Blue Jays Discussion: Turn out the lights, the season's over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Another back end of the rotation option, albeit more proven than some of the others. Can’t imagine it will cost too much given his 2 options years aren’t the cheapest. Possible the Brewers were going to decline and got something small from us as we’ll pick up next years option anyway.

Last edited:

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I’m pretty sure I made a post about acquiring Chase Anderson a while ago. He was a good buy-low candidate who had multiple years of control. Either way, I like the move, his change up is a plus pitch.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Underlying numbers don't seem great. Also, hasn't exactly shown to be much of an innings eater.

Low risk for sure, but really underwhelming. I guess it's another year of throw a bunch of poo at the wall and see what sticks?

Here's hoping the next couple of months bring something a little more confidence inspiring....maybe it's just me?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Underlying numbers don't seem great. Also, hasn't exactly shown to be much of an innings eater.

Low risk for sure, but really underwhelming. I guess it's another year of throw a bunch of poo at the wall and see what sticks?

Here's hoping the next couple of months bring something a little more confidence inspiring....maybe it's just me?

Odd take.....unless it's just another thinly veiled shot at management?

He was brought in for the back of the rotation.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
We have a trade to announce...

This needed the Trollin' Gary Bettman 'I think you're gonna want to hear this!' Gif for emphasis. If such a thing exists. :laugh:

I love that the first twitter reaction is some guy crying that this shows that cheap Rogers will trade all the good prospects for garbage because they're cheap. Then when the price tag gets announced as just Spanbarger, he doubles down on how it shows that they're cheap and cites that Anthopoulos traded good prospects away too even though it was a totally different scenario from both now and what this guy is suggesting.

social media really reinforces how dumb people are.

Reactions: kb

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
MLB free agency: 10 key questions with Nationals' stars, Gerrit Cole, Scott Boras set for big offseasons

9. Are there any sleeper teams?

Of course. The Chicago White Sox figure to do something as they try to shift from rebuilder to contender; the Texas Rangers have a new ballpark to open and a rotation to upgrade; and the Cincinnati Reds are presumably looking at wholesale changes if they don't reach the postseason (or come close to it), which may influence their decision-making process this winter. The Toronto Blue Jays should also drop some coin, but it's anyone's guess as to how much.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
This needed the Trollin' Gary Bettman 'I think you're gonna want to hear this!' Gif for emphasis. If such a thing exists. :laugh:

I love that the first twitter reaction is some guy crying that this shows that cheap Rogers will trade all the good prospects for garbage because they're cheap. Then when the price tag gets announced as just Spanbarger, he doubles down on how it shows that they're cheap and cites that Anthopoulos traded good prospects away too even though it was a totally different scenario from both now and what this guy is suggesting.

social media really reinforces how dumb people are.
I really think there should be a minimum intelligence level to be met before posting on social media, or here. :laugh:

Reactions: Forgotusername

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Odd take.....unless it's just another thinly veiled shot at management?

He was brought in for the back of the rotation.

We have 5 guys for the back of the rotation. How many backs of the rotation are there?

As far as a thinly veiled shot at management - I don't like or dislike them. They've done some nice things and some not so nice things. So far the major league impact of those moves, good and bad, have mostly yet to be seen. In a couple of years, it'll be a lot easier to see how management has fared.

I'm just not sure why the team needs another back of the rotation starter - unless they aren't sure the back of the rotation starters they already have aren't the right ones?

There are more moves to come of course, I'm just not sure why this one was necessary. Didn't know I had to like everything Atkins does?

Reactions: trellaine201

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Brewers decline option on Thames.

Milwaukee really clearing some money. Have holes at 3B, C and pitching. Give us some prospects for Maile, Drury, and Shoemaker.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I like Anderson as a bounceback candidate worth taking a flyer on. Financially, they can very easily afford the $8.5 million risk, and the acquisition cost was basically nothing. Not a bad little move. What I really like about him is that he's a hard thrower, and (without digging into the numbers too much) strikes me as the kind of guy who could be flipped into a high-leverage reliever if he doesn't turn things around as a starter.

Right now: Anderson, Shoemaker, Thornton, Kay, Waguespack, Borucki.

Add one starter to the top of the rotation and that's not bad, especially once Pearson joins early in the season.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
We have 5 guys for the back of the rotation. How many backs of the rotation are there?

As far as a thinly veiled shot at management - I don't like or dislike them. They've done some nice things and some not so nice things. So far the major league impact of those moves, good and bad, have mostly yet to be seen. In a couple of years, it'll be a lot easier to see how management has fared.

I'm just not sure why the team needs another back of the rotation starter - unless they aren't sure the back of the rotation starters they already have aren't the right ones?

There are more moves to come of course, I'm just not sure why this one was necessary. Didn't know I had to like everything Atkins does?
Guys are back of the rotation starters for a reason: you can't really count on them. So you want more than there are spots, both to account for variable performance and to create depth to weather injuries. Acquiring Chase Anderson on November 4th says nothing about what the rest of the offseason will look like. The Jays have many holes in the rotation and they can't all be filled with Cole/Strasburg/Wheeler/Odorizzi. Maybe they do end up shopping in the bargain bin this winter, but this move doesn't give us info on that either way.

kb

Aug 28, 2009

This is a fail from A to Z.

There is no downside to this. If you have to look so hard for a downside, perhaps you just don't want to see an upside?

Most of the back of the rotation options are kids. If they can't win a roster spot over him, perhaps they aren't ready?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Guys are back of the rotation starters for a reason: you can't really count on them. So you want more than there are spots, both to account for variable performance and to create depth to weather injuries. Acquiring Chase Anderson on November 4th says nothing about what the rest of the offseason will look like. The Jays have many holes in the rotation and they can't all be filled with Cole/Strasburg/Wheeler/Odorizzi. Maybe they do end up shopping in the bargain bin this winter, but this move doesn't give us info on that either way.
Exactly this.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
What pitchers are available that won't have a qualifying offer attached to them? I don't see Atkins giving up a high 2nd rounder along with international money at this point.

Keuchel... Not sure who else.

As for the trade it seems like a decent buy low. Probably a #4-5 on good team. Arguably our best pitcher at the moment. Our rotation right now is slim pickings.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Nice addition and no real cost. Fits nicely on the current roster as a placeholder.
Anderson, Shoemaker and Thornton make for what appears to be a pretty competitive 3-5 rotation. And, there’s lots of guys in the depth and AAA mix, some with pretty good upside, including Borucki on the mend. There will be good talent pushing upwards.
An aggressive play on a top of the rotation starter would be nice.
Maybe there’s enough middle-tier prospect capital to add an overpriced but serviceable starter?
Also.
TSN’s top 50 FA list showed plenty of interesting options on the pitching front that were pegged to be realistic at 3-4 year terms.
A strong, and well positioned rotation doesn’t seem that far off.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Nice addition and no real cost. Fits nicely on the current roster as a placeholder.
Anderson, Shoemaker and Thornton make for what appears to be a pretty competitive 3-5 rotation. And, there’s lots of guys in the depth and AAA mix, some with pretty good upside, including Borucki on the mend. There will be good talent pushing upwards.
An aggressive play on a top of the rotation starter would be nice.
Maybe there’s enough middle-tier prospect capital to add an overpriced but serviceable starter?
Also.
TSN’s top 50 FA list showed plenty of interesting options on the pitching front that were pegged to be realistic at 3-4 year terms.
A strong, and well positioned rotation doesn’t seem that far off.

3-5 in an MLB rotation is the one area on a team I may be interested in sacrificing $$ and go for quantity rather then spending 12-15 million per year on a long term deal for a quality mid rotation starter. It just seems so risky, they seem to have a lot of up and down years. If we have a budget I’d rather the teams dollars go to middle of the order bats or an Ace, it seems like a safer investment. As others have said I like this rotation if we can get another top of the rotation starter and if Pearson is up and performs like a #2 it starts to look good

2. Pearson
3. Anderson
4. Shoemaker
5. Wageuspack, Thornton, Borucki, SRF, Kay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->