Tuukka Rask appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Rask wasn't great in games 1-4 but I thought he did a very good job in the last 3. His defense ruined him. He was left out to dry so many times. Everyone criticizing Rask realized most the goals he let in were in the same nature as the goals we whiffed on or hit the post. And we were pissed and astounded when they didn't go in. Rask is a great goalie and provides his defense the support they need. When he has no defense, he can only provide so much support.

Goalies can only do so much. Rask can only do so much when his teams scores 1 goal in 6 periods.

Was he perfect? God no. But what he gave the Bruins should have been good enough.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Rask wasn't great in games 1-4 but I thought he did a very good job in the last 3. His defense ruined him. He was left out to dry so many times. Everyone criticizing Rask realized most the goals he let in were in the same nature as the goals we whiffed on or hit the post. And we were pissed and astounded when they didn't go in. Rask is a great goalie and provides his defense the support they need. When he has no defense, he can only provide so much support.

Goalies can only do so much. Rask can only do so much when his teams scores 1 goal in 6 periods.

Was he perfect? God no. But what he gave the Bruins should have been good enough.

He was nowhere near good enough for the Bruins to win the series. He lost confidence and played deep in his net.

CERTAINLY not the only reason the Bruins lost. But one of them for sure.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Rask needed to learn as Tim Thomas did.

Rask is our keeper for a long stretch.

First 82 season - first with habs in the legs. Bell Center. Hope he learned, cause he is our man at the most important position.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Tuukka has had some great playoff series, but has manged to come up short too many times (2010, 2013, 2014).

Against Montreal:

Rask allows a goal at 2:11 in Game 6 -- game over
-- he went swimming with a pokecheck when he did not have to
Rask allows a goal at 2:18 in Game 7 -- game over
-- he caused the turnover with a lazy play that gave the Habs the puck

Rask had a .903 save percentage vs. Montreal.
That is very bad in 2014.

Take away the one great game he had (game 4 shutout), and he is at .883 (Doug Keans or Pete Peeters levels).

For a guy with a $7 million cap hit, that is just not enough.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I want Rask gone and I want a #2-3 shutdown defenseman with a decent pick/prospect in return. Not a popular opinion, but it's mine and I have been standing by it since 2010.

I said it when they signed him they should have went with Khubodin . Would have cost a lot cheaper and would have given the same result. Look at what he did on a bottom feeder like Carolina. Flipping Rask would have landed a big return.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
He wasn't his best but he wasn't the reason we lost. He gave this team a chance to win.
The fact that that most games were played with little to no offensive support until the very end of the game probably did not help, especially mentally. Not a great way to support your goaltender, especially if you know this is a team he struggles against. The mistakes he made were cashed in by the Habs every single time. Has to be frustrating watching the Bruins fail to capitalize on Price's.

He was phenomenal against Detroit. Disappointed that couldn't carry into this series.
Still the guy I want in our net. No question there.

1 goal scored in series clinching games 6/7. There's your dagger.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Rask allowed a goal at 2:11 in Game 6.
Rask allowed a goal at 2:18 in Game 7.

His ineptness led to both. The Bruins played from behind the vast majority of this series...I don't have the numbers, but the disparity is insane.

He is making his $7 million, and I am sure most fans are more upset than he is. Can't say I blame him for that, I guess.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
1 goal scored in series clinching games 6/7. There's your dagger.

Nope, Rask is to blame because he should have stopped all the point-blank one-times (not to mention the point-blank tips and deflections in off of our D) and with the lack of shots he faced today he should have had the energy to get down there throw a good screen or two on Price. Am I hating good enough? Sorry, but blaming Rask really seems to imply a lack of ability to analyze the game/breakdowns properly.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Rask allowed a goal at 2:11 in Game 6.
Rask allowed a goal at 2:18 in Game 7.

His ineptness led to both. The Bruins played from behind the vast majority of this series...I don't have the numbers, but the disparity is insane.

He is making his $7 million, and I am sure most fans are more upset than he is. Can't say I blame him for that, I guess.

Game 6: Miller takes a routine pass and bobbles it out front to a wide open Habs player. Yup, Rask's fault.

Game 7: Weise is left alone unmarked at the top of the crease to an easy one-timer. About 3 different defensive breakdowns on that play that led to a Hab being so incredibly wide-open at the side of the net. Again, Rask's fault.

I'll say it again: blaming Rask at all is the result of the lack of ability to either analyze team breakdowns or is due to a bias against Rask.

Either way, criticizing his play is completely without merit.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
I said it when they signed him they should have went with Khubodin . Would have cost a lot cheaper and would have given the same result. Look at what he did on a bottom feeder like Carolina. Flipping Rask would have landed a big return.

Come on now, Carolina isn't THAT bad.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Game 6: Miller takes a routine pass and bobbles it out front to a wide open Habs player. Yup, Rask's fault.

-- I believe the puck hit the Zamboni door opening, Rask was not ready.

Game 7: Weise is left alone unmarked at the top of the crease to an easy one-timer. About 3 different defensive breakdowns on that play that led to a Hab being so incredibly wide-open at the side of the net. Again, Rask's fault.

-- Rask misplayed a shoot-in, that gave the Habs possession.

-- These are small details, but are also things that must be paid attention to.

-- Plus, Rask got beaten on each and every breakaway the Habs got. The whole blame cannot go on Rask, but he is paid way too much to not at least be as good as the goalie at the other end. He wasn't as good as Crawford last season, and he wasn't as good as Price this season.

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
Thanks for being neat, Tuukka.

One of my favorite players, and there is so much to like, both as a person and a player.

That said, the contract is ******** and the lack of the ability to steal even ONE ****ing game is ********.

Hated the contract then, hate it now, and hopefully won't hate it forever.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
He gets 1 more crack at it. If he gets out played again Im trading him to whatever playoff team with no goalie (Minny, Pitt) wants him and trying to win with 1 mil cap hit plugs spending the dough elsewhere.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Thought he'd give up a soft goal earlier somewhat surprised it took almost 58 minutes.

I bet we'd have tied that game and then Tuukka let in a softie in OT to lose it if we killed that penalty.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
he really does need to work on some of the details of his game. The 3rd goal was bad luck b/c it hit Chara's skate, but if he has his glove up in position he gets lucky and it lands in his glove. Instead he had it sagging expecting the shot to go stick side and it caught him by surprise.

bar1

Apr 16, 2012
Can't believe some people are really blaming Rask of loosing the series. He wasn't phenomenal but he was really good.

Game 7
1st goal - did what he was suppose to do and directs the puck towards the corner. (it wasn't a kind of puck that was easily possessed). After this the defensive efforts are embarassing. Two guys chase the forward to the corner and leave Briere free. Bartkowski just stands in front of the net doesn't even try, Paille goes standing next to Barts - Weise sneaks in for easy goal. Rask has no chance.

2nd goal - Miller gets caught on forward, Bergeron starts rushing up -> Desharnais breaks free for 2-1 and goes towards the net (Rask moves to cover the net), quick pass and one-timer. If lucky Rask could have taken it but the reality is that some of these just go in.

3rd goal - goes in from Chara's skate. Nuff said.

+ Bruins score once.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
All I can say is Tuukka was not bad, he was just a tiny bit short of amazing... and many people, especially A.T.T. (after Tim Thomas), expect that from a "star goaltender".

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
There were two or three goals in this series I'd of liked back. The game 6 gift was a charlie foxtrot he had a part in. But most of that was Miller, which was heart breaking, b/c he was so dependable up until that moment. But that was a killer.

Had no chance on the first two tonight. Bart could have literally thrown his glove off, shoved finger up his nostril and tickled his frontal lobe, and been more helpful on tonight's 1st period gift. Because of that fact, that was basically a 2 on 0. Surprised he even got a piece of the second one. Bart was helpful once again, flying up the ice like Ray Bourque on the PK, blanking, and turning it over Wideman-style when he just couldn't, leading to an odd man rush. Then it goes off a skate in front for added humiliation.

Thought the rookie D could hang tough, but committed fatal errors at critical times. Losing Sieds ended up getting us in the end. When Price had to make big saves, we hit the post/crossbar, or it was by him. Didn't pressure Price nearly enough, and while we gave goals away.

But Tuukka is taking way too much blame from people, imo. Could he have been better? I suppose. Far from the reason this went down the way it did. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad