TV ratings for sports other than hockey

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Massively hyped? You must be stuck in the internet bubble. There was zero hype for those shows.

Or the opposite. I have ESPN & NFL Network on my TVs a lot and they kept hyping it up, as they do every year -- in addition to the usual online stuff.

Schedule release is a big day on the NFL calendar, the hype for that includes "watch the show" and every year, not many do -- relative to the standards of any other NFL related 'event'.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019

The six-game Lakers-Warriors second round NBA playoff series averaged 7.8 million viewers across ABC, ESPN and TNT, marking the largest audience for a semifinal series since 1996. Outside of the NBA Finals, it ranks as the most-watched playoff series in any round since the 2018 conference finals (Warriors-Rockets: 9.4M; Cavaliers-Celtics: 8.4M). The previous high over that span was 8.15 million for Lakers-Thunder Game 5 on TNT in 2012. Across all networks, the Lakers’ series-clinching win ranks second only to Warriors-Kings Game 7 on ABC in the first round (9.84M) as the most-watched early round game since 2011 (Lakers-Mavericks Game 4: 8.89M). All six games of the Lakers-Warriors series rank among the ten most-watched early round games in the past decade.

The NBA is really gonna miss LeBron and Curry

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
1NBA PLAYOFFS-CONF FNLS L: LA LAKERS/DENVERESPN8:40 PM1642.567,128
74NBA PLAYOFFS-CONF FNLS L: LA LAKERS/DENVERESPN28:41 PM1620.06234
76NBA PLAYOFFS-CONF FNLS L: LA LAKERS/DENVERESPN DEPORTES8:30 PM1720.06100

At the same level to start than the Warriors series.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
1NBA PLAYOFFS- CONF FNLS L: HEAT/CELTICSTURNER NETWORK TELEVISION8:29 PM1492.075,945

Will track these conference final next couple of days since it's a rematch from last year not only the bubble.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
1NBA PLAYOFFS- CONF FNLS L: HEAT/CELTICSTURNER NETWORK TELEVISION8:29 PM1492.075,945

Will track these conference final next couple of days since it's a rematch from last year not only the bubble.

Wednesday’s Heat-Celtics NBA Eastern Conference Finals Game 1 averaged a 3.2 rating and 5.95 million viewers on TNT, down 5% in ratings and 2% in viewership from the same matchup on ESPN last year (3.4, 6.07M). A widespread YouTube TV outage late in the game is believed to have impacted viewership.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019

A good NHL lead in helped

1NBA PLAYOFFS- CONF FNLS L: HEAT/CELTICSTURNER NETWORK TELEVISION8:29 PM1532.056,134

Game 2 of the NBA Eastern Conference Finals (Heat-Celtics) averaged 6.13 million viewers on TNT Friday night, up 1% from the same matchup on ESPN last year (6.05M).

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
Nuggets-Lakers top conference final Game 3 since 2011

Saturday’s Nuggets-Lakers NBA Western Conference Finals Game 3 averaged a 4.3 rating and 8.38 million viewers on ABC, up 8% in ratings and 13% in viewership from Warriors-Mavericks on TNT last year (4.0, 7.42M) and the most-watched conference final Game 3 since 2011 (Bulls-Heat: 10.89M). In other conference final action, Miami’s 26-point blowout of Boston in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Finals averaged a 3.5 and 6.49 million on TNT Sunday night — down 3% in ratings and 5% in viewership from the same matchup on ABC last year (3.6, 6.81M). Compared to last year’s conference final Game 3 on TNT, Warriors-Mavericks, viewership fell 12 and 13 percent respectively.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023
Or the opposite. I have ESPN & NFL Network on my TVs a lot and they kept hyping it up, as they do every year -- in addition to the usual online stuff.

Schedule release is a big day on the NFL calendar, the hype for that includes "watch the show" and every year, not many do -- relative to the standards of any other NFL related 'event'.
350K seems like a horrible number and not worth making the show again

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023
People are more player fans in the NBA versus people are more team fans in the NHL. Each marketed the sport differently and as a result see viewing habits similar to it.
I wonder if it would even work in the NHL given the players are on the ice for onlyb1/3 of the game vs 3/4 for NBA players

MLB is bad at it too and likely because the players are involved in so little of the action directly. They get 5 PA and out of 35 to 40.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019

A good NHL lead in helped

Game 2 of the NBA Eastern Conference Finals (Heat-Celtics) averaged 6.13 million viewers on TNT Friday night, up 1% from the same matchup on ESPN last year (6.05M).

Thursday’s Heat-Celtics NBA Eastern Conference Finals Game 5 averaged 6.24 million viewers on TNT, down 3% from last year’s game between the same teams on ESPN (6.42M). Ratings were not immediately available. Two nights earlier, Game 4 averaged a 3.6 rating and a series-high 6.56 million — flat in ratings and up 3% in viewership from last year’s Game 4 on ABC (3.6, 6.40M).

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019

Some soccer numbers

The first three rounds of the NBA Playoffs averaged 4.71 million viewers across ABC, ESPN, TNT and NBA TV, the highest at this point of the postseason since 2012 (4.9M). Games on ESPN and ABC have averaged 5.6 million, up 9% from last year and the networks’ highest average since the same 2012 playoffs. TNT games averaged 4.7 million, up 14% and its highest since 2018. The three-round average is off just 1% from last year’s full-postseason mark, including the NBA Finals (4.77M).

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
According to Denversports.com yesterday, 7.62 million for game 1 of Nuggets-Heat, down from 11 million for game 1 Warriors-Celtics last year, a big drop. Yes I realize I the markets are smaller, AND it's not Warriors and Curry vs. the historic Celtics and the large Boston market...but still!

And still no ratings confirmation from the usual sources yet...hmmm.

And it was a blowout from some headline I saw. That doesn't bode so well for future games unless game 2 is close or controversial.

Hmmm...so if Panthers-Golden Knights draws hopefully 2.5 to 2.8 million in game 1 tonight, on just cable and not ABC....well, that's not so comical, after all? NBA has 38 million Twitter followers or so vs. only 6 million for NHL, 8 million for MLB. I think NFL is 30 million plus.

Considering how the NBA is always in everyone's face most of the year... well, then shouldn't their finals games average 25 to 30 million, right? It'll likely be a lot closer than usual, at least this Final, to the NHL. Few would believe it.

And that NBA rating last night will be beat again (?) by the upcoming World Series 2023 game 1, I think. Baseball, supposedly a dying sport vs. the all-world NBA draws similar championship tv ratings, even when Warriors are in their finals. We know this. But many don't.

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Pattaya, Thailand
According to Denversports.com yesterday, 7.62 million for game 1 of Nuggets-Heat, down from 11 million for game 1 Warriors-Celtics last year, a big drop. Yes I realize I the markets are smaller, AND it's not Warriors and Curry vs. the historic Celtics and the large Boston market...but still!

And still no ratings confirmation from the usual sources yet...hmmm.

And it was a blowout from some headline I saw. That doesn't bode so well for future games unless game 2 is close or controversial.

Hmmm...so if Panthers-Golden Knights draws hopefully 2.5 to 2.8 million in game 1 tonight, on just cable and not ABC....well, that's not so comical, after all? NBA has 38 million Twitter followers or so vs. only 6 million for NHL, 8 million for MLB. I think NFL is 30 million plus.

Considering how the NBA is always in everyone's face most of the year... well, then shouldn't their finals games average 25 to 30 million, right? It'll likely be a lot closer than usual, at least this Final, to the NHL. Few would believe it.

And that NBA rating last night will be beat again (?) by the upcoming World Series 2023 game 1, I think. Baseball, supposedly a dying sport vs. the all-world NBA draws similar championship tv ratings, even when Warriors are in their finals. We know this. But many don't.
A significant number of the NBA’s social media followers is international. They are watching just not on ABC.

World Series might have slightly higher viewership, but NBA Finals crush it in the key young demos.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
it isn't a bad matchup at all, best player in the league going for franchise's first ever title vs the ultimate underdog Cinderella

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad