Blue Jays Discussion: Turn out the lights, the season's over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
There's no way Jays will land Cole imo but think they'll bring in 2 decent UFAs(1 Starter, 1 position player). To me Cole seems destined to go to the Angels. Giles will be interesting to follow this off season as for me they can't enter next year with him on only 1 year of control. Either sign him to a 3-4 year deal or trade him. Is always risky signing pen pieces somewhat long term but seems necessary to me.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I don't believe so - his contract will be worth about 200 mil more than the biggest contract that Shatkins has ever given out. Also I think we're still about a year away from even thinking about contending. I think he's destined to go to the Yankees or Angels.

Plus, I think we need to add 2-3 reliable pitchers still, rather than a single ace. I could see us grabbing Keuchel on a short-term deal though.

That's what I think could be our selling point. We got a very good offence who can get him run support and they're just gonna keep getting better. Only problem is like you said where idk if we have a good 2 and 3 pitcher behind him just yet but you never know with pitchers. Some can surprise you like that one guy did this year for me until he got injured early and missed the year. I think that was Thornton? Maybe he wasn't a surprise but I'm not huge into baseball behind the scenes and all that and just watch the game when it's on TV and I'm home. Pearson looks promising though and I'm guessing will be with the Jays in a year most likely so that could be a 2nd ace potentially. Maybe SRF steps up and I think we got another 1 or 2 pitching prospects. Manoah is the most recent one I can think of. Got the 5th pick in the next draft and every mock I've looked at has us picking Lacy who they say is the best LHP in the draft with 4 good pitches. I know it'll be hard to outbid the Yankees because they'll probably give him whatever he wants and also have the high powered offence, but I don't think we should shy away from paying him that much even if we feel we're not gonna be that great his 1st year here.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
It'll probably be better to just sign a FA but Marlins won't be good for a long time still so if it doesn't cost too much I'd be interested for the Jays to trade for Garrett Cooper. Played mostly 1st last year with a bit of corner outfield. Similar average exit velo as Vladdy Jr. had and his biggest knock has been staying healthy. If he stays healthy and switches the pitcher friendly Miami park for Rogers Centre he could easily be a 30+ hr guy with a good OBP and passable defense. Under control until 2024 and somewhat versatile player

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Could anyone see a soft deal for Price depending on how much the Red Sox were willing to swallow on that contract?

Given Boston's financial situation, I would be more interested in helping them out by taking on the full contract and getting them to throw in some valuable pieces as well. It's too bad their farm sucks so much.

Reactions: kb

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I saw Wilner wanted the Jays to sign Castellanos. Is that a realistic target?

It's realistic in that he's not going to sign a particularly big contract and the Jays could easily afford him. But I don't see how he makes sense unless they're comfortable handing him the DH job for a few years. He just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If you’re the Blue Jays, you need to pitch to Strasburg and Cole.

Unlikely either comes here, but you need to be involved. Have it out there you are being aggressive.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
There's no way Jays will land Cole imo but think they'll bring in 2 decent UFAs(1 Starter, 1 position player). To me Cole seems destined to go to the Angels. Giles will be interesting to follow this off season as for me they can't enter next year with him on only 1 year of control. Either sign him to a 3-4 year deal or trade him. Is always risky signing pen pieces somewhat long term but seems necessary to me.

Giles is a interesting situation.

We are at the point now where we want to adding pitching to support our lineup, but Giles is someone that could get us a good return. Then of course we could extend him, but do we want to be the team that gives him 4-5 years?

We don’t really have a clear cut closing option after him, so I don’t think he moves, but we’ll see

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
If you’re the Blue Jays, you need to pitch to Strasburg and Cole.

Unlikely either comes here, but you need to be involved. Have it out there you are being aggressive.
I tend to agree. I don’t think there are too many needs on the offence side. Defensively, maybe a real hound in CF. But, it’s pretty obviously pretty much pitching pitching and more pitching.
How much do you think the team needs to add to get in the ballpark of being competitive?
Maybe two starters that are better than anything in house? One other heavy reliever?
There’s merit looking forward to making those moves now, before internal options get really pricey and to establish order with the rotation and pen.
By the end of next year there should be plenty of pushing upwards from pitching in the system from Kay and Pearson and maybe a couple AAA pen arms and all of this years AA group.
With plenty of financial flexibility, some depth in the minors, maybe it could be a big off-season.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
Would a Gurriel - Grichuk - Castellanos OF be good enough? How would they be defensively?

I'm tired of the mediocre level of play from Hernandez, Fisher, McKinney types. Castellanos has good onbase skills that were lacking from out outfielders.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Would a Gurriel - Grichuk - Castellanos OF be good enough? How would they be defensively?

I'm tired of the mediocre level of play from Hernandez, Fisher, McKinney types. Castellanos has good onbase skills that were lacking from out outfielders.

Castellanos is a really terrible defender.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Castellanos doesn't make sense because he's pretty much a DH that's faking it (barely) in the field. He's a crap 3B, a crap OF and he might be passable at 1B if a team wanted to try him there, but the Jays are already in a position where adding a guy who is limited to 1B/DH probably hurts more than helps.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Could anyone see a soft deal for Price depending on how much the Red Sox were willing to swallow on that contract?
I suggested something around Price a few weeks ago and no one even responded lol. I think if they eat a decent amount of the contract we could get him for secondary prospects. I’d think about it

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I am not very knowledgable when it comes to mlb contracts. Do teams get comp picks for players they lose, like rfa's in the nhl?

there is some compensation for signing the upper echelon of free agents. Teams have to give qualifying offers that are significant. I don’t have the time to break it down but it’s changed over the last few years. Now compensation is only attached really to the very best players. Aside from that once a player is a free agent they can go anywhere without the old team getting any compensation. In baseball they are just called free agents.

Reactions: CatchyTune

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Castellanos doesn't make sense because he's pretty much a DH that's faking it (barely) in the field. He's a crap 3B, a crap OF and he might be passable at 1B if a team wanted to try him there, but the Jays are already in a position where adding a guy who is limited to 1B/DH probably hurts more than helps.

The primary target for position players should be a CF. There's no other huge need, and they have two guys who look like solid regulars in the corner OF spots and a bunch of youngish secondary options. They have Alford and Davis as a couple of maybes in CF and then... like... Palacios? Wall?

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I know baseball off-season isn't like hockey, and it takes weeks for players to sign, but when if the official start of the off-season.

While FA is a strong possibility for the Jays can't forget about trades either. Jays have some good prospects they could use as trade bait.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

You'd think Mike Wilner would have reached a level of baseball experience to recognize that baseball requires most of the lineup to be at a bare minimum competent defenders. I know defense doesn't generate sexy offensive stats but bad defense helps generate ugly pitching stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad