Tuukka Rask VII

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
What Binnington displayed in the 1st period is exactly what Rask lacks. Rask had the better playoffs and the better Final, but when it came down to it at the very end, Binngton made numerous saves that he shouldn't have made while Rask let in 2 goals on 4 shots, even if they weren't egregious goals to give up. Binnington elevated his game, and Rask regressed.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I am saying it was a saveable tip shot, I am not saying it was a soft goal, or even a weak goal, saveable.
Rask was positioning himself to deflect the shot wide and instead it was deflected down and went five-hole.

Saveable by luck rather than skill, in the 0.1 seconds after the deflection there's nothing left to do. He would have had to precisely anticipate the five-hole deflection before it even took place.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
What Binnington displayed in the 1st period is exactly what Rask lacks. Rask had the better playoffs and the better Final, but when it came down to it at the very end, Binngton made numerous saves that he shouldn't have made while Rask let in 2 goals on 4 shots, even if they weren't egregious goals to give up. Binnington elevated his game, and Rask regressed.

Like game 6?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
It is unfair, but the timing matters.

One can argue that he outplayed Binnington this series and/or this playoffs, but when the chips were down Binnington saved his team’s ass tonight and Rask was ordinary.

Rask may have a hall of fame career when it’s all said and done, but if he doesn’t win a Cup as a starter, that’s a huge part of his legacy.
f***ing Binnington didn't do shit. I almost want to just leave the board and delete my account because I know that that's going to be the narrative because he had some flashy looking saves. But FFS it was all us shooting right into him. Marchand had the whole net, hits his arm. Johansson has the whole five-hole open, lifts into the abdomen. Krejci can't lift it over the pads. He got lucky. Early on he was the same bad rebound machine he was all series. The only reason it took 58 1/2 minutes to break the shutout was because after Marchand gifted them the backbreaking second goal, they just went into a defensive shell and had a permanent box around the slot keeping us from pouncing on any of his rebounds.

Binnington is a turd. He's Cam Ward, he's Antii Niemi, he's just right place right time. Won't be starting in the league in 3 years.

Reactions: markwart

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

And the 3 games where Binnington was AWFUL?

Rask didn't have a really bad game in the series. He was very good in 5 games, and ok in 2. If his teammates played as well as he did this series was over in 5, they did not

If Rask wasn't superhuman, this team would have been playing Golf in April, and nursing their offseason surgeries

Reactions: finchster and jonu

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Meh, he's the Bruins Luongo. Couldn't fault Lou on the game 7 loss either but teams move on from stigmas and losses. For whatever cruel twist of fate, Tuukka Rask gets the bad bounces or plays that lead to terrible results.

Hockey is so mental that perhaps he wins a Cup somewhere else but for whatever reason (not blaming him folks) he can't win that one game to shake this perception and this is another one on the pile.

It's no different than the Bruins annually beating the Leafs in game 7 in Boston; it's mental, it's self-fulfilling prophecy, it's bounces. It's just the same with Rask and how he will be perceived until he wins a Cup.

Reactions: Aeroforce

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon

Seems that someone has forgot what happened in game 6 already where Binnington totally shit the bed.

its easy for binnington to raise his game for 1 game to the level Rask has been playing for nearly all playoffs.

You are acting like all shots are worth the same when those 2 goals cannot be pinned on Rask.

Nose Face Killah

Dracarys
Dec 2, 2012
MA
Tuukka played lights out this postseason and some of you really want to blame him for this game? Blame the offense who didn’t score until 2 minutes to go in a game f***ing 7 AT HOME. We wouldn’t even have BEEN here without him

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
And the 3 games where Binnington was AWFUL?

Rask didn't have a really bad game in the series. He was very good in 5 games, and ok in 2. If his teammates played as well as he did this series was over in 5, they did not

If Rask wasn't superhuman, this team would have been playing Golf in April, and nursing their offseason surgeries

Agreed. But for whatever reason, this is the outcome.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Binnington is a turd. He's Cam Ward, he's Antii Niemi, he's just right place right time. Won't be starting in the league in 3 years.

Antti Niemi wasn't very good in 2010 when he won the Cup, but three years after winning the Cup in 2013 he was a Vezina finalist with Bobrovsky and Lundqvist.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Saveable by luck rather than skill, in the 0.1 seconds after the deflection there's nothing left to do. He would have had to precisely anticipate the five-hole deflection before it even took place.
Exactly. Had he been lucky, he could have stopped that. As it was, he played it the way he was supposed to. At the other end, Marchand should have scored on his one timer, but Binnington stumbled into the save by the edge of the fabric in his jersey. Never discount puck luck as a huge factor when the skill levels are even.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I feel bad for him. He had a great run and then got outplayed by Binnington the *****ebag.

Yup he got outplayed in 2 games, and he outplayed Binnington n 5 games, and one of the 2 games he didn't outplay him, he was outstanding, and the game was stolen by the incompetents

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Easy to say Rask should've made this save or that, but its false. The narrative is once again Maechand should have scored on that shot, or Nordstrom or Krejci or Pasta, but because they didn't we only had 1 goal for.

Silva

Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
I've wanted to trade Rask for years and even as recent as beginning of this season.

Rask's play second half of this season and all postseason has shut me up. I want him on our team for years to come. He gave everything had and was incredibly consistent for the entire postseason. The team, especially the "perfection" line, let him down.

Tim Thomas is my favorite athlete of all time from any sport. He will always be my favorite goalie. But guys, he was 32 the first year he started more than half the Bruins games, his first year as an NHL starter. He was 37 when the Bruins won the cup in 2011. Tuukka Rask is 32 RIGHT NOW. Goalies have long life spans in the NHL. I look forward to what Tuukka accomplishes in the next 5-10 years.

Reactions: smithformeragent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad