines because the centers couldn't do the job. Why do you think Pasta and Marchand had so many assists all season.

Overall it was the board battles that killed us. It was constant bruins being pinned against the boards behind Bob and sending it to the other winger for him to be be jammed. Puck squirts loose and Panthers take it up ice. In our zone the panthers constantly beat the bruins to the puck on the boards and could get it back to their D and get a play going. Felt like the Panthers were on a PP when they got the cycle going.
This. When Florida is going well, the have a very good high low game, which requires far more defensive coverage from wings out high. Some wings suck defensively.

Reactions: Gordoff

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
You think the poor old battered husk of Bergeron and a last Hurrah Krejci is equal to prime Barkov + Bennett/Lundell?

What revisionist history this shit is lol.

Which of those rosters was the best team of all time (statistically) and which one barely made the playoffs?

We need to have accountability if we're going to be honest with these debates.

The bruins had no business losing that series.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
I think there were quite a few Bruins that heard footsteps in this series. The elephant in the room was the finish. Bruins just have a lot of straight forward players. They need a couple of forwards that can stick handle in a phone booth to set up goals.
Coyle can stick handle in a phone booth, but many times it’s like he’s playing keep away rather than anything constructive offensively. Much of it doesn’t lead to that tricky set up pass. Poitras had that. Although young and the jury is still out on how his overall game will pan out. Same w Lohrei. Hope they both pan out, but I’ve seen many guys fizzle out, etc.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
You can.

My original point was that I'd rather start looking toward the future and start accumulating assets that Sweeney has burned chasing a cup they never got.

Which IS better than bouncing in the first round every year.

Sorry but making the playoffs doesn't do anything for me. You want to be one of the top 3 or 4 teams that can legitimately win it and not just a one and done and occasionally second round team.

But doing that and keeping Pasta aren’t mutually exclusive. Especially with the cap apace they have.

• Hopefully they can get a 1 or second liner for Ullmark
  • Re-sign JDB
  • I’m not worried about Swayman….Sweeney always seems to lock up key guys without much issue.
  • Sign Stephenson or Lindholm
  • Sign a physical top 9 guy. Joshua would be great, but might cost too much.

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
But doing that and keeping Pasta aren’t mutually exclusive. Especially with the cap apace they have.

• Hopefully they can get a 1 or second liner for Ullmark
  • Re-sign JDB
  • I’m not worried about Swayman….Sweeney always seems to lock up key guys without much issue.
  • Sign Stephenson or Lindholm
  • Sign a physical top 9 guy. Joshua would be great, but might cost too much.

Debrusk needs to go. This man can literally disappear for a half season at a time.

Re-signing him is another example of accepting mediocrity.

If we cant do better than debrusk then we're in trouble.

DoubleBack

Apr 29, 2024
Word to the wise:
Careful with the Hot Takes on players based on recent performance until we know the whole injury picture on the team. More than a few Bruins were walking wounded from what I can guess.
Personally I'm not interested in hearing "so and so was injured for the 4th playoffs in the past 5 years" so he gets a pass. The inability to stay healthy has to be considered in whether to kept or move on from anyone.

• Haha
Reactions: Ladyfan and Gordoff

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC

Which of those rosters was the best team of all time (statistically) and which one barely made the playoffs?

There was accountability, they had no money the next year and had to piece together a team on scraps and discarded players and still made it to game 6 second round 2 with no top 6 centers. It’s not revisionist history on me because you didnt/dont understand the Panthers composition and talent level of their players even in a down season for them last year during the RS.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Panthers made the playoffs on the good graces of the Pens. Down the stretch Florida almost didn’t look like they were even fighting to get in when I watched some of their games.

And they only made it because the pens blew it. And now that same Panthers roster was somehow a mismatch?

Come on

Reactions: Bradely

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
There was accountability, they had no money the next year and had to piece together a team on scraps and discarded players and still made it to game 6 second round 2 with no top 6 centers. It’s not revisionist history on me because you didnt/dont understand the Panthers composition and talent level of their players even in a down season for them last year during the RS.

Again. Who's fault is it they had no money?

But this is the accountability I'm talking about. You're saying that it's my fault and every other fan who expected the Bruins to beat the 8th seed for not understanding how good the Panthers really was.

When the real accountability is holding the Bruins accountable for ANOTHER first round exit despite the fact that they had the most wins and points in NHL history.

Essentially you're saying it's not the bruins fault they lost because they ran into a better team. That's not good enough.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Coyle can stick handle in a phone booth, but many times it’s like he’s playing keep away rather than anything constructive offensively. Much of it doesn’t lead to that tricky set up pass. Poitras had that. Although young and the jury is still out on how his overall game will pan out. Same w Lohrei. Hope they both pan out, but I’ve seen many guys fizzle out, etc.
Watched Poitras play against the Rangers and other junior teams quite a few times.
Kid has to pack on some muscle. He should turn into a decent prospect. NHL hockey is extremely fast. Players coming in have to get up to speed , make plays faster and realize they won't have as much room to maneuver.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Debrusk needs to go. This man can literally disappear for a half season at a time.

Re-signing him is another example of accepting mediocrity.

If we cant do better than debrusk then we're in trouble.
They finished top 3 in the conference with him.

He’s a second liner who scored 11 points in 13 games in the playoffs, without a legitimate #2 center to play with.

Hes another guy you keep, provided the ask isn’t unreasonable.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
Again. Who's fault is it they had no money?

But this is the accountability I'm talking about. You're saying that it's my fault and every other fan who expected the Bruins to beat the 8th seed for not understanding how good the Panthers really was.

When the real accountability is holding the Bruins accountable for ANOTHER first round exit despite the fact that they had the most wins and points in NHL history.

Essentially you're saying it's not the bruins fault they lost because they ran into a better team. That's not good enough.
No im saying it’s not Pasta’s fault he was saddled with 3rd liners in the playoffs and it wasn’t the bottom 6 forwards fault they were asked to shutdown top line players. It’s not the bruins players faults or the coach. It’s the GM, if you want accountability go after him and Seabass not Pasta, Mac, and Jake.

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
Panthers made the playoffs on the good graces of the Pens. Down the stretch Florida almost didn’t look like they were even fighting to get in when I watched some of their games.

And they only made it because the pens blew it. And now that same Panthers roster was somehow a mismatch?

Come on

It's our fault for holding the Bruins to a standard they couldn't meet because we took dumb to understand that the Panthers were the better team.

It feels absurd to say that out loud but that's definitely the take here.

They finished top 3 in the conference with him.

He’s a second liner who scored 11 points in 13 games in the playoffs, without a legitimate #2 center to play with.

Hes another guy you keep, provided the ask isn’t unreasonable.

I've seen enough out of debrusk in 9 years.

He's gone. Obviously. But it's scary that other people are what I see and view him as a centerpiece still.

Zillah

Bleed Black and Gold
Apr 4, 2011
West Kelowna B.C.
I don’t know . After the Bruins game, I watched the avalanche / stars game in its entirety. Honestly, it looked like I had discovered a different hockey league that was at an elite level. The speed and skill of both teams was unbelievable, and it felt like I was watching the game in a higher speed even into the second overtime. Massive infusion of talent needed if we were to compete at that level .

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
No im saying it’s not Pasta’s fault he was saddled with 3rd liners in the playoffs and it wasn’t the bottom 6 forwards fault they were asked to shutdown top line players. It’s not the bruins players faults or the coach. It’s the GM, if you want accountability go after him and Seabass not Pasta, Mac, and Jake.

If Pasta is gonna eat you that amount of cap then it IS some of his fault.

So we can't give him the help he needs because he's eating up more than his fair share of the cap and then we also can't blame him for his underperforming because he has no help?

He has to play like the guy he's paid to be otherwise it doesn't work.

do you know about the NHL draft and how it works? Genuine question.

I know it's impossible to improve through the draft when you're burning your draft picks on guys like maroon.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC

So we can't give him the help he needs because he's eating up more than his fair share of the cap and then we also can't blame him for his underperforming because he has no help?

They can definitely get him the help he needs now that they have cap space, you’re ignoring half the story in every thing you bitch about.

I know it's impossible to improve through the draft when you're burning your draft picks on guys like maroon.
Please track that 6th round pick for us and let us know how his career turns out.

Reactions: Ladyfan and Gordoff

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
They can definitely get him the help he needs now that they have cap space, you’re ignoring half the story in every thing you bitch about.

Sure. Great. And next year there will be another reason to give these guys a pass.

It's not a bad take to say pasta needs to be better.

It's a bad take to say he's been fine.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021

Swap last years Boston goaltending with this year and Bruins probably win.
AND.... look at Florida 2023-2024 season, last year they had a downyear, bad regular season. 8th seed team last year! In no way.

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad