Pre-Game Talk: Turn of the century for RNH

Status
Not open for further replies.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
RNH when he hits 100:
20230405_073251.jpg

Yes, he'll be able to grow a playoff beard by then.

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022
Imagine if some of the stars gets injured in a useless game like this..........? The playoffs are so near and only them matter.

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022
Players can get injured in any game, it's an inherent systematic risk.
Not in stores or sofa or at chair. That is why many teams rest their players, so they minimize that risk to 0%. Easy. No game, no injury. Then playoffs start: the best players win.

Great organizations do that.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
(continue rant)

Id say the fact that we are even discussing Beniers vs Skinner means that McDavid was robbed--but we probably thought that anyway.

Although I appreciate the cases for both Beniers and Panarin. But in terms of being "most proficient in first year of play" all-star goalie>less than ppg center.....and everyone knew that McDavid was more proficient then Panarin despite the age difference. But the narrative at that time was the shortened season for McDavid (no penalty) and downplaying the age factor gave Panarin the award.

So fast forwarding to Skinner if you downplay the age factor again and put the appropriate value on goaltending then Skinner should already be talked about as a front-runner.

herestohoping

Nov 14, 2009
Imagine if some of the stars gets injured in a useless game like this..........? The playoffs are so near and only them matter.

Its not a useless game. Oilers can still end up on top of the Division and play Seattle/Jets vs where we sit right now playing the Kings. Home Ice advantage would also be nice. Vegas has the hardest schedule down this stretch and Oilers have the easiest. Oilers also have the Tie Breaker. So Vegas max points to jump in standings would be 2-1-1 with the Oilers going 4-0. Lets be a little more cautious and they drop one of those games and go 3-1-0. Vegas max points would 1-2-1. So tonight is big in terms of the Vegas and Kings. I'd evaluate after tonight and after the 8th where Vegas plays Dallas. Vegas needs to lose at least 1 of those and of course if the oilers lose any of those games I'd start resting players. But I mean McDavid hitting 150.... I wouldn't want to get in the way of that either.

Vegas last 4 games - Kings, Stars, Kraken, Kraken
LA Kings last 4 games - Vegas, Avs, Nucks, Ducks
Oilers last 4 games - Ducks, Sharks, Avs, Sharks

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022
Its not a useless game. Oilers can still end up on top of the Division and play Seattle/Jets vs where we sit right now playing the Kings. Home Ice advantage would also be nice. Vegas has the hardest schedule down this stretch and Oilers have the easiest. Oilers also have the Tie Breaker. So Vegas max points to jump in standings would be 2-1-1 with the Oilers going 4-0. Lets be a little more cautious and they drop one of those games and go 3-1-0. Vegas max points would 1-2-1. So tonight is big in terms of the Vegas and Kings. I'd evaluate after tonight and after the 8th where Vegas plays Dallas. Vegas needs to lose at least 1 of those and of course if the oilers lose any of those games I'd start resting players. But I mean McDavid hitting 150.... I wouldn't want to get in the way of that either.

Vegas last 4 games - Kings, Stars, Kraken, Kraken
LA Kings last 4 games - Vegas, Avs, Nucks, Ducks
Oilers last 4 games - Ducks, Sharks, Avs, Sharks
There are other players who get the job done..... its the anaheim ducks. Its also a good challenge for them to win. Great coaches do exactly that: put the team in a different, exceptional situation and see how they react. At the same time the risk of the best player getting injured goes go zero. Simple math.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Not in stores or sofa or at chair. That is why many teams rest their players, so they minimize that risk to 0%. Easy. No game, no injury. Then playoffs start: the best players win.

Great organizations do that.
I know someone who broke their leg slipping on a spill of water on the floor. Shit happens.

Reactions: GreeningOil

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I know someone who broke their leg slipping on a spill of water on the floor. Shit happens.

John VanBiesbrouck fell through a glass coffee table or something like that. Broberg this year nearly sliced his fingers off making food. Joe Sakic nearly had his arm ripped off by a snowblower. And multiple players sustain serious injuries training.

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022
Rest them.
But they have a duty to play, NHL rules forces the best to play if Im right?
No sire. Even this season teams have already rested their best players. Not played at all in some games. Even the official reason has been written down and told out loud: "Rest".

I hope nothing bad happens tonight. The sport is very,, very fast and dangerous. On any given sunday, anything can happen. Said the oliver stone film back in 1999. My motto in life has been the same as many other coaches; Rest your best. And then you get the win.

Reactions: SwedishFire

herestohoping

Nov 14, 2009
There are other players who get the job done..... its the anaheim ducks. Its also a good challenge for them to win. Great coaches do exactly that: put the team in a different, exceptional situation and see how they react. At the same time the risk of the best player getting injured goes go zero. Simple math.
Simple math simplified to just zeroing chance of injury during a game. What if Connor gets injured in the pressbox eating a pancake? What's the risk of injury if playing the game? Its not zero but its not exactly high either. Besides breaking his collar bone, McDavid has missed 6 games due to injury for a total of 43. Other games were due to illness and COVID so you can exclude that. 2 injuries in 565 games. So then you would need to take into account the probability of injury 2/565 then the probability of a serious injury 1/2 (we'll keep it simple and only refer to McDavid stats). Probability of a playoff effecting injury = (2/565)*(1/2)*100 = 0.177%.

You're not including the risk to the standings at all. The oilers have lost 1 game to the ducks this year already. Oilers went to OT last game against the sharks and they haven't beat the Avs this season. There's also a morale boost to winning out the season, hitting 150 points etc.

Its all about the value you put to winning the division vs risk of injury.

Reactions: capazzo

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022
Simple math simplified to just zeroing chance of injury during a game. What if Connor gets injured in the pressbox eating a pancake? What's the risk of injury if playing the game? Its not zero but its not exactly high either. Besides breaking his collar bone, McDavid has missed 6 games due to injury for a total of 43. Other games were due to illness and COVID so you can exclude that. 2 injuries in 565 games. So then you would need to take into account the probability of injury 2/565 then the probability of a serious injury 1/2 (we'll keep it simple and only refer to McDavid stats). Probability of a playoff effecting injury = (2/565)*(1/2)*100 = 0.177%.

You're not including the risk to the standings at all. The oilers have lost 1 game to the ducks this year already. Oilers went to OT last game against the sharks and they haven't beat the Avs this season. There's also a morale boost to winning out the season, hitting 150 points etc.

Its all about the value you put to winning the division vs risk of injury.
If you dont get it sire. You are then just different than so many of us coaches. I understand and I forgive you. I believe in Him.

But yeah, not playing and sitting on the chair will not get my best player injured. Never has. Playing in the nhl and nfl has always, always injured players in these meaningless games before the playoffs. And things, will happen again. Me and my investment group will keep on playing like our filosofy teaches and so do other (nhl teams). And we win. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad