Player Discussion Tuukka Rask VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I think many don’t remember the vast waste land it was here between Moog/ Lemelin to Thomas/Rask.

It was horrific.

Dafoe was great for a little bit (wish we just paid him that year he held out) but totally agree.

Moog was acquired for a guy who went onto win the Cup but since then all our good goalies have found there way onto the roster in weird flukey form they weren't drafted.

Thomas signed to play in Providence the year before the lockout (actually suited up for us pre lockout one game I think.)

And Rask for Raycroft is just good luck mixed with incompetent GMing.

Once Tuukka leaves you might see us make a Jim Carey-esque goaltending blunder. Halak isn't young.

But man am I glad Rask doesn't have a Price type of contract only 2 years after this is ideal.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Do you remember who was the pair Grahame - XXX when the B's lost to NJ Devils in the quarterfinals? That was the year Samsonov got injured and barely healed by the playoffs. It's clearly a suppressed memory for me.

P.S.: Just remembered - Steve Shields. :(

It was a combo of Shields and Jeff Hackett in that playoff series. Grahame was traded to TB mid-season that year.

Also appearing during the 2002-03 season, future Calder winner Andrew Raycroft (5 GP) and future Vezina, Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup winner Tim Thomas (4 GP).

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I didn’t mind Byron Dafoe, but the defenses in front of him were atrocious.

The team defense in front of Dafoe in his first two seasons in Boston were quite good as players were buying into Burn's defensive system, which inflated his numbers quite a bit (especially 1998-99).

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think many don’t remember the vast waste land it was here between Moog/ Lemelin to Thomas/Rask.

It was horrific.

Just for fun, this is the waste land of goaltenders who appeared for the Boston Bruins from 1993-94 until the end of 2005-06, ranked by appearances (Regular Season and Playoffs).

1) Byron Dafoe - 307
2) Andrew Raycroft - 115
3) Rob Tallas - 87
4) Bill Ranford - 81
5) John Grahame - 76
6) Jon Casey - 68
7) Blaine Lacher - 52
8) Tim Thomas - 42
9) Steve Shields - 38
10) Craig Billington - 37
11) Vincent Riendeau - 31
12) Jim Carey - 29
13) Felix Potvin - 28
14) Petr Skudra - 26
15) Jeff Hackett - 21
16) Hannu Toivonen - 20
17) Scott Bailey - 19
18) John Blue - 18
19) Kay Whitmore - 5
20) Paxton Schafer - 3
21) Tim Cheveldae - 2
22) Jordan Sigalet - 1

Just to add some context, Andrew Raycroft, who essentially played just two full seasons is ranked 2nd in appearances.

A bonus prize if you can remember who Rob Tallas is, our No.3 ranked Goaltender.

I almost threw up in my mouth making this list.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
To contrast, the 2006-07 season until the end of 2017-18

1) Rask - 516
2) Thomas - 386
3) Khudobin - 62
4) Fernandez - 32
5) Chad Johnson - 27
6) Jonas Gustavsson - 24
7) Alex Auld - 23
8) Niklas Svedberg - 19
9) Hannu Toivonen - 18
10) Zane McIntyre - 8
11) Joey MacDonald - 7
12) Marty Turco - 5
13/14/15 - Brian Finley, Malcolm Subban, Phillip Sauve - 2 each

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
The team defense in front of Dafoe in his first two seasons in Boston were quite good as players were buying into Burn's defensive system, which inflated his numbers quite a bit (especially 1998-99).

I mean they had 3 guys play more than 60 games on that defensive core that season and one of them was Hal Gill. Ya they had bourque and Sweeney but for a large portion of that year there were some extensive injuries to half their defensive group.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
A bonus prize if you can remember who Rob Tallas is, our No.3 ranked Goaltender.

I almost threw up in my mouth making this list.

I had the pleasure of meeting Rob Tallas at my end of season hockey banquet when I was a squirt. If I recall correctly, he may have still been in Providence? Would've been 98 or 99. My folks still have a picture of me and him hanging in their place.

I think he's the goalie coach with the Panthers now. Believe he suited up as back up for a game a couple seasons ago in an emergency situation.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
From his play to his interviews it doesn’t look like he takes anything seriously anymore.

It wasn't his start.

They make the goalie change to tell the team to get their shit together as much as for the new goalie to play better.

Hes probably pissed that he isn't rested and sharp for Toronto because he was on point Monday and had to go into a game that was over and get lit up.

I don't blame him for this or saying whatever to the media. No comment is probably better but who cares.

Wasn't our night the D has been good so far this year.

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
Holy, the Rask hate here is so funny. A cheeky comment after a bad game and "He takes nothing seriously and only wants to cash in his pay cheque."

Throws a skate blade after a stupid stroke of bad luck in a playoff game and "He could have hurt someone!!!" when he shows some passion. HFboards is nuts when it comes to goalie expactations anyways, nearly every team board has the same kind of hate towards their #1 goalie, or rose tinted glasses towards their old goalies who did absolutely stupid stuff or let even worse goals than their #1 goalie has recently let in.

He is not the only starter struggling this season, borrowed this from mainboard:

After two abysmal performances (NYR and BUF) Price's S%age is .892

Bobrovsky .902
Crawford .904
Hellebuyck .907
Rask .901
MAF .901
Holtby .899
Jones .893
Murray .886
Allen .879
Schneider .862 (just came back from injury, I know)
Quick 8.45 (injured I know)

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Holy, the Rask hate here is so funny. A cheeky comment after a bad game and "He takes nothing seriously and only wants to cash in his pay cheque."

Throws a skate blade after a stupid stroke of bad luck in a playoff game and "He could have hurt someone!!!" when he shows some passion. HFboards is nuts when it comes to goalie expactations anyways, nearly every team board has the same kind of hate towards their #1 goalie, or rose tinted glasses towards their old goalies who did absolutely stupid stuff or let even worse goals than their #1 goalie has recently let in.

He is not the only starter struggling this season, borrowed this from mainboard:

Not counting Quick, there are 6 Stanley Cups on that list of struggling starters.

Could it be this change to their chest protectors is having a greater impact than we thought?

Reactions: Pia8988

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
Not counting Quick, there are 6 Stanley Cups on that list of struggling starters.

Could it be this change to their chest protectors is having a greater impact than we thought?

I dig it. If the new equipment means that .900 becomes the gold standard again, then let it be. We'll have to revise our expectations though.

Reactions: Dr Hook

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I dig it. If the new equipment means that .900 becomes the gold standard again, then let it be. We'll have to revise our expectations though.

I don't have an issue with it either. I thought it was ridiculous to begin with that the arm protection on these pads were about same width as their blockers.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I think Rask understands this game was just an anomaly going forward. There were two horrible goals let up by the goalies and the others they didn't have much of a shot on. I'm encouraged by the forward play tho as they may be breaking out.

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
That was pretty bad for a $7 million man.

Only the goal which he gave the pass on can be 90% put on Rask, there was a clear lack of communication there with the defense too.

1st goal he let in he had a 2man (at one point even 4man) mask in front of him, no chance at all.
2nd goal Rask has no other direction to shoot/pass the puck since his own D-man shuts the lane to the left.
3rd goal its a failed shot on a bouncing puck that was not intended to go where it went, and to top it off Bergeron tips it to change its trajectory to go even higher.

Halak's goals:

1st goal less mask than on Rask's first goal with the shot coming way before the dots. Halak out of position and leaves too much space glove side.
2nd goal ALL Bruins players chasing the puck and not keeping their men pretty much. Not Halak's goal. (He nearly got it with the paddle btw)
3rd goal Bruins number 20 chasing the puck on PK, once again making a great mask in front of your own goalie to hide the shot from the blueline.
4th goal tipped, no defensemen keeping the 1 man in front of net resulting in a free tip-off. From Finnish goalie coaching stand-point, for such a small goalie Halak makes the mistake of using the arms glued to the sides of his body approach on the shot from the blueline instead of having active hands in front of his body.
5th goal Halak using the old and outdated VH when the better option is to use Reverse VH in that situation. However, defense being horrible as per norm this game it seems by not keeping the men properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad