OT: TV & Movie Thread: Part II

Deleted member 23124

Mad Men is one of my favorite shows. I highly recommend it for anyone who is a fan of great writing and character driven television (e.g., The Sopranos).
I actually started season 1 -- got about halfway thru....don't know what was going on in my life at the time, but I found the accuracy of the show as far as the times, lingo, etc., unsettling and decided to put it aside -- with all intention of going back to it later.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
I actually started season 1 -- got about halfway thru....don't know what was going on in my life at the time, but I found the accuracy of the show as far as the times, lingo, etc., unsettling and decided to put it aside -- with all intention of going back to it later.

I actually did the same thing and quit in the middle of Season 1. Then at some point I watched a couple of Season 5 episodes when they were airing live and I thought they were excellent, so I picked it back up again and now it's one of my favorites. The first season isn't my favorite but it gets a more interesting over time.. similar to how everything in the world got a whole lot more interesting as the 1960s progressed.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I thought so, too. A bit of a slog at first but in the end I was glad I stuck with it. Matthew Rhys is a hell of an actor.

Funny thing about Matthew Rhys. I first learned about him when I watched the "Americans" a few years ago which by the way is a great series and if you haven't seen it, you should put it on your must see list. Anyways, I ended up watching an interview with Rhys about a year after I finished the series and I than learned he was British.

His accent is so spot on American, I never even came close to suspecting he was from the UK. The same thing happened to me with Christian Bale believe it or not. I never knew he was from the UK and I think it after his Batman movie I heard him interviewed and I'm like...GTFO...he's a Brit. Never knew as his accents in all these movies he did from American Pyscho to the Mikey Ward boxing movie, were all so spot on.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I actually did the same thing and quit in the middle of Season 1. Then at some point I watched a couple of Season 5 episodes when they were airing live and I thought they were excellent, so I picked it back up again and now it's one of my favorites. The first season isn't my favorite but it gets a more interesting over time.. similar to how everything in the world got a whole lot more interesting as the 1960s progressed.

I'm actually right now smack dab in the middle of the 1st season of Mad Men seeing as I said yesterday for some god forsaken reason, despite wanting to watch it, I never did. Well now I am and I'm damn glad about it. I'm chomping at the bit to keep going as episode 6 is on tap tonight.

Love the storylines. The whole way they depict the 60's in NYC area where I was born and raised back in that period makes it that much more nostaglic for me. Anyways, I'm getting a kick out of it. What is amazing and I just talked about this last night with my Mom and Dad, is how much smoking everyone did back than...in the office, restaurants, on trains, in interviews, in other peoples houses with kids around...basically everywhere smoking was going on.

I mean I knew there was alot of smoking going on but not THAT much...dang!

Reactions: leetch99

Deleted member 23124

I'm actually right now smack dab in the middle of the 1st season of Mad Men seeing as I said yesterday for some god forsaken reason, despite wanting to watch it, I never did. Well now I am and I'm damn glad about it. I'm chomping at the bit to keep going as episode 6 is on tap tonight.

Love the storylines. The whole way they depict the 60's in NYC area where I was born and raised back in that period makes it that much more nostaglic for me. Anyways, I'm getting a kick out of it. What is amazing and I just talked about this last night with my Mom and Dad, is how much smoking everyone did back than...in the office, restaurants, on trains, in interviews, in other peoples houses with kids around...basically everywhere smoking was going on.

I mean I knew there was alot of smoking going on but not THAT much...dang!

As an ex-smoker, I can state first hand that it's true -- the only place I honestly cannot recall smoking is in the subway...I know we used to smoke on the buses.

Deleted member 23124

Funny thing about Matthew Rhys. I first learned about him when I watched the "Americans" a few years ago which by the way is a great series and if you haven't seen it, you should put it on your must see list. Anyways, I ended up watching an interview with Rhys about a year after I finished the series and I than learned he was British.
Actually, he's Welsh. Can't say I've fond of him. Couldn't stand The Americans and or Perry Mason. I vaguely recall him being in Brothers & Sisters.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Actually, he's Welsh. Can't say I've fond of him. Couldn't stand The Americans and or Perry Mason. I vaguely recall him being in Brothers & Sisters.

Welsh...British...UK...Irish...Scotland....same area. You knew what I meant which was I had no clue he wasn't American.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Perry Mason remake on HBO was worth the watch fwiw.

I thought so, too. A bit of a slog at first but in the end I was glad I stuck with it. Matthew Rhys is a hell of an actor.

As an ex-smoker, I can state first hand that it's true -- the only place I honestly cannot recall smoking is in the subway...I know we used to smoke on the buses.

It took them two - three episodes to establish the character - his background and how he "stumbled" into being an attorney. From about 4th episode it was all about the case.

Deleted member 23124

It took them two - three episodes to establish the character - his background and how he "stumbled" into being an attorney. From about 4th episode it was all about the case.
As I stated, they rewrote the character....all that stuff in the "character building" episodes were added for reasons only known to the writers. Perry Mason never had a drinking problem or lived in a ramshackle home or ever did detective work....he also didn't "stumble" into being a lawyer.

Deleted member 23124

Welsh...British...UK...Irish...Scotland....same area. You knew what I meant which was I had no clue he wasn't American.
I'm kinda picky like the people over there are....my apologies.:naughty:

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
As I stated, they rewrote the character....all that stuff in the "character building" episodes were added for reasons only known to the writers. Perry Mason never had a drinking problem or lived in a ramshackle home or ever did detective work....he also didn't "stumble" into being a lawyer.

I agree.. nobody asked for that backstory. If they cut that out they could have shortened the series and made it more focused on the case and it would have been a lot better. I don't mind when a showrunner adds elements to a classic character's personality as long as it adds something of value, but I don't see what any of their changes added to the character or the story.

Deleted member 23124

I agree.. nobody asked for that backstory. If they cut that out they could have shortened the series and made it more focused on the case and it would have been a lot better. I don't mind when a showrunner adds elements to a classic character's personality as long as it adds something of value, but I don't see what any of their changes added to the character or the story.
I think the changes degraded the character....I wonder if they're going for ye olde "pulled himself up by the bootstraps and became a legend".

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I think Cobra Kai may have run its course. Third year is pretty repetitive . . . Danielson can’t figure out anything without the balance of Miyagi , Johnny tries but he can’t figure anything out while his Sensei is a sociopath.

Wash, rinse, repeat . . . Great

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
LMAO...I remember at the bars some nights I would have a smoke going in each hand . Might have been the odd time where I would also be trying to light the wrong end while thinking I was all cool and such in conversation with a pretty one....I'm sure those moments were impressive . I'm glad we get wiser as we get older ....long time ago for me now . That is probably why I missed out on some shows like the Wire back then...bar hopping was more fun.

Deleted member 23124

LMAO...I remember at the bars some nights I would have a smoke going in each hand . Might have been the odd time where I would also be trying to light the wrong end while thinking I was all cool and such in conversation with a pretty one....I'm sure those moments were impressive . I'm glad we get wiser as we get older ....long time ago for me now . That is probably why I missed out on some shows like the Wire back then...bar hopping was more fun.
I multi-tasked -- hopped and watched (thank goodness for VCRs.).

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Crushed S3 of Cobra Kai yesterday. Such cheesy, nostalgic, self-aware goodness.

Reactions: Leetch3

Deleted member 23124

Since I haven't seen any comments, I'm going to assume people were as underwhelmed by Ep. 6 of Your Honor as I was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad