Rumor: TVA Lavoie Reporting Markov wants 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
If we learned anything about the Plekanec disaster, he's going to get 1 year, or very limited amounts of money on a 2 years deal.

Apr 1, 2006
Montreal
Of course give it to him, he's still a high caliber dman. IMO, saying one year is enough is like saying "he'll be top4 this season, but I don't see him cracking the top6 next year". Of course he will :yo:

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Of course give it to him, he's still a high caliber dman. IMO, saying one year is enough is like saying "he'll be top4 this season, but I don't see him cracking the top6 next year". Of course he will :yo:

Just like Plekanec is still a top-6 player, right? :sarcasm:

At this point, Markov should accept one year deals till the end of his career. The organization has been EXTREMELY loyal to him in his toughest years where he battled injury after injury. It's payback time.

I really like Markov but I don't want another Plekanec debacle. And it's still very probably as Markov was very ordinary in the latter part of last season.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Lol. Give him 8 or 9 over two years.

I have a hard time thinking that he will be as effective at 39 and 40 as he was in previous years. This passed year was his first season since 11-12 where he missed any substantial time due to injury. I guess I wouldn't mind 2 year at 8M but I feel that come year two, that may bite the Habs in the ass.

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
markovs still great and been with us since day 1. i say give him 3x3-3.5 then defense coach immediately on retiring. he was a great 2/3 last year and il bet hes still a great 4-5-6 in 3 years. gets him the 9-10 mil he wants and gets us a top 4 lhd for cheap.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I have a hard time thinking that he will be as effective at 39 and 40 as he was in previous years. This passed year was his first season since 11-12 where he missed any substantial time due to injury. I guess I wouldn't mind 2 year at 8M but I feel that come year two, that may bite the Habs in the ass.

So then you make up a skin allergy and put him on the LTIR.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
He is over 35 years old, if you buy him out, he still counts against the cap :shakehead

Cap hit is only 2/3rds x double length of contract. So if we structure his deal where its 3 or 4 mill in year 2 we are looking at a cap hit of less than 2 Million for 2 years.

Also can simply retain salary and dump him too on that last year.

And all of this is if Markov is not worth his contract on the last year, he very well could be and there would be no reason to trade/dump him.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
Sign him. who cares about the last year you can dump him and retain 50% of the salary or buy him out.

2 years 4.5 would be perfect. 6 this year, 3 next year. Easy to trade that contract next year or to buy it out.

Do you wish to call MB or should I? This is a no brainer.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
He's been our iron man since recovering from his disastrous injuries. He took discounts in the past to sign long term here. He's a Hab to the core in an era where loyalty to team is a dying trait. Our D is already thin, without him we're in trouble.

Give this man 2 years without question. He's earned it and still produces at top pairing levels. 2x5M.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
2 year $8m with no NMC and I'm fine with that.

Even if he sucks in the 2nd year, you can always trade a guy like Markov for a pick or two.

No brainer for me.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Is Bergevin waiting to see what he can sign ufa wise? For anyone worthwhile it's always an overpayment and a trade for an equivalent player would require giving up a significant asset or two.

Sign him.

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
Sign him. He's in good shape for a 38 year old guy. Not that I want to compare him to Lidstrom, but Lidstrom won a Norris at the age of 41 and they play a similar game. I'd give him around 8M for 2 years, but wouldn't be surprise if he gets up to 10M.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
You can also bet he won't get it. :nod:

I hope so. I thought he wouldn't in his last 2 contract negociations, and he still got. And knowing Bergevin is quick on the trigger when it comes to re-signing players I don't want to expect anything good and be disappointed.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
So then you make up a skin allergy and put him on the LTIR.

While I agree what is going on with Hossa is VERY SKETCHY. I wonder if their is some truth. I would have a hard time thinking the NHL would not investigate this and just let it be. That would set a very bad precedence.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
You guys said the same thing about his last contact. Horrible contract, he will be done by the time his third year came. Don't try to predict when it comes to Markov, he made a lot of people look foolish since his "career ending" injury in 2011.

He's the 2nd most productive Habs defensemen in history. He's still amongst the best in the league and I personally can't wait to see him play his 1000th game in a Habs uniform.

He's a Habs Legend, give the man his money! :nod:

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
You guys said the same thing about his last contact. Horrible contract, he will be done by the time his third year came. Don't try to predict when it comes to Markov, he made a lot of people look foolish since his "career ending" injury in 2011.

He's the 2nd most productive Habs defensemen in history. He's still amongst the best in the league and I personally can't wait to see him play his 1000th game in a Habs uniform.

He's a Habs Legend, give the man his money! :nod:

He slowed down BADLY last season as the year went on. What happened to Plekanec this season should make everyone safer in this front office when it comes to extending older players.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I'd rather give him 3 years at 3.5 and buy him out after the second if he wants to stop, than sign him at a 5 AAV or 4 AAV. That's 9.33 million total and he's still getting paid on the 3rd & 4th years.

Edit: forgot the 35+ rule... nvm...

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary
Luv Marky but one year deals for anyone over 35. Salary cap space is like gold. No more than 3.5 million or move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad