TV: Twin Peaks

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Incredible episode with only 2 to go.

Disappointing to see this show get so little recognition, because it's by far the best show on TV. I think people have trouble getting invested in a show that not only has it's own sense of timing, but is impossible to categorize and immune to fan theory speculation.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Incredible episode with only 2 to go.

Disappointing to see this show get so little recognition, because it's by far the best show on TV. I think people have trouble getting invested in a show that not only has it's own sense of timing, but is impossible to categorize and immune to fan theory speculation.

The timing could be an issue for some, but I reckon a larger issue facing prospective viewers is that they would need to watch 2 seasons of a TV show that was created 25 years ago. There are a lot of people out there who won't watch something from 10 years ago, let alone 25. And the original series is itself an acquired taste, as I've shown the original series to most of my friends, and only one of them watched past the first season on their own. Twin Peaks is my favorite show of all time and I believe it is an outright masterpiece, but it's definitely not for everyone.

Have you been to the Twin Peaks subreddit? There's a bunch of fan theories and speculation on there. Some of it is actually pretty amusing.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The timing could be an issue for some, but I reckon a larger issue facing prospective viewers is that they would need to watch 2 seasons of a TV show that was created 25 years ago. There are a lot of people out there who won't watch something from 10 years ago, let alone 25. And the original series is itself an acquired taste, as I've shown the original series to most of my friends, and only one of them watched past the first season on their own. Twin Peaks is my favorite show of all time and I believe it is an outright masterpiece, but it's definitely not for everyone.

Have you been to the Twin Peaks subreddit? There's a bunch of fan theories and speculation on there. Some of it is actually pretty amusing.

You're right about the original series having aired so long ago being an obstacle too, especially since so much of the 2nd season is such a chore to get through.

Haven't checked out the Twin Peaks subreddit, mostly because I think it's a bit goofy to think that Lynch is going to leave breadcrumbs around for people to figure out how things will end in a neat little package, but I know there will be some die-hards who'll pore over every detail to try. :laugh:

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Add to that the fact that Twin Peaks already had a weird dichotomy in it's fanbase where some people tried hard to just ignore all the surrealism while others wanted more of it at all times... a lot of the former group likely tuned out of this revival pretty quick

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
You're right about the original series having aired so long ago being an obstacle too, especially since so much of the 2nd season is such a chore to get through.

Haven't checked out the Twin Peaks subreddit, mostly because I think it's a bit goofy to think that Lynch is going to leave breadcrumbs around for people to figure out how things will end in a neat little package, but I know there will be some die-hards who'll pore over every detail to try. :laugh:

If I had a bunch of money and a bunch of time, I would definitely go around and visit all of the areas that Lynch has hinted at as having importance. Unfortunately, I have neither of those things right now, so I end up relying on potentially crazy Redditors to give me details on the locations referenced in the show.

I never bought into the website holding all of the answers, though. That seemed like a MacGuffin the moment it was introduced.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Add to that the fact that Twin Peaks already had a weird dichotomy in it's fanbase where some people tried hard to just ignore all the surrealism while others wanted more of it at all times... a lot of the former group likely tuned out of this revival pretty quick

Yup. And I'm definitely in the latter group, so I'm in my glory haha.

All I can say is I was really getting tired of Dougie Jones.

Not me. I miss him already.

He had his moments, but I wasn't waiting for 25 years to see Dougie. Finally we get to see Coop back in action. I'm so excited, haha.

Cooper's my favourite TV character ever, but Dougie's right up there. I'm glad we got another great protagonist out of this series instead of Lynch doling out fan service with Cooperisms all season long.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Cooper's my favourite TV character ever, but Dougie's right up there. I'm glad we got another great protagonist out of this series instead of Lynch doling out fan service with Cooperisms all season long.

True, I wouldn't want Coop to become too much of a meme, since he's my favorite TV character of all time, as well.

The fact that Kyle MacLachlan can play both Dougie and Coop, and play both convincingly, speaks to his talent as an actor. He's pretty underrated, I feel.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
True, I wouldn't want Coop to become too much of a meme, since he's my favorite TV character of all time, as well.

The fact that Kyle MacLachlan can play both Dougie and Coop, and play both convincingly, speaks to his talent as an actor. He's pretty underrated, I feel.

Absolutely. I'm not sure why some people thought that playing Dougie didn't give McLachlan much to do...he had a lot to do, and he had to do it all with minimal dialogue.

Not to mention Evil Coop!

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The young Horne :eek:

Real Dale Cooper is back :yo:

The van scene :eek:

Diane scene :scared:

Audrey scene :eek: :scared: :help:

Plus Richard Horne getting frizzled on a giant boulder while his great uncle watched.

Also, having watched the latest episode a second time, I'm convinced Agent Dale Cooper is going to die.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Well, they do say that all good things must come to an end. Needless to say, I would be pretty heartbroken to watch Coop go. What makes you say that, though?

When he asked Mike "Do you have the seed?", and then plucked a hair sample from his head and gave it to him saying that he needed Mike to make another one, he knew that he'd be facing a fatal showdown with his doppelganger so he wanted another version of himself (I guess we're calling them "tulpas" now) manufactured.

So when he was saying goodbye to Janey-E and Sonny Jim and said Dougie would come back to them, then corrected himself and said he was going to come back, it was a slip. I think a newly-manufactured tulpa will be going back to them. But maybe that's how Dale gets reincarnated again after death. :dunno:

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

The original show is incredibly difficult to "get" from a modern perspective. The original pilot comes across as very melodramatic and silly, even though it was supposed to be satirizing soap operas of the time.

Jacques The Mayor

Aug 29, 2011
wastings mn
Just watched the first episode last night. My girlfriend stopped midway and said "wait is it the 1980's or 2010?" I told her I had no idea but I liked what I was watching.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I don't think I've ever enjoyed a season of a TV show more than this one. I was a big fan of Twin Peaks 25 years ago, and while I was looking forward to watching this, I wasn't expecting it to be as good as the original series. Instead, it has turned out to be better. Can't wait to see how they finish it tonight.

Thank you David Lynch.

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
Glad to see David Lynch tying everything up nicely. LOL.

:laugh:

I knew the finale wouldn't be entirely satisfying, but I wasn't expecting........that.

Right now I'm kinda mad. The first hour was great and I was excited to see where it would go, but man did I not like that final hour. Maybe my feelings on it will improve after reading some theories and rewatching the episode, but my initial reaction is disappointment. It felt so tedious and there were still several questions left unanswered. Notably:

[spoil]Wtf is going on with Audrey? What was the point of having all those scenes with her and Charlie if they led to nowhere?[/spoil]

Overall, I thought it was still a great season of television. I'm hoping they have plans for season four, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad