Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
1% lol.

Screenshot_20230405-121411.png

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
RNH when he hits 100:
View attachment 682091
Yes, he'll be able to grow a playoff beard by then.
It’s funny, I remember teasing Nuge on how weak he was and he gotta stop training with his brother in the off-season and get tougher. Then he goes out this year and pounds the piss outta that Holl for the Leafs. Maybe Nuge was reading our comments.
I’m sorry Nuge

RNH having a year. Just amazing!

Won’t be around for this one. Going to the Regina pats game tonight. Game 4!
Well u r witnessing a great player . Vancouver should have tanked. Hometown boy

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
No sire. Even this season teams have already rested their best players. Not played at all in some games. Even the official reason has been written down and told out loud: "Rest".

I hope nothing bad happens tonight. The sport is very,, very fast and dangerous. On any given sunday, anything can happen. Said the oliver stone film back in 1999. My motto in life has been the same as many other coaches; Rest your best. And then you get the win.
With your risk tolerance, I'm assuming the entirety of your savings is in a 0.25% interest savings account.

• Haha
Reactions: xoczar99ox

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Simple math simplified to just zeroing chance of injury during a game. What if Connor gets injured in the pressbox eating a pancake? What's the risk of injury if playing the game? Its not zero but its not exactly high either. Besides breaking his collar bone, McDavid has missed 6 games due to injury for a total of 43. Other games were due to illness and COVID so you can exclude that. 2 injuries in 565 games. So then you would need to take into account the probability of injury 2/565 then the probability of a serious injury 1/2 (we'll keep it simple and only refer to McDavid stats). Probability of a playoff effecting injury = (2/565)*(1/2)*100 = 0.177%.

You're not including the risk to the standings at all. The oilers have lost 1 game to the ducks this year already. Oilers went to OT last game against the sharks and they haven't beat the Avs this season. There's also a morale boost to winning out the season, hitting 150 points etc.

Its all about the value you put to winning the division vs risk of injury.
Are you really trying to equate the danger and risk of a physical sport, and dangerous sport with lots of associated injuries to the chances of getting injured eating a pancake? If not why conflate the two?

Risk to standings? The Oilers likely finish 2nd whether they rest McDrai/Nuge or not. They are guaranteed a top 3 division spot in anycase.

Morale boost headed into playoffs? You mean like the Jets sweeping us in a series a couple years ago when they looked dead in the water? Having seen many teams limp into playoffs and rest players I wonder how important going hot into playoffs is. Of course you can't put a statistic to Morale boost as its subjective and inferred.

Value of winning division? I put next to zero on that. Negligible. For an Oiler team I just see it as added stressor. What Value did the Flames obtain for that last season?

SC championship teams like Colorado and Tampa have rested and even shelved players for extended times further to their rested use in playoffs. NHL playoffs are undisputably the most arduous team sport challenge in sports. Its a battle of endurance and attrition. Starting them with your top players rested is plausibly beneficial. I would park McDrai for at least a couple games. Give them even a week off to sort out any bumps. I even think McD was possibly hurt with a vicious crosscheck he received multiple games ago. (McNabb hit) Whats the harm in resting him. Its not just an injury argument. Its give top players a rest because you know the road ahead in playoffs is difficult and demanding.

Last edited:

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
With a single point tonight, RNH will hit 100 for the first time in his career.

There's no better time to do it than against the Ducks, and I can bet you that the Ducks definitely don't want to win this game.

Let's see RNH hit 100 and McDavid hit 65.
Remember Gagner-Cogliano-Nilsson; Hall-RNH-Eberle? lol.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Are you really trying to equate the danger and risk of a physical sport, and dangerous sport with lots of associated injuries to the chances of getting injured eating a pancake? If not why conflate the two?

Risk to standings? The Oilers likely finish 2nd whether they rest McDrai/Nuge or not. They are guaranteed a top 3 division spot in anycase.

Morale boost headed into playoffs? You mean like the Jets sweeping us in a series a couple years ago when they looked dead in the water? Having seen many teams limp into playoffs and rest players I wonder how important going hot into playoffs is. Of course you can't put a statistic to Morale boost as its subjective and inferred.

Value of winning division? I put next to zero on that. Negligible. For an Oiler team I just see it as added stressor. What Value did the Flames obtain for that last season?

SC championship teams like Colorado and Tampa have rested and even shelved players for extended times further to their rested use in playoffs. NHL playoffs are undisputably the most arduous team sport challenge in sports. Its a battle of endurance and attrition. Starting them with your top players rested is plausibly beneficial. I would park McDrai for at least a couple games. Give them even a week off to sort out any bumps. I even think McD was possibly hurt with a vicious crosscheck he received multiple games ago. (McNabb hit) Whats the harm in resting him. Its not just an injury argument. Its give top players a rest because you know the road ahead in playoffs is difficult and demanding.

Even if they dont sit Draisaitl and McDavid, it would be nice to at least see a balanced time on ice at the very least or even a more heavy minutes for the bottom 6. Theres no reason to play guys like Kostin/Broberg 6 minutes for the remainder of the games. Give Broberg 20 minutes. Give Kostin 18 minutes. Give Bjugstad 20 mins etc.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is hardly a useless game in the standings. Against a team like LA home ice advantage and last change is a big deal. But they still have a reasonable chance to win the conference if they win out.
The home team in the Edmonton LA 7 game series won only 3/7 games. Arguably the home or road had no effect, and if it did a slightly deleterious effect. Indeed the Oilers only won the series because they were able to defeat LA in LA, in game 6 which was only a deciding game because LA won game 5 in our barn.

Next, the Oilers are a better team on the road this season than they are at home. The Oilers have a higher road Winning percentage.

I don't see anything specific to the LA matchup(which is impending) that makes home or road all that significant. Oft times it can be advantage to start a series on the road and get either a split or take both games. With LA struggling to score and suddenly feeling pressure I see starting on road as even an advantage in the series. No pressure for the Oilers, LA would be squarely facing pressure, and McDrai etal, starting at home. I think it would crack the Kings..

Finally, LA put up 40shots in our barn and were at least somewhat competitive in that game. LA could barely complete a pass playing at home and were reduced to simply dumping pucks in all night which is advantage Oilers as we are a far bigger team and recover vast majority of those dump ins. LA had only 10SOG through almost two periods yesterday. They could barely even establish in our zone and seldom did in the third period.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
New D&D movie.

Survivor is also on tonight. Survivor casted a few geeks, who love this stuff, to be on air at the same time the movie hit theaters. They even have a sword and shield as immunity idols. Surely just a coincidence.
There was an old D&D movie and a new one? lol I just checked, there might be more D&D movies than Star Wars or Hobbit movies. hard pass ;)

herestohoping

Nov 14, 2009

You've been here awhile, I would have thought that you would have got the Penner injury reference there. If you read the rest of the paragraph I did the probability of injury that would effect playoffs but its easier to ignore that than to build a strawman argument.

If you saw my previous post I talked about evaluating based on Vegas and Oilers games and resting based on that. Vegas' last 4 games have stronger opponents than the oilers. There is still a chance, but if it lessens then yes rest players. If Vegas loses and oilers win tonight its open.

They didn't win the division and played the higher seeded Jets. Yes its subjective, all about the room what they want and what they're looking to achieve. There's the POV of being top of the division and there's also something to be said about being the underdog. Being the underdog can force a team to be more strategic and being top a false sense of security. I don't think the oilers will have this issue given their past. Morale is especially important for goalies Skinner is on a tear and Campbell coming off a shutout. Campbell getting his confidence up going into the playoff would be ideal, and would be more difficult to do sitting our best players. But again its about evaluating the games play out.

How did winning the division go for Colorado? Swept Nashville, swept the Oilers and won the cup. Calgary won their first match up as well, having home ice advantage and playing a weaker team can mean more rest for the next match up.

Again, I didn't say not rest them. Focus on winning tonight and see what Vegas does. If there is a injury then absolutely rest, there was no mention of an existing injury in the post I was replying to just a concern about getting injured. You don't know how the players are feeling and I don't know either. I do see the benefit in resting but also see the benefit in a weaker matchup, home ice and hitting goals that the team wants.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

herestohoping

Nov 14, 2009
If you dont get it sire. You are then just different than so many of us coaches. I understand and I forgive you. I believe in Him.
What do you forgive me for, having a different opinion? There's no forgiveness needed... people can have opposing opinions and not be wrong. Your forgiveness sounds like my opinions are wrong whereas having differing opinions should be accepted on matters which are subjective.

you believe in him? Who are you referring to?

Also I think you are meaning to use the term Sir, I would say is a little too formal for an hockey forum but nothing wrong with being polite. However I am not your Sire, I am not your lord or your forefather. The only reason I mention this is I see you using it multiple times.
But yeah, not playing and sitting on the chair will not get my best player injured. Never has. Playing in the nhl and nfl has always, always injured players in these meaningless games before the playoffs. And things, will happen again. Me and my investment group will keep on playing like our filosofy teaches and so do other (nhl teams). And we win. 👍
There are risks in everyday life. One of the most dangerous things we can do, we do daily and that is drive a car. Accidents are everywhere and while I agree you can minimize them but there is no eliminating ALL risks. There is no control over what others do, people are human, people make mistakes, people trip on themselves etc... Everyone has their risk tolerances. Again I did not say don't rest but I laid out an logic for playing McDavid at least tonight and the next game. It depends on Vegas. I get the advantage to resting players and making sure everyone is feeling good for the playoffs.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I definitely think home ice is a priority. The Edmonton crowd is a huge advantage in the playoffs, you want game 7s to be here, and you want the first two games of the series here as well. Until that's locked up, I wouldn't be resting anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad