Rumor: TVA Lavoie Reporting Markov wants 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
He slowed down BADLY last season as the year went on. What happened to Plekanec this season should make everyone safer in this front office when it comes to extending older players.

Slowed down how? If you are talking about his skating, it's expected but he's such a cerebral player that he doesn't need to rely on his speed to still be effective.

Not all old players end up like Plekanec and Markov has been proving everybody wrong since 2011. I'm not worried about him.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Slowed down how? If you are talking about his skating, it's expected but he's such a cerebral player that he doesn't need to rely on his speed to still be effective.

Not all old players end up like Plekanec and Markov has been proving everybody wrong since 2011. I'm not worried about him.

I thought Markov played a lot better later in the year once we got Benn and he didn't have to kill as many penalties.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Couldn't care less about the salary cap in this regard. He's Andrei Markov and he retires a Montreal Canadien at any cost.

EDIT: does an accent aigu show up as a bunch of weird little characters for anyone else?

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Markov did noticeably slow down in the playoffs, was very erratic. But that has a lot to do with him playing 24-25 minutes per. That will have to change.

hockeyguru19

Jun 6, 2017
Bergevin has to do alot more than bring Markov back......Why would Price want to commit to this franchise long term with Bergervin running the show.

Uwey

Jun 10, 2006
Lunenburg, NS
Sign him. who cares about the last year you can dump him and retain 50% of the salary or buy him out.

2 years 4.5 would be perfect. 6 this year, 3 next year. Easy to trade that contract next year or to buy it out.

The buyout would cost the complete cap hit reguardless if he plays because he is over the age of 35.

Same as if he retires.

See Hossa's contract & why it would have killed the Hawks cap wise if he had retired.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
:laugh:

Seriously guys? I know that HF has a bias towards younger players, but this is ridiculous. He was paid $5.75M last year and played some great hockey and put up great numbers. Why do you think he should take an over 50% paycut?

He'll get his 2 year contract worth about $10M and continue to play well for us.

100% this.

And we should be happy to get a defenseman of this caliber that cheap. He gets what he wants, and he wants to play two more years.

So break out the chequebook Molson / Bergy and get it done.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
2 yrs...........he is in control here, not MB...look at our D without him...he had a great season last year, he just needs to have a little less TOI and maybe a game here or there, when he sits in a b2b situation...

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Markov has given everything he has to this Habs organization during his entire NHL career. If he wants 2 years, give him 2 ****ing years. He's easily our 2nd best defenseman and we'd be lost without him next season.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
2 yrs...........he is in control here, not MB...look at our D without him...he had a great season last year, he just needs to have a little less TOI and maybe a game here or there, when he sits in a b2b situation...

No he's not in control
I love markov but the Habs owe him nothing
He's been paid handsomely and he Deserved It. It's time to move on
Our D is slow as it is and bringing him back makes us slower.
Weber and markov on the top pair is damn slow
Habs need to focus on centres first and then if there's money left consider markov

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
No more than a $4 million AAV then.

Players don't put cap in their bank accounts. They put money.

Last year, Markov made $4.25M. I would offer $4M for 1 year, or $6M for two, given the cap risk if he does not play or is not effective the second year.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
His actual salary was 4.25M last year. Two years at the same salary would make it a 4.25M cap hit. The Habs would save 1.5M on the cap. Though for next year at the moment, he's not counted on the 21M in cap space. But if he's at 4.25M, Habs will still have between 16-17M in space to keep working with.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The buyout would cost the complete cap hit reguardless if he plays because he is over the age of 35.

Same as if he retires.

See Hossa's contract & why it would have killed the Hawks cap wise if he had retired.

The Hossa issue is cap recapture penalty, not 35+ multi-year contract.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
I think 2y, 8-10m, 4-5 aav will make everyone happy.

It won't be under 4m aav... He will get more then 1 y else were.

I would love him to finish with the MTL! 6th in game play, (may finish 3rd in 2 years) 18th in term of points (If he stay, he may beat Koivu at the 10th position).

He had 36 pts, in 62 games. It's still elite numbers

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
If Markov walks, what is Montreal's D on the left side? Who is a free agent they could bring in cheaper or at price of Markov? Is there anyone available on the left side better?

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
I think 2y, 8-10m, 4-5 aav will make everyone happy.

It won't be under 4m aav... He will get more then 1 y else were.

I would love him to finish with the MTL! 6th in game play, (may finish 3rd in 2 years) 18th in term of points (If he stay, he may beat Koivu at the 10th position).

He had 36 pts, in 62 games. It's still elite numbers

One of the most productive seasons by a 38 year-old defenseman in NHL history.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Players don't put cap in their bank accounts. They put money.

Last year, Markov made $4.25M. I would offer $4M for 1 year, or $6M for two, given the cap risk if he does not play or is not effective the second year.

Pretty much what i would offer to. Totally agree with you on this.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
why can't the habs pull off a Chicago trick.
Sign Markov to a 5 year contract, pay him 4 mil this year and 4 years at 1 mil. for a cap hit of 2 mil per. make sure Markov develops an allergy to skating in the second year so habs GET A FREE PASS. Whats good for the Hawks is good for the Habs. I know a few Doctors that will sign ANYTHING for free Hab tickets.:)

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
why can't the habs pull off a Chicago trick.
Sign Markov to a 5 year contract, pay him 4 mil this year and 4 years at 1 mil. for a cap hit of 2 mil per. make sure Markov develops an allergy to skating in the second year so habs GET A FREE PASS. Whats good for the Hawks is good for the Habs. I know a few Doctors that will sign ANYTHING for free Hab tickets.:)

New CBA doesn't allow the Hossa/Weber type contract.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
No he's not in control
I love markov but the Habs owe him nothing
He's been paid handsomely and he Deserved It. It's time to move on
Our D is slow as it is and bringing him back makes us slower.
Weber and markov on the top pair is damn slow
Habs need to focus on centres first and then if there's money left consider markov
Have you looked at our left side D ?? He is in control...worse really, MB has let the agent take control...

We do need centres, but we also need Markov...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad