[Turris' knee injury]

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I didn't even know bout this Rugby tackle thing when I made my post.

I think my point stands. Cizikas isn't completely innocent in this. You have a rules framework when you step on the ice so that people don't get injured. I don't think any sane fan is saying Cizikas did it deliberately, but that doesn't change the fact that someone got hurt because he was pushing the envelope.

Cizikas needs a phone call from the league. I know the guy plays with a lot of fire to win the game, which is probably why he is effective, but he needs to play with enough control that this doesn't keep happening to other players. I don't care what the league does to make sure it doesn't keep happening, but if we keep seeing Cizikas' name associated to reckless plays, I don't know why anyone WOULDN'T see that as a problem.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 3m3 minutes ago
Kyle Turris is game-time decisions. #Sens

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I didn't even know bout this Rugby tackle thing when I made my post.

I think my point stands. Cizikas isn't completely innocent in this. You have a rules framework when you step on the ice so that people don't get injured. I don't think any sane fan is saying Cizikas did it deliberately, but that doesn't change the fact that someone got hurt because he was pushing the envelope.

Cizikas needs a phone call from the league. I know the guy plays with a lot of fire to win the game, which is probably why he is effective, but he needs to play with enough control that this doesn't keep happening to other players. I don't care what the league does to make sure it doesn't keep happening, but if we keep seeing Cizikas' name associated to reckless plays, I don't know why anyone WOULDN'T see that as a problem.

Give me a break. I see one player skating toward the puck, I see another player move toward the defender to swat his stick away. Cizikas made a desperation dive to clear the zone, Turris made an attempt to box him out to retain control. Both players made the right play, but they got tangled up. That's all there is to it.

Should Ollie Jokinen have gotten a phone call for slicing his teammate's throat with his skate?

Should Hamilton have had to talk to the DOPS when Stamkos suffered his leg injury?

It's hockey, stuff happens.

Nairbo

Nov 15, 2010
Ryan, Zbad and now Turris all taking what look like long term injuries and all seemingly perfectly fine afterwards (with the exception of Zbad missing a game)

Just crazy

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Give me a break. I see one player skating toward the puck, I see another player move toward the defender to swat his stick away. Cizikas made a desperation dive to clear the zone, Turris made an attempt to box him out to retain control. Both players made the right play, but they got tangled up. That's all there is to it.

Should Ollie Jokinen have gotten a phone call for slicing his teammate's throat with his skate?

Should Hamilton have had to talk to the DOPS when Stamkos suffered his leg injury?

It's hockey, stuff happens.

When Hossa played for Ottawa he took out Berard's eye. That one was gruesome. Look at my last post, I'm agreeing that **** happens, but again, isolated incidents.

You are fool though if you think some players are magical magnets for these types of incidents. Some players push the envelope too far and make the game unsafe as a result. I'm not passing judgement on Cizikas, he's a great player, but knowing about this Rugby incident now has me thinking that he needs a call from the league, not for a suspension, but a warning.

Nip it in the bud. Every player in the NHL should be playing with the caution and control necessary to prevent these types of incidents. Cizikas isn't a special case. He has to have the same caution and control as everyone else, and if he isn't showing that (and there are at least two incidents so far that are cause for concern if not more), that's the start of a pattern of behaviour.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
When Hossa played for Ottawa he took out Berard's eye. That one was gruesome. Look at my last post, I'm agreeing that **** happens, but again, isolated incidents.

You are fool though if you think some players are magical magnets for these types of incidents. Some players push the envelope too far and make the game unsafe as a result. I'm not passing judgement on Cizikas, he's a great player, but knowing about this Rugby incident now has me thinking that he needs a call from the league, not for a suspension, but a warning.

Nip it in the bud. Every player in the NHL should be playing with the caution and control necessary to prevent these types of incidents. Cizikas isn't a special case. He has to have the same caution and control as everyone else, and if he isn't showing that (and there are at least two incidents so far that are cause for concern if not more), that's the start of a pattern of behaviour.

They got tangled up and Turris fell awkwardly. Are you talking about a different incident in which Cizikas went after Turris? I didn't see that one.

In fact, Turris would have been completely fine if he had not tried to play the body on Cizikas at the last second as Casey was already in the act of making a play for the puck. It makes as much sense to blame Turris as it does to blame Cizikas, so there it is.

There was no poor judgement on Cizikas' part. He did absolutely nothing to suggest some "pattern". He made a play for the puck, and Turris got his leg caught in an awkward position.

I can't understand what your position is based on. He was involved in the accidental death of another person in a high contact sport (which the deceased should not have been playing in the first place, given his already delicate condition). That has absolutely nothing to do with this play.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Game time decision? Unreal.....looked like a long term injury....nice break for the sens.

Pronto

Mar 24, 2015
Gatineau
What I see is two players fighting for space. The only part where it might look like Cizikas is ''pushing the envelop'' is when battling for space, he grabs Turris, upper right leg when falling and that leg got caught under him. Had he not grabbed to his leg or let go of it in time, Turris` leg would'nt had been stuck. Is it a reckless play? I don't know.:dunno:

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
What I see is two players fighting for space. The only part where it might look like Cizikas is ''pushing the envelop'' is when battling for space, he grabs Turris, upper right leg when falling and that leg got caught under him. Had he not grabbed to his leg or let go of it in time, Turris` leg would'nt had been stuck. Is it a reckless play? I don't know.:dunno:

For me, saying Cizikas grabbed Turris is like saying Turris kicked Cizikas. Only in the most vague sense might that be true.

Pronto

Mar 24, 2015
Gatineau
For me, saying Cizikas grabbed Turris is like saying Turris kicked Cizikas. Only in the most vague sense might that be true.

Well, Cizikas was not gonna win that battle, Turris had a step on him and Cizikas reacted by throwing himself in Turris' legs. Play close attention to Cizikas left arm while he falls. The more I look at it, the more I find it to be in the ''slewfoot'' category.

Let's say for a second that Turris gets out of the play uninjured and the plays continue. I might even think that he could've got a minor (Turris) for interference. I just think Cizikas' play was... what's the word I'm looking for... desperate maybe.

Hey, I'm not gonna lose sleep over it and it's not a case of I'm right and you're wrong. Just stating my opinion with probably a little bias :naughty:

Last edited:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
How the heck he is a game time decision? Is his leg made of jello? That looked sickening, how he didnt completely rip his ACL and MCL is incredible. Or at the VERY least sprain is knee?!

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
It's nice to have a little luck.

Having Hammond, MacArthur and Zibanejad with concussion-type injuries isn't so lucky this year.

This one looked like it was about to dwarf those though. But yes, we're facing concussion issues as a team unfortunately

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
This is why he was convicted of manslaughter, and not murder. By definition, the act was completely unintentional but still resulted in a death. Near as I can tell, charging him with murder in any degree was never considered, given the lack of mens rea, which, along with actus reus, is a must for any murder charge.

Let me state that again. Cizikas was found guilty in the unintentional death of Manny Castillo. It was an accident.

Which leads me to ask, why on earth did you bring it up in this thread? Seems to have absolutely nothing to do with the accident that happened last night.

I don't think the manslaughter conviction is all that relevant but, according to the judge in the case, it was not an accident. Judge Duncan describ[ed] the tackle as an act of "retaliation" that cost Manny his life. "The playing field is not a criminal-law-free zone. The laws of the land apply in the same way as they do elsewhere." Cizikas was only 15, however, and people can change.

In any event, in common law, manslaughter isn't premeditated (i.e., the accused didn't plan to kill or seriously harm the deceased beforehand or have "malice aforethought") but it is intentional. There are various degrees of intent between premeditation and a complete accident.

I hope Turris isn't seriously injured.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Jumping on a guy's leg, grabbing it and twisting it is not accidental. I'll grant that it wasn't deliberate or malicious. But you have to be responsible for the actions that you take on the ice and that was completely reckless and an injury on a play like that is not a fluke. That was a very dangerous play that appears to have had a terrible outcome.

What? lol sens fan here. Terrible outcome but totally accidental.

Believe it or not, injuries will happen in hockey and many will be accidental. This is one of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad